Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
Rehabbing & House Flipping
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Tyler Warlow
  • New to Real Estate
  • Raleigh, NC
Votes |
What do I need to consider when adding a kitchen?

Tyler Warlow
  • New to Real Estate
  • Raleigh, NC
Posted Jul 23 2024, 04:50

Good morning everyone! My name is Tyler Warlow! I am trying to find a house that I can convert into a duplex so that I can rent out one side and live in the other. I realized that one of the things that I would need to do to many of the properties that have peaked my interest is convert a living space into a kitchen. Firstly, is this legal/possible to do? I've seen plenty of people add small kitchens for Air BnBs so I assume it is. Secondly, if it is possible, what must I be aware of to make sure this is done right. I want to ensure that I follow any sort of regulations and safety standards but I don't know where to even start or know how to estimate rough costs. Any advice? 

User Stats

Votes
Theresa Harris
Pro Member
#3 Managing Your Property Contributor
Votes |
Pro Member
#3 Managing Your Property Contributor
Replied Jul 23 2024, 04:54

You need to make sure there is room on the electrical panel to add larger appliances and also plumbing is easily accessible (to keep costs down).  So if the second kitchen has the sink backing onto a wall that has plumbing on the other side (eg another kitchen or bathroom) or it can be run from the basement up.  If you want a true duplex, you'd also need to make sure zoning would allow it vs adding a legal suite.

Why not just buy an existing duplex?

User Stats

Votes
Tyler Warlow
  • New to Real Estate
  • Raleigh, NC
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Raleigh, NC
Replied Jul 23 2024, 05:01

Hi Theresa! Thank you for the reply and advice! Unfortunately, there are very few duplexes in Raleigh and the surrounding area and the few that are available are definitely not for sale for an amount that would make sense from a numbers perspective. I've been told this is because Raleigh had zoning laws in the past that prevented building duplexes, but I would definitely need to research that more.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Avery Heilbron
Pro Member
  • Realtor
  • Raleigh-Durham, NC
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Realtor
  • Raleigh-Durham, NC
Replied Jul 23 2024, 07:35

Hi @Tyler Warlow this can be best done by buying a split level home. I'd be happy to discuss. The brokerage I work at also owns a construction company so would be happy to discuss some estimates. Really you'd need a plans, approve those plans for a permit and to get the work done of course. Feel free to PM me and I'd be happy to help

User Stats

Votes
Tyler Warlow
  • New to Real Estate
  • Raleigh, NC
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Raleigh, NC
Replied Jul 23 2024, 07:40

@Avery Heilbron Thanks for reaching out! I would love to learn more!

User Stats

Votes
Benjamin Carver
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Raleigh, NC
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Raleigh, NC
Replied Jul 23 2024, 08:02

Tyler, I just did this myself. I have videos and much to say about this. PM and let's call - happy to answer questions and share my experience with you

User Stats

Votes
Jaron Walling
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Indianapolis, IN
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Indianapolis, IN
Replied Jul 23 2024, 08:41

Splitting any property into a duplex is a tall task. Financially speaking it doesn't make sense in most cases. Think about the costs to add/replace/upgrade the electrical panel? That's a $6-8k project right off the top which you'll need to for additional appliances. You could buy a distressed SFH, live-in-flip, and increasing the market value much easier. Instead of cash-flow you're creating value and saving thousands on taxes if you choice to sell.

The same can be said converting a duplex back to a SFH. We had an opportunity to buy a distressed duplex (off market) but couldn't justify the numbers. It required a full gut remodel, layout changes, and probably a second story addition. We could have done a lack luster remodel and rented to sec8 tenants but that's not our game. Lifting the distressed duplex to meet single family comps was a $150-200k project (plus the purchase). That's well outside our experience level so we passed. A year later the property sold and was gutted to studs as I predicted.

"and the few that are available are definitely not for sale for an amount that would make sense from a numbers perspective." - This challenge is why so few investors do it. In our market converting a SFH into a duplex (if even possible) can reduce the ARV. Most investors would rather tear down houses and build new construction.

User Stats

Votes
Tyler Warlow
  • New to Real Estate
  • Raleigh, NC
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Raleigh, NC
Replied Jul 23 2024, 08:48

Thanks for your insight @Jaron Walling. I'm relatively new to this so I don't have an understanding of the financial cost of this sort of project. That's why I am reaching out here, to gain that understanding and potentially shift strategies if need be.

