Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
Rehabbing & House Flipping
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Brandon Spaulding
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • North Carolina
Votes |
Exploring Efficient Ways to Track Rehab Expenses: Seeking Insights

Brandon Spaulding
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • North Carolina
Posted Jun 21 2024, 09:41

Currently, we have seven renovations going on with three partners. The partners take care of the rehab part. Whenever they purchase or make payments to labor, they input it into a Google Sheet. Our EA then matches those numbers with the payment platforms. Recently, we've been struggling to match those numbers. There are some figures on the Google Sheet but not on the payment platform and vice versa. Now, we're considering other ways to track our rehab expenses. We would love to know how you guys manage this. Thank you.

User Stats

Votes
Andy Sabisch
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Wilkes-Barre, PA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Wilkes-Barre, PA
Replied Jun 22 2024, 04:23
Sometimes simple is better than complex and in tracking expenses, simple is often the best approach.  If the information entered is not matching the  payment platform then what is being entered is the issue.  I would focus on ensuring ANY expense is entered properly so that the expense can be reconciled with the payment.  Google Sheets is a great tool for multiple people to track expenses but as they say "garbage in garbage out" so see where the breakdown is and shore that up.  There are tools out there but we have found that they are more complicated and as a result, introduce more places for errors to creep in.

User Stats

Votes
Peter Mckernan
Agent
Pro Member
  • Residential Real Estate Agent
  • Irvine, CA
Votes |
Agent
Pro Member
  • Residential Real Estate Agent
  • Irvine, CA
Replied Jun 24 2024, 11:22
Quote from @Brandon Spaulding:

Currently, we have seven renovations going on with three partners. The partners take care of the rehab part. Whenever they purchase or make payments to labor, they input it into a Google Sheet. Our EA then matches those numbers with the payment platforms. Recently, we've been struggling to match those numbers. There are some figures on the Google Sheet but not on the payment platform and vice versa. Now, we're considering other ways to track our rehab expenses. We would love to know how you guys manage this. Thank you.

I would get on the same page of the partners, and make sure that it matches up and is aligned with everything on your end. That is where I see the problem is after hearing this issue, think that there is a disconnect on it. Keep the line of open communication on it all and that will be the best option. 

The McKernan Group Logo
BiggerPockets logo
Network With Property Managers
|
BiggerPockets
Partnering with a property manager before you buy will boost your bottom line. Match and mingle with top property managers now!

User Stats

Votes
Jacob Sherman
Pro Member
  • 12 Penns Trail Suite 138 Newtown, PA 18940
Votes |
Pro Member
  • 12 Penns Trail Suite 138 Newtown, PA 18940
Replied Jun 25 2024, 06:57

ive always just used an excel spreadsheet with coding to categorize the expenses 

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jun 25 2024, 07:10

I used Stessa for my rehab, the ease of photographing the receipt and adding to the project really made it easy. I could review the stuff for the day or week and adjust the categories then if needed.

I used a single CC for supplies, and a single checking account for all labor. providing the ability to match back expenses without having to check a bunch of different accounts.

You could do this with different cards for each project, and a labor bank account for each project. This removes the problem by isolating projects.

User Stats

Votes
Cam Schwartz
  • Lender
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Chicago, IL
Replied Jun 28 2024, 14:22

Hi Brandon. Jonathan Klemm might be able to help.

He runs Quality Builders, a tech-enabled GC business in Chicago with proprietary technology including tracking and estimating rehab costs.

User Stats

Votes
Jonathan Klemm
Pro Member
  • Contractor
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Contractor
  • Chicago, IL
ModeratorReplied Jul 1 2024, 06:53

Appreciate the tag @Cam Schwartz!

So are the partners acting as a GC?

If you have 7 renovations going on at once hopefully your GC is using some type of project management software.  Here In Chicago QB, we use Buildertrend, but actaully switching to Jobtread.

There are specific payment softwares out there that link directly to quickbooks (we use melio).  I'd suggest moving off google sheets and into some more automated with less risk of input error.