Rehab TV Shows and their Rehab Numbers

Rehab TV Shows and their Rehab Numbers

Rental Property Investor · Tucson, AZ · Member since 2014 · 63 posts · 37 votes

Hi Guys!

I've been going through J Scott's book on flipping houses and estimating rehab costs. My weakness right now is being able to walk into a property and ballpark an estimate so that I can get an idea of what I would offer on a property.

The books are super helpful but  learning through other methods would be helpful. I was watching a couple episodes of one of those Rehab shows on TV and although it is so blatantly obvious that everything is scripted, I was actually curious to know how accurate the numbers they use are. 

For example I watched an episode about a property bought on auction for 620K and the kitchen renovation cost 60K, living room 15K, new master bathroom for 40K. It was an extremely high end property. They provided numbers before the flip and then after and (surprise surprise) they're always about right. 

Are there any seasoned flippers out there who have seen these shows and could comment on the validity of the numbers they provide? 

Thanks in advance!!

0Reply
7 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
11y
I like the shows for design ideas. Not numbers.
See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2014 · 49 posts · 27 votes
    11y

    @Chirag Parikh

    I love those shows for entertainment value, and sometimes for a VERY loose education, but I wouldn't use them for any type of real guideline when you start putting your own money behind it.

    Are you planning on doing the work yourself on these projects? If you will be using a contractor my recommendation would be to find one who is willing to give you bids for free and have them walk the property with you. Use their bid to give you an accurate gauge to make offers.

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    11y

    I would not look at the flipping shows for any educational value. They are for entertainment only.

  • Rental Property Investor · Tucson, AZ · Member since 2014 · 63 posts · 37 votes
    11y

    Thanks guys. I had a feeling this was the case but I figured why not ask. 

    @Jeff West: I agree the entertainment is great and I like seeing the creativity with their rehabs. As for doing the work myself, I hope not to do so the next time around (I have twice now). I will most definitely try your approach with a contractor. This is something I have thought about for a while now. 

  • Contractor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    They are Shows. Just like The Incredible Hulk.

  • Investor · Fair Lawn, NJ · Member since 2014 · 384 posts · 189 votes
    11y

    Hi @Chirag Parikh

    I've been using J's book to vet estimates for rehabs that I get from wholesalers. Going item by item, to see if the numbers match up and if not trying to understand why has been a great education. I also have some more seasoned investor friends who will look at deals I'm considering and ask lots of questions. Here too, I'm finding that working through J's book is improving the way I consider and then present deals.

  • Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    11y
    I like the shows for design ideas. Not numbers.
  • Investor · Los Angeles County, CA · Member since 2012 · 962 posts · 279 votes
    11y

    I also watch the shows. They provide entertainment and some familiarity when **** hits the fan.  They're definitely just TV though.  Also like Max says the design ideas sometimes good

  • Rental Property Investor · Brookline, MA · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 777 votes
    11y

    I would say that the designs they come up with are rather amazing.  They seem to come up with some impressive ways to change houses to the "open concept" that is popular these days.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.