Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
Rehabbing & House Flipping

User Stats

Votes
Carlos Oliva
Pro Member
Votes |
Time vs Money

Carlos Oliva
Pro Member
Posted Jun 17 2024, 21:05

I bought a 2Bd 1Ba SFR just outside Indianapolis for $35k in January. I intended to BRRRR the property & spent about $40k total to fix it up. Major issues with the 1st contractor, but 2nd contractor fixed things fast. Appraisal came back at only $98k, so now I'm trying to sell.

It's listed at $109k. I accepted an offer after a week on market for $105k, but it fell out of escrow because the seller wanted the roof replaced. The roof is serviceable, but likely has 5 yrs or less of life. 

Now I'm left wondering whether it's best to lower the price to get the property off my hands asap or to make some costly improvements that will probably neutralize any increase in value. Example - replace kitchen cabinets that are serviceable to ones that are new & modern or replacing the roof. 

User Stats

Votes
Shervin Golgiri
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Union city
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Union city
Replied Jun 17 2024, 21:20

Hi Carlos, since best option is off table and now you need to look for a new buyer maybe try relisting it with an agent who has good network and understanding of what the goals in this transaction are. 

you never going to get the dollar-to-dollar value that you put into the property, and we are not even considering the time and headache. Get it off your hand with minimum headache and take notes of the expensive lessons. Best of luck, 

shervinrealtor.com

User Stats

Votes
Jaron Walling
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Indianapolis, IN
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Indianapolis, IN
Replied Jun 18 2024, 04:43

@Carlos Oliva I agree with @Shervin Golgiri . You made the choice to buy a $35k property... that's incredibly cheap in today's market. Idk which area "outside of Indianapolis" but most real estate in the donut countries are more expensive. Doesn't sound like you remodeled the property to command a high ARV or the ARV's are just that low. You're probably going to get the same response about the roof from future buyers. I'd replace it and back on market with an updated listing ASAP.

Rental Home Council logo
Rental Home Council
|
Sponsored
Advocating for Single-Family Rental Housing Drive rental policy change. Protect your investments with a National Rental Home Council membership.

User Stats

Votes
Stephen King
  • Lender
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Austin, TX
Replied Jun 18 2024, 11:40

One option is you can use a DSCR loan and pull out 75% of the appraised value, you get to retain the asset and you should be able to cash-flow a couple of hundred bucks a month.

User Stats

Votes
Jacob Sherman
Pro Member
#2 Land & New Construction Contributor
  • 12 Penns Trail Suite 138 Newtown, PA 18940
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 Land & New Construction Contributor
  • 12 Penns Trail Suite 138 Newtown, PA 18940
Replied Jun 18 2024, 15:05

I would unload it or if investing refi and rent it