Most common repairs to be made in multi-family houses

Most common repairs to be made in multi-family houses

Investor · Social Circle, GA · Member since 2013 · 60 posts · 10 votes

Quick version: In your collective landlording experiences, what would you say are the most consistent maintenance and repair issues that you run into, particularly when dealing with multifamily houses.

Backstory: I'm selling my house. Since this is kind of a new start for me, I've decided (after lurking a little bit on this site) to obtain my first multifamily property. (Also, is that a hyphenated word or just a regular compound word?) 

My finances aren't quite where I want them to be yet, though, so I'm going to wait until they are. In the interim, I want to practice some of the basic repair skills that I'll need to draw upon to be the sort of landlord who doesn't have to blow cash on a contractor every time the tiniest thing malfunctions. 

Thing is, I don't know where to start. So, I've come here to ask you: What are some repair and maintenance skills that I absolutely MUST learn to maximize my effectiveness as a landlord. I take book/YouTube recommendations, too!

Finally, do any of those skills require standing in order to practice? Weird question, I know. I have a broken leg with about three weeks left in the cast, but I'd still at least like to get started now with some of the easier tasks since I've got the time on my hands. 

Anyway, thanks very much for the assist. I'm planning on being much more active in this forum in the coming weeks. I joined a while back, but sort of went through an I-don't-know-what-to-do-with-my-life phase that seems to have come full circle. Is this what my thirties are going to be like?

0Reply
58 views

Most Popular Reply

Contractor · Lowell, IN · Member since 2014 · 31 posts · 11 votes
11y

Youtube.  I constantly joke around that I think I could do brain surgery with the aide of Youtube.

See this reply in the discussion

13 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Scottsdale, AZ · Member since 2014 · 659 posts · 536 votes
    11y

    Paint, flooring, countertops, plumbing repairs, blinds, and general cleanup.

  • Investor · Vancouver, WA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    11y

    1. Plumbing

    2. Painting

    3. Carpentry

    4. Electrical 

    5. Appliances

    6. General Handyman

    If you have skills in these areas, you will get ahead quickly! 

    A friend of mine got into REI with his father and brother. They invested in West Seattle in the 1980s... single family homes and then multiplexes, eventually large multiplexes. Their key to success? Dad had business sense and was a general handyman, one son became a licensed professional plumber, the other son became a licensed professional electrician. With those trades in the family, they had it made. My friend (the electrician) said he was going to retire by age 45... and he did, to a very nice home on Vashon Island, Puget Sound - near Seattle. He still works for the fun of it when he wants to.

  • Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    11y
    Most important thing- be able to read and follow directions. Most of your maintenance calls will be to fix or replace small things such as: Toilet parts Sink fixtures Light fixtures Garbage disposals Door knobs and locks Appliance removal/installation All I these items are often as cheap to replace as they are to repair, and they all come with directions. So if you have the time to tinker you will always be able to get it done right (just not always the fort try!)
  • Investor · Social Circle, GA · Member since 2013 · 60 posts · 10 votes
    11y

    Thanks for the info. I've actually tossed around getting some electrician training or plumbing training or something along those lines. I teach, so I have summers off, and I figured that devoting a few months to learning one of these trades would be helpful.

    Would I be better off finding someone who could teach me or should I just try to teach myself? 

  • Investor · Social Circle, GA · Member since 2013 · 60 posts · 10 votes
    11y

    Something else I wanted to throw out while it was on my mind:

    I'm a little bit concerned about being scammed when it comes to real estate investment. Well, maybe more than a little bit. 

    Take Real Estate Investment Alliances, for example. I see a site like this:  http://atlantareia.com/ . This was one of the sites that came up when I conducted a quick Google search.

    The huge gaudy lettering, cluttered layout, and busy text just scream scam to me (kind of like commercials that come on tv at 3 in the morning). Then again, I might just be a little paranoid.

    Am I paranoid?

    Are there ways to determine whether or not someone teaching me about real estate is just trying to scam me?

  • Michele FischerPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    If you have to pay more than $20, they may not be scamming you, but you can get the same education or information easier.

    Things that we spend most of our time and/or money on: plumbing issues (toilets and tubs), repainting, mowing and general yardwork, flooring (we lay Pergo type material whenever we have the time, cheaper over the long run), heavy cleaning, resetting cadet heaters, and appliance repairs.

    Study up!

  • Contractor · Lowell, IN · Member since 2014 · 31 posts · 11 votes
    11y

    Youtube.  I constantly joke around that I think I could do brain surgery with the aide of Youtube.

  • Scottsdale, AZ · Member since 2014 · 659 posts · 536 votes
    11y

    I feel like I can fix anything related to apartments.  Early on, I would call vendors to do some of the work.  I would always watch and ask questions.  Since I gave them a lot of work, they would usually answer questions for me when I called.

    I now have a lot of experience and train the maintenance staff myself.

    And, yes... You tube is amazing...

  • Scottsdale, AZ · Member since 2014 · 659 posts · 536 votes
    11y

    As far as your fear of getting scammed.... Let it go. 

    Yes people will try to pull a fast one on you.  If you miss something this time, learn from it.  Don't worry about it.

    Life is about enjoyment, not fear.

  • Boston, MA · Member since 2014 · 24 posts · 2 votes
    11y

    I agree about the YouTube comment. I have very basic handyman skills and I was able to replace a garbage disposal in one of my units after watching a video about it. 

  • Investor · Cedar Rapids, IA · Member since 2013 · 494 posts · 407 votes
    11y

    Parts cost what they cost so you're just saving the labor cost.  Maybe you like to work on things, I don't unless I'm in the mood.  Doing it yourself will save you money but wouldn't it be nice to have a handyman that was reasonable that you could call between classes and the issue would be fixed before you leave school?  You could work on things on the weekend that weren't urgent.  I have decided to remove garbage disposals as they break.  People think they're magic and that causes problems.  Good luck.

  • Investor · Social Circle, GA · Member since 2013 · 60 posts · 10 votes
    11y

    @Steve Olafson

    "Life is about enjoyment, not fear."

    I just had to point out that I absolutely love this comment and find it to be utterly brilliant!

  • Investor · Arlington, TX · Member since 2015 · 14 posts · 4 votes
    10y

    I'm getting started with multi-family unit REI's myself. I want to thank everyone who commented on this Forum. BP is ABSOULUTELY the greatest resource on the planet for REI's!! I've invested in SFH's off and on for years, but all with my own (lack of) knowledge. BP is really a REI's best friend...because of all the people out there so willing to offer plausible and practical advice and experiences!! God bless BP and the family of REI's globally!!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.