Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
Rehabbing & House Flipping

User Stats

Votes
Tripp Wylie
Pro Member
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Greenville SC (greenville, sc)
Votes |
Private lender equity structure for flipping

Tripp Wylie
Pro Member
  • Flipper/Rehabber
Posted Jun 10 2024, 04:42

Me and two other partners are flipping houses locally and are using a local individual for the financing. We’ve done a few deals to prove things out and so far so good.

The structure has been we are loaned the money at 0% but the lender is getting a big chunk of equity. Deal #1: 70%, Deal # 2: 50%.

The lender is using a line of credit at 8%, so he does have interest expense, but not passing that on to us.

Really my question is, what’s a long term structure that makes sense for both sides?

Lending at 0% is great but is 50-70% too much equity per deal?

Is there a structure that makes more sense?

Should we offer preference and less equity?

Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Chris Seveney
Pro Member
#4 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Votes |
Pro Member
#4 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Replied Jun 10 2024, 05:28
Quote from @Tripp Wylie:

Me and two other partners are flipping houses locally and are using a local individual for the financing. We’ve done a few deals to prove things out and so far so good.

The structure has been we are loaned the money at 0% but the lender is getting a big chunk of equity. Deal #1: 70%, Deal # 2: 50%.

The lender is using a line of credit at 8%, so he does have interest expense, but not passing that on to us.

Really my question is, what’s a long term structure that makes sense for both sides?

Thanks!

Find a private lender who charges you 10-12% plus points. you keep all upside but take on more risk.  I would still consider 0% for 50% of the deal but maybe not 70% - you have to run the numbers and see what your anticipated profit is and is it better once you factor in risk to give up equity or get a loan - and what would that loan need to be to be beneficial.

So if you give up 50% - If i did a 15% loan I am still better with the loan? That is an example.

User Stats

Votes
Jacob Sherman
Pro Member
#2 Land & New Construction Contributor
  • 12 Penns Trail Suite 138 Newtown, PA 18940
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 Land & New Construction Contributor
  • 12 Penns Trail Suite 138 Newtown, PA 18940
Replied Jun 10 2024, 09:19

every joint venture is different . How much sweat equity are you putting in from your side ? handling the whole transaction start to finish ? 

Rental Home Council logo
Rental Home Council
|
Sponsored
Advocating for Single-Family Rental Housing Drive rental policy change. Protect your investments with a National Rental Home Council membership.

User Stats

Votes
Tripp Wylie
Pro Member
  • Flipper/Rehabber
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Flipper/Rehabber
Replied Jun 10 2024, 13:01

@Jacob Sherman that’s correct. Me and other partners handle everything from sourcing, managing rehab and sale.

User Stats

Votes
Tripp Wylie
Pro Member
  • Flipper/Rehabber
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Flipper/Rehabber
Replied Jun 10 2024, 13:03

@Chris Seveney very helpful, thank. Yes, need to do the math to be sure. 0% for max of 50% could make sense. But need to do the math on what straight lending looks like, and keeping 100% equity.

The quick access to capital is obviously huge for winning deals on terms, closing quickly.

User Stats

Votes
Max Ferguson
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Colorado Springs, CO
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Colorado Springs, CO
Replied Jun 10 2024, 13:26

As @Chris Seveney said, it's time to pull out the excel speadsheet to figure the whole thing out. With a calculation being on a deal by deal basis you'll need to go in depth with costs VS profit with both scenarios and timelines. 

Either could make you more money but dependent on market conditions, location, timeline, roadbumps, rates, etc..... 

Good luck and let us know what you figure out!

User Stats

Votes
Julie Muse
Professional Services
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • North Georgia
Votes |
Professional Services
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • North Georgia
Replied Jun 11 2024, 05:45

I think 50/50 is fair if they are funding the deal. Just keep hammering out the deals until you have saved enough to fund yourself. 

User Stats

Votes
Crystal Smith
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Chicago, IL
ModeratorReplied Jun 11 2024, 06:08
Quote from @Tripp Wylie:

Thanks!

Now that you have proved things out and have a track record you should be establishing other sources for your loans. In my opinion, you should have at least 3 potential lenders. With the other sources in place you may be able to negotiate a better deal with your current lender.  Don't start negotiating with your current lender until the others are in place.
The Smith Group Logo