Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
Rehabbing & House Flipping
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes

New at fix and flipping

Lara Di Girolamo
Posted Apr 25 2024, 11:47

Hi there, I'm considering starting my fix and flip business with a first property in Tampa. How is the market currently? Is there anyone operating in the area who can tell me if it's a good time to buy? Thank you! :)

User Stats

Votes
Carlos Valencia
  • Lender
Votes |
  • Lender
Replied Apr 25 2024, 12:20

Hi Lara, 

Its always a great time to buy. There's nothing like the present. When it comes to fix and flips the uglier the house the better. The key is to make sure you purchase your the home at the lowest cost and know what your after repair value will be to see if you will actually be able to make a nice margin after netting all cost. Make sure you underwrite your deal to what makes business sense to you. Also have your team ready in regards to whos going to rehab the property. Make sure to move fast as well because on these projects time is of the essence because the longer you hold the property the more money you lose every month. Lastly expect to pay 2-3 points in cost for a hard money loan and rates to be 12-14% for first time investor. Good luck on your first project. 

@Albert Bui @Matthew Kwan

User Stats

Votes
Jacob Sherman
Pro Member
  • 12 Penns Trail Suite 138 Newtown, PA 18940
Votes |
Pro Member
  • 12 Penns Trail Suite 138 Newtown, PA 18940
Replied Apr 25 2024, 20:17

I would connect with a realtor and have them do a market analysis for you

BiggerPockets logo
Network With Property Managers
|
BiggerPockets
Partnering with a property manager before you buy will boost your bottom line. Match and mingle with top property managers now!

User Stats

Votes
Lisandro Maldonado
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Davenport, FL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Davenport, FL
Replied May 14 2024, 12:16

Hey @Lara Di Girolamo! As a first-time flip, I suggest we talk a little more deeply as to what considerations you plan on doing and your overall goals in flipping homes in that area. I work specifically more near the Osceola County (Kissimmee) area. My MLS spans all throughout Tampa and mostly all of Central Florida and can give you some Comparable Market Analyses near that area to help you with this journey. Don't hesitate to inbox me a message!

User Stats

Votes
Lara Di Girolamo
Replied May 14 2024, 12:55

check dm!

User Stats

Votes
John Schmitt
  • Investor
  • Williston, ND
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Williston, ND
Replied May 14 2024, 14:56

I'm looking to enter the Tampa market as well, but as a wholesaler. Would love to connect. 

User Stats

Votes
Alacia Mahnken
Agent
  • Realtor
  • Tampa, FL
Votes |
Agent
  • Realtor
  • Tampa, FL
Replied May 14 2024, 19:18
Quote from @Lara Di Girolamo:

Hi there, I'm considering starting my fix and flip business with a first property in Tampa. How is the market currently? Is there anyone operating in the area who can tell me if it's a good time to buy? Thank you! :)

The hardest part about flipping in Tampa is the higher cost to enter the game here. Do you have your team in place?  $ or lender, real estate agent, GC, etc?

User Stats

Votes
Lara Di Girolamo
Replied May 15 2024, 08:33
Quote from @John Schmitt:

I'm looking to enter the Tampa market as well, but as a wholesaler. Would love to connect. 

check dm

User Stats

Votes
Replied Aug 14 2024, 07:19

Hey Lara, 

Starting your fix-and-flip business in Tampa is an exciting move. As a hard money lender operating in the Central Florida area, including Tampa, I can tell you that the market here remains strong, with plenty of opportunities for savvy investors.

Tampa's real estate market has been quite active, with demand still high, especially in desirable neighborhoods. While inventory can be tight, well-priced properties that are updated or renovated continue to attract buyers quickly. If you’re considering jumping in, it’s a good time to buy, especially if you can find a property with solid potential for value-add improvements.

If you’d like to discuss financing options or need insights on specific areas in Tampa, feel free to reach out. I’m here to help you navigate your first project and make sure you’re set up for success

User Stats

Votes
Jorge Vazquez
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Tampa, FL
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Tampa, FL
Replied Aug 14 2024, 10:58

The Tampa market is currently strong, with a good demand for fix and flip opportunities. However, it's worth noting that we have two clients with active flips that have been on the market for longer than a month. It's always a good idea to connect with local investors or real estate professionals who are active in the area to get firsthand insights. Timing can be crucial, so getting advice from those with experience in Tampa can be beneficial. Good luck with your business venture!

• Broker Florida (#SL3334101)

Graystone Investment Group Logo

User Stats

Votes
Cam Schwartz
  • Lender
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Chicago, IL
Replied Aug 18 2024, 15:51

Hi @Lara Di Girolamo, we've funded deals in South FL and have clients who have completed flips in Tampa. To my understanding, there has been a surplus of inventory hitting the market as of late, making for a strong buyer's market. Anecdotally, one investor in our network has had to cut price multiple times on two of their currently listed flips in Tampa given the amount of properties on the market. Something to keep in mind as you're estimating project duration and ARV.

User Stats

Votes
Rapy Narruhn
  • Vancouver, WA
Votes |
  • Vancouver, WA
Replied Aug 21 2024, 04:59

How's it going so far? Did you end up flipping your first property? @Lara Di Girolamo