Inheritance of paid off San Diego property

Inheritance of paid off San Diego property

Albany, OR · Member since 2024 · 8 posts · 7 votes

Hi!
In its current state, $1.2 million property that’s in my family. This property will be gifted to me and my wife. Located in San Diego, CA. The house that sits on it, is pretty much a small shack, the houses around it with same lot size have all been rebuilt and are in 2-3 million range.

New to investing and I have a single rental property currently, looking to obtain more (with a goal of owning 10 in the next 5 years) Can inheritance property be leveraged in a way to achieve this or more?

I obviously need to build a house on it to bring the value up to its potential (I don’t even know where to start with something like this) Then sell it? I feel like this is a property I should keep in the family given its location. Rebuild a house and rent it out? Use leverage to purchase rentals (I don’t know how the details of this would work?

Thanks!

1Reply
15 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Chris P.:

    Hi!
    In its current state, $1.2 million property that’s in my family. This property will be gifted to me and my wife. Located in San Diego, CA. The house that sits on it, is pretty much a small shack, the houses around it with same lot size have all been rebuilt and are in 2-3 million range.

    New to investing and I have a single rental property currently, looking to obtain more (with a goal of owning 10 in the next 5 years) Can inheritance property be leveraged in a way to achieve this or more?

    I obviously need to build a house on it to bring the value up to its potential (I don’t even know where to start with something like this) Then sell it? I feel like this is a property I should keep in the family given its location. Rebuild a house and rent it out? Use leverage to purchase rentals (I don’t know how the details of this would work?

    Thanks!

    When you inherit the property, you will have 100% equity. Banks will typically lend you up to 80% of the equity. If the home is currently worth $1 million, take out an equity loan for $800,000. Build a really nice house, sell it for $2 million, and walk away with $1.2 million. That doesn't make much sense if you can sell it right now for $1.2 million profit. However, if you can sell it for $2.5 million then you'll end up with $500,000 more in profit ($1.7 vs $1.2).

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.