Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
Rehabbing & House Flipping

User Stats

Votes
Brandon Jensen
Votes |
Fix & flip funding

Brandon Jensen
Posted Apr 26 2024, 12:20

Happy Friday everyone! :)

I am looking for any tips on how to go about getting the green light on getting funded for my first of many fix & flips, I started a LLC a few months back and my credit score is pretty low as I've broke both my legs over a period of time.(healed now) I have someone with a 620 (not the best) credit score willing to help me get into a business loan to try and get around 50k funded so I can use a DSCR loan to get started as id need 20% down. So I was thinking if I could get a small business loan to get my 20% covered and then get into a DSCR loan and be off to the races. Any input, ideas or suggestions on how to get going? Im damned and determined to get going asap and am doing what I need to, to get my credit back up so this is all easier for future flips!

Truly thankful for this group of extremely helpful minds! 

User Stats

Votes
Elizabeth Seiferth
Pro Member
  • New to Real Estate
  • Carlsbad, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • New to Real Estate
  • Carlsbad, CA
Replied Apr 27 2024, 21:56
Quote from @Brandon Jensen:

I am looking for any tips on how to go about getting the green light on getting funded for my first of many fix & flips, I started a LLC a few months back and my credit score is pretty low as I've broke both my legs over a period of time.(healed now) I have someone with a 620 (not the best) credit score willing to help me get into a business loan to try and get around 50k funded so I can use a DSCR loan to get started as id need 20% down. So I was thinking if I could get a small business loan to get my 20% covered and then get into a DSCR loan and be off to the races. Any input, ideas or suggestions on how to get going? Im damned and determined to get going asap and am doing what I need to, to get my credit back up so this is all easier for future flips!

Hi Brandon,

Congrats on the LLC! To my knowledge, most flippers use hard money loans as they are often buying distressed properties that will not meet the requirements of a conventional lender. I have not heard of anyone using a DSCR loan on a fix and flip, not to say it’s not possible!

Hard money loans typically come with higher interest rates (10-14%) and often have a balloon payment at the end of the term. They would require skin in the game (cash) and your analysis on a specific deal before funding 80-90% of the purchase price + construction costs. It would be worth connecting with hard money lenders on bigger pockets to learn more. 

As for your down payment, I can’t personally speak to a small business loan…you would just want to ensure you include those payments in your analysis and prepare to be repaying the small business loan and other holding costs during the flip. 

Good luck! 

User Stats

Votes
Robin Simon#1 Private Lending & Conventional Mortgage Advice Contributor
  • Lender
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Robin Simon#1 Private Lending & Conventional Mortgage Advice Contributor
  • Lender
  • Austin, TX
Replied Apr 28 2024, 07:41

DSCR Loans are going to be strictly for "turnkey" properties - no properties can qualify with any significant rehab or deferred maintenance needed

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Francisco Hernandez
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Baraboo, WI
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Baraboo, WI
Replied Apr 28 2024, 10:14

My advice would be to network first. Find PMLs PMPs or buyers first and bring them deals, if you consistently bring deals they could eventually fund your flips 100% but they wont fully fund your first one and let you take off. They will probably only partner with you for the first few to see that you can pull it off. 

User Stats

Votes
Yoav Gilad
  • Lender
  • Ann Arbor, MI
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Ann Arbor, MI
Replied Apr 29 2024, 06:50

Hi Brandon, congratulations on making the decision. Now, comes the hard part. As a couple of others have already said, a DSCR loan is for turnkey properties and is also (typically) a 30-year fixed rate loan, similar to what you would get for your primary home.

I think a short-term fix-and-flip loan would serve you better because, first, the credit requirements are typically lower than a DSCR loan's credit requirements, and fix-and-flip loans will fund a portion of the purchase price as well as some or all of the rehab costs (usually through the draw process).

Right now, saving your cash, rebuilding your credit, and finding both a partner (ideally with a higher credit score AND experience) and lender you're comfortable with should be your priorities. Feel free to let me know if I can answer any other questions. Thank you and good luck!