Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Rehabbing & House Flipping
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Brandon Hicks
  • Investor
  • Avilla, IN
Votes |
Anyone able to get good discounts on bulk buys at Menards/Home Depot

Brandon Hicks
  • Investor
  • Avilla, IN
Posted Dec 28 2014, 21:49

I'm closing on a 12 unit apartment complex in the next couple of weeks and plan on rehabbing all 12 one-bed units in the same finishes and products as the units open up. Theyre pretty rough now so I'll be needing 24 entry doors, 14 or 15 sets of entry locks (extras for swapping at turns), flooring, light fixtures, 12 kitchen countertops and backsplashs, lots of fridges, ranges, hoods and the list goes on.

Has anyone had any success buying in bulk and negotiating a discount? If so, what kinds of deals have you gotten?

I have the storage room to handle 24 doors until I need them and so on if they can make it worth my while to buy them all upfront.

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Cordle
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Alpharetta, GA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Alpharetta, GA
Replied Dec 29 2014, 06:51

@Brandon Hicks

Yeah I play golf with a President from HD, who is the National Real Estate Investor Rep. 

That is all he does, which is work with REI investors across the nation to figure out the best way to get them what they need and how they need it at the best price.

If you want I can put you in touch with this guy just PM me. 

FYI I GET NO KICKBACK WHATSOEVER 

Andrew

User Stats

Votes
Andy Robison
  • Investor
  • Kansas City, MO
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Kansas City, MO
Replied Dec 29 2014, 07:35
Originally posted by @Andrew Cordle:

@Brandon Hicks

Yeah I play golf with a President from HD, who is the National Real Estate Investor Rep. 

I need to start playing golf.

Demo
Practice finding and analyzing deals
Tulsa, OK
$231,902 - Median Home Value
5.97% - YoY Rent Growth
$1,351 - Median Rental Income
0.58% - Rent/Price Ratio
4.56% - Appreciation
0.77% - Population Growth Rate
Find Deals

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Cordle
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Alpharetta, GA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Alpharetta, GA
Replied Dec 29 2014, 07:39

@Andy Robison

Well to be fair, we met on some of my job sites....:) but we play golf all the time now. 

I have introduced him to several medium size and large REI. Sometimes he will fly out from corporate and meet with you and take a look at your projects just to really understand what you are doing and how they can better work with you.

He is not a local PAR if you know what that is from HD. I have one of those as well but he is much much higher than a PAR. 

AC

User Stats

Votes
Michael Seeker
  • Investor
  • Louisville and Memphis, TN
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Louisville and Memphis, TN
Replied Dec 29 2014, 07:49

@Andrew Cordle - that's a pretty sweet golf buddy to have!

@Brandon Hicks - I've primarily done my shopping at Lowes and would  recommend looking at their LAR account if Lowes is an option for you.  You don't have to do any negotiating, you just get 5% off everything.  I've also had success using this with contractors where they can pick up materials for me (it's nice to not have to spend 1-2 hours picking everything out, checking out and delivering materials).

As for the locks...you should check out www.landlordlocks.com.  Their website isn't very flashy, but the locks they sell are awesome!  I doubt they'll give you any bulk discount but it couldn't hurt to ask and you'll be happy as heck to have a master key for those 12 units!  If you don't want to go that route, look for a local locksmith that will do them for you and give you a master key.  You shouldn't have to juggle 12+ keys to get into your property when needed!

User Stats

Votes
Michael Noto
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Southington, CT
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Southington, CT
Replied Dec 29 2014, 07:52

@Andrew Cordle  That is a heck of a connect, but like you said you were out there doing your thing and cultivated a relationship.  That's a good story.

User Stats

Votes
Jeremy Tillotson
  • Investor
  • Fort Wayne, IN
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Fort Wayne, IN
Replied Dec 29 2014, 07:52

@Brandon Hicks menards has a contractor sales program, so just go talk to them and tell them you are about to rehab 12 apartments. They should be more than willing to work with you. Another link I have posted in below, you have to buy in bulk but its worth the savings. I still use wilmar and use them back in my JOB days. I hear that Maintenance USA is competitive.

http://www.wilmar.com/

http://e-musa.com/

User Stats

Votes
Jeremy Tillotson
  • Investor
  • Fort Wayne, IN
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Fort Wayne, IN
Replied Dec 29 2014, 07:54

@Brandon Hicks Never have to change locks again, I like them, only a little extra I paid $22.00 a piece for deadbolts, and don't use locking door knobs (cant lock themselves out)

http://www.kwikset.com/SmartSecurity/Key-Control.aspx

User Stats

Votes
Brandon Hicks
  • Investor
  • Avilla, IN
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Avilla, IN
Replied Dec 29 2014, 17:57

Thanks for all the info guys and I'll look into the suggestions a little more. I'm definitely a bigger fan of Menards so I'll start with talking to the contractor sales guys first.

User Stats

Votes
Sharad M.
Pro Member
  • Carlsbad, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Carlsbad, CA
Replied Dec 29 2014, 18:21

@Brandon Hicks 

I buy majority of my supplies from HD and HD definitely gives bulk discount. Sign up for their Pro Account and run everything through the Pro Account. When I buy from HD, I always get at least a 10% discount on all items except paint on which I get 20% discount, so savings add up.