User Stats

Votes
Scott Mac
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Austin, TX
Replied Jul 23 2024, 09:02

Make sure your zoning allows a duplex.

Make sure you get permits for all work that is needed from the city or county.

Consider putting in a separate electrical meter, a separate water meter, and separate gas meter.

Also features that are desirable in duplex would be a separate heating system which allows the duplex part to adjust its heating and air conditioning to whatever the renter wants. As well as a separate water heater.

If you do not put in a 2nd HVAC system, pay attention to the return ducts. You want to make sure that both units have return Ducts as well as heating ducts.

Will these items raise the value of the duplex to a future buyer In that neighborhood, that is something to speak with some local real estate brokers about.

User Stats

Votes
Tyler Warlow
  • New to Real Estate
  • Raleigh, NC
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Raleigh, NC
Replied Jul 23 2024, 09:10

Thank you @Scott Mac! I will keep these items in mind moving forward!

User Stats

Votes
Nicholas L.
Pro Member
#3 Creative Real Estate Financing Contributor
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Pittsburgh
Votes |
Pro Member
#3 Creative Real Estate Financing Contributor
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Pittsburgh
Replied Jul 24 2024, 12:14

@Tyler Warlow

I'm with @Jaron Walling on this... it probably doesn't make sense.

Just find something you can house hack as is.

User Stats

Votes
Evan Polaski
Pro Member
#4 Multi-Family and Apartment Investing Contributor
  • Cincinnati, OH
Votes |
Pro Member
#4 Multi-Family and Apartment Investing Contributor
  • Cincinnati, OH
Replied Jul 24 2024, 13:06

@Tyler Warlow, this really is based on market.  Like Jaron and Nicholas note, in Cincinnati, OH, duplexes are worth LESS than single family homes. This seems to be true in most markets outside of area like LA with ADUs.  

That being said, there are a lot of ways to skin a cat.  You see people add basement "rentals" fairly consistently.  There used to be a whole show on HGTV (Income Property, I believe it was called) that focused on just this.  Some people add these and call them in-law suites, if they are getting zoning pushback.  

Now, if you want a fully legal duplex, including having the property reclassified, Scott Mac offered the basic outline of steps.  I will note (but not condone) that a lot of people will build fully permitted living quarters in their basement.  While they are legal from a building department view point, if there are complaints from neighbors about you renting it long term, it could create issues with zoning.  it all comes down to the risks you are willing to take.

Back to your original question: if you have to do a full buildout of unfinished sq footage into finished livable quarters, you are likely looking at about 200ish/ sq ft.  So if you are finishing 1,000 sq ft, including adding full kitchen, bath, electrical, plumbing, etc, you will be spending about $200k in addition to the purchase price.

User Stats

Votes
Tyler Warlow
  • New to Real Estate
  • Raleigh, NC
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Raleigh, NC
Replied Jul 25 2024, 04:37

@Evan Polaski Thank you for explaining everything. I think that the route I would have to take is likely adding an "in-law suite" rather than fully converting to a legal duplex. I have looked into multiple properties that have finished rooms but and a bathroom on each floor. The challenge I think would be finding space to give the renters their own kitchen. I was thinking of finding something with multiple rooms so I can convert one into a small kitchen/living space.

BiggerPockets logo
Network With Property Managers
|
BiggerPockets
Partnering with a property manager before you buy will boost your bottom line. Match and mingle with top property managers now!

User Stats

Votes
Tony Savage
  • Real Estate Broker
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • San Diego, CA
Replied Jul 25 2024, 08:38

Hey Tyler,

I agree with Teresa, you could just buy a duplex if it's within your budget.

User Stats

Votes
Bruce Woodruff
Pro Member
#1 Contractors Contributor
  • Contractor/Investor/Consultant
  • West Valley Phoenix
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 Contractors Contributor
  • Contractor/Investor/Consultant
  • West Valley Phoenix
Replied Jul 25 2024, 08:44

Like @Theresa Harris said, the electrical costs alone could be a deal-breaker. Current code requires at least 8 separate circuits for a kitchen. So you'd have to add those 8 circuits to the new kitchen, plus whatever it takes to upgrade the existing kitchen to the same (once you touch something, you have to bring it all up to current code). Plus adding 2 new main panels s about $6000 right there. 

So probably $20k minimum to do what you want to do. Do the numbers still pencil out? And bear in mind that you will have to to the rest of the interior as well. Don't forget to add permit and plans cost....