Building rental properties

Building rental properties

Roanoke Rapids, NC · Member since 2015 · 2 posts · 0 votes

Hello all.  My name is James and I am from northeastern NC.  I am 33 years old and today have decided to start building a rental business.  I know a few other people that do the same around here and have made a good living doing so.  So, with all that being said, here is my question.  

Does anyone know if I am able to buy a piece of land, build a house on it myself (yes everything will be up to code and build with safety in mind), and then rent it out.  I have been looking at house prices and for the price of a house around here that is going to be in a decent neighborhood and not require a ton of work, I can buy the land and build two for that same price.  Another reason I ask is because my credit is crap due to a sepraration and irresponsibility on my part.  There is no way I would qualify for a home loan so the savings is starting today and I will be paying cash for everything.  It would take forever to save up enough to buy a house with cash around here.  But, if i bought the land and did the building myself it would go by much faster.  Soo, I figured I would get some suggestions here.  Any and all advice will be helpful.  Thank you all.  :)

0Reply
18 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Tallahassee, FL · Member since 2014 · 246 posts · 89 votes
    11y

    Hello

    although I have no experience with building a home(yet), it looks like you are talking about being an owner-builder. You will need  to call your local permitting office and see what release forms if any that you will need tosign(since you will be relying on your expertise instead of a contractor).  Also assuming you can pull your own permits-will you be required to satisfy certain conditions prior to selling the home(s). Always good to know what your exit options are, going in. 

    Sebastian

  • Investor/Accountant/Builder · Meno, OK · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 918 votes
    11y

    It does not pay. Very difficult to build a house to rent. A lot cheaper to find older homes and rehab some. The income is better.

  • Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2015 · 570 posts · 521 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @James Lynn:

    Hello all.  My name is James and I am from northeastern NC.  I am 33 years old and today have decided to start building a rental business.  I know a few other people that do the same around here and have made a good living doing so.  So, with all that being said, here is my question.  

    Does anyone know if I am able to buy a piece of land, build a house on it myself (yes everything will be up to code and build with safety in mind), and then rent it out.  I have been looking at house prices and for the price of a house around here that is going to be in a decent neighborhood and not require a ton of work, I can buy the land and build two for that same price.  Another reason I ask is because my credit is crap due to a sepraration and irresponsibility on my part.  There is no way I would qualify for a home loan so the savings is starting today and I will be paying cash for everything.  It would take forever to save up enough to buy a house with cash around here.  But, if i bought the land and did the building myself it would go by much faster.  Soo, I figured I would get some suggestions here.  Any and all advice will be helpful.  Thank you all.  :)

     Think "duplex" and you're on your way to financial independence. Double the rental income at 3/4 of the cost of building 2 separate properties.  Build 2 sets of duplexes and you've essentially built 4 properties for the price of 3.

  • Roanoke Rapids, NC · Member since 2015 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    11y

    Thank you for your replies.  I am also talking with some other people here and it seems as though being an "owner/builder" is not as bad as i thought it was going to be.  I am still looking into it at the moment but I will update everyone here so in the future the info can be passed on.  Thanks again.  :)

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.