Thanks BP and Dylan Long for a Great Collaboration on Our Kitchen Rehab

Thanks BP and Dylan Long for a Great Collaboration on Our Kitchen Rehab

Rental Property Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2014 · 127 posts · 55 votes

A while back, I posted on BP asking for recommendations on kitchen designers in Austin, to help with a rehab we're doing on one of our rental properties. Dylan Long, a BPer from Oregon, jumped in and offered to work up a 3D design based on my rough plans, at no cost. The benefit to him was to enable him to build his portfolio and continue to develop his expertise in 3D modeling. 

I ended up working with Dylan over the next four weeks to finalize a complete kitchen remodel, the conversion of a bedroom to a master bath suite, and a laundry room remodel. Dylan was easy to work with, quick on turnaround times, and offered various ideas which improved the project along the way. As things sometimes go with renovations, we ended up doing a scaled back version of the rehab, due to budgetary concerns and a change in our long-term plans for the property. But Dylan's input was invaluable, and my wife and I really enjoyed the experience working with him. I'd recommend him to anyone on BP who's looking for design/layout help on their renovations. 

Thanks to Dylan for all of his assistance, and thanks to BP for being such a great place to meet new colleagues and collaborate!

0Reply
10 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Investor · Forest Grove, OR · Member since 2012 · 105 posts · 37 votes
12y

Thanks for the kind words! It was fun working with you too. Totally understandable that projects and needs change. Can't fault anyone on doing what's right for their budget. 

Hopefully we can collaborate again in the future! 

For anyone interested . . . here is the layout/concept we came up with for a few of the rooms:

Kitchen:

Bathroom Concept 1:

Bathroom Concept 2 (same dimensions as #1, just a different floorplan:

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · Forest Grove, OR · Member since 2012 · 105 posts · 37 votes
    12y

    Thanks for the kind words! It was fun working with you too. Totally understandable that projects and needs change. Can't fault anyone on doing what's right for their budget. 

    Hopefully we can collaborate again in the future! 

    For anyone interested . . . here is the layout/concept we came up with for a few of the rooms:

    Kitchen:

    Bathroom Concept 1:

    Bathroom Concept 2 (same dimensions as #1, just a different floorplan:

  • Real Estate Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 50 posts · 6 votes
    12y

    wow! how nice!

  • Real Estate Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 50 posts · 6 votes
    12y

    @Gary,  how's your flip?

  • Involved In Real Estate · Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 32 posts · 12 votes
    12y

    Dylan, great work.  Curious to know what information you need and your turnaround time to create something like this for one of Tally Two Investment Group's projects.

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2013 · 281 posts · 110 votes
    12y

    need some before and after photos! :)

  • Rental Property Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2014 · 127 posts · 55 votes
    12y

    I'll make sure to post before/after photos after the rehab is completed. We're hoping to have the work done by the last week of Sept. 

    @Joe Zhang - We've decided to hold onto this property, and are going to try it as a vacation rental. Hopefully we'll be in time for ACL!

  • Real Estate Investor · Forest Grove, OR · Member since 2012 · 105 posts · 37 votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Brian Whitten:

    Dylan, great work.  Curious to know what information you need and your turnaround time to create something like this for one of Tally Two Investment Group's projects.

     Hey Brain,

    Turnaround time largely depends on how busy I am with my primary line of work, so it's hard to say reliably. That said, I'm a pretty quick worker and can usually turn around an initial design in 1-2 days. It really depends on how complex the property is. I am doing one locally for a Victorian attic, and it had a lot of complicated lines due to the roof structure that took a bit to get right. If they're simple "square" rooms. When I built these for Gary I didn't actually build the whole house floorplan, I just created standalone rooms and added some extra walls to give the appearance that it was part of a bigger house. 

    As far as info goes; the more the better! I can work with as little as a room shape and some rough dimensions, but if you have more specific dimensions, ideas on finishes/colors, etc I can get closer to what you want on an initial shot. 

    Right now I'm getting a decent bit of local interest and starting to make some money on this side business, which is all exciting. One home I did a small design for is part of a historic homes tour this year, so I'm going to sneak in my card and a tablet with a slideshow so people walking through can see. 

    That said, I'd be open to helping another BP'er to develop the portfolio more, as long as they're patient and willing to provide some before/after if they move forward building the project. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.