Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
Rehabbing & House Flipping

User Stats

Votes
Cameron Fowler
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Indianapolis, IN
Votes |
House Flipping // Rehabbing Challenges

Cameron Fowler
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Indianapolis, IN
Posted Aug 1 2024, 06:46

When looking into getting my first flip or rehab house there are all kinds of work that I am curious of and other people's experience. I would love to hear some stories or areas that were challenges for those who rehab or flip houses. I am in Indianapolis and there is a lot of great opportunities for flips but I want to know what challenges to be on the look out for. 

User Stats

Votes
Kerry Noble Jr
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Indianapolis, IN
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Indianapolis, IN
Replied Aug 3 2024, 13:19

Definitely open to connecting

User Stats

Votes
Ko Kashiwagi
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Aug 3 2024, 23:12

The two biggest challenges I hear are not realizing the condition of the property (for example, finding out the property is in a worse condition than it is) and working with contractors (not finishing the job, taking too long, etc).

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Alan F.#2 Rehabbing & House Flipping Contributor
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • California
Votes |
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • California
Replied Aug 4 2024, 18:19
Quote from @Cameron Fowler:

When looking into getting my first flip or rehab house there are all kinds of work that I am curious of and other people's experience. I would love to hear some stories or areas that were challenges for those who rehab or flip houses. I am in Indianapolis and there is a lot of great opportunities for flips but I want to know what challenges to be on the look out for. 

The challenges are too numerous to outline here, a person could literally write a book. I'd start by reading J.Scotts book on flipping, then seek out more. A couple of gotchas to look out for, liens, encumbrances and encroachments. Run your underwriting conservatively i.e. tight comps, awareness of school districts, busy surface streets, HV powe lines etc that invalidate your comps. Pay attention to DOM as well as ARV. Make your value add plays effecient and effective. Theres lots more, hopefully some of this helps

User Stats

Votes
Evan Polaski
Pro Member
#1 Rehabbing & House Flipping Contributor
  • Cincinnati, OH
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 Rehabbing & House Flipping Contributor
  • Cincinnati, OH
Replied Aug 5 2024, 07:58

@Cameron Fowler, as Alan notes, where to begin.

Contractors not doing a good job.  Or as my wife likes to call it: "man-sitting"

Contractors unwilling to execute on what you hired them for (I.e. current flip, cabinet installers were supposed to put up fill and crown.  Design called for this to be installed on same plane as the doors. Admittedly, this is not standard, and when installers arrived they said they can't and won't do it)

Supplies not arriving on time and impacting scheduling.  

Arranging schedule of various trades and balancing the good ones with the ones that are available.

Permitting and inspection issues (should be a non-issue, but last house we had a new inspector that seemed like he had something to prove and nitpicked what I view as non-issues).

Market swings impacting ARVs, or in the current market: are we going into a recession before the house can be completed?

Overall condition, as noted.  When you start opening walls, a lot of issues that, based on the visible condition of the house, were assumed to not be present, are.

Bids coming in over budget

User Stats

Votes
Replied Aug 5 2024, 14:26

When you are fixing and flipping a house is the garage door something that usually gets changed to a brand new garage door? 

User Stats

Votes
Bob Stevens
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Replied Aug 6 2024, 05:12

Do not overcomplicate it, so many do. RE is just math, just know your numbers. You an only you need to know ALL of the costs.  

User Stats

Votes
Replied Aug 6 2024, 10:58
Quote from @John Seybert:

When you are fixing and flipping a house is the garage door something that usually gets changed to a brand new garage door? 

You need to look at comps of what's selling at the price point of the ARV of the project you're looking at. If most of your comps are being sold with new garage doors then you may want to replace it. If most are selling with older garage doors you will get a good idea that buyers aren't being put off by it.

User Stats

Votes
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • California
Votes |
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • California
Replied Aug 6 2024, 11:23
Quote from @Curtis Delaurie:
Quote from @John Seybert:

You need to look at comps of what's selling at the price point of the ARV of the project you're looking at. If most of your comps are being sold with new garage doors then you may want to replace it. If most are selling with older garage doors you will get a good idea that buyers aren't being put off by it.

Look at the other threads, hes selling garage doors lol.

User Stats

Votes
Alan Asriants
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Philadelphia, PA
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Philadelphia, PA
Replied Aug 6 2024, 14:03

Make sure you have enough room. Always be conservative with your pricing and budget.

Budget high for rehab costs 

Budget low for sale price

User Stats

Votes
Will Barnard
Pro Member
  • Developer
  • Santa Clarita, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Developer
  • Santa Clarita, CA
ModeratorReplied Aug 7 2024, 11:26

Aside from some answers below, location is key. Avoid properties on main streets (traffic noise, avoid homes near freeways (smog/traffic noise), avoid homes without garages if most other homes have garages, avoid being in airport flight paths, avoid over building or over rehabbing for the area comps, know how to properly and accurately estimate ARv and rehab costs, and have money lined up in advance. Some will say find the deal and the money will follow. I disagree. Having lenders or partners upfront places you in a better and more confident negotiating position and in the event you find a deal and can't find the money, now you lost the deal and have to back out damaging your reputation as a closer.