what do i do with inspector who makes me a very herd time

what do i do with inspector who makes me a very herd time

Investor · Brooklyn NY · Member since 2021 · 17 posts · 2 votes

I finally finished rehabbing a property after 8 months being busy with it,      I put it out on Zillow and finally after long weeks searching i find a good tenant,    at the final thing I wanted to make the inspection for the CO, I got a very tough inspector, so before he even went to the house he told me that I need to destroy a distress shed that was in the backyard, that itself cost me $1,800,    then after that he went down and asked me for a list of the people who was going to live there and it was eight people so he told me that only four people are allowed even though it's a big three bedroom house, so i have to cancel tenet and she is crying ,    and then he gave me a long list of things that needs to be repaired including inspected for lead-based paint and to level up the backyard and many many things which are hard to do and cost a lot of money, so my question is what in the world can I do now ? it's really terrible for me

0Reply
11 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Youngstown, OH · Member since 2023 · 128 posts · 124 votes
3y

If you were rehabbing this property for 8 months, issues like the distressed shed and lead-based paint testing/rectification should have been handled a while ago. I'm not sure what you mean by "level up" the backyard, but I'm guessing you mean that it needs leveled. If this was for a section 8 property, or you have a local housing authority that inspects rentals prior to receiving a license, you should have obtained a copy of their requirements prior to beginning rehab. Doesn't seem like there's much you can do now besides address the concerns, though.

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Youngstown, OH · Member since 2023 · 128 posts · 124 votes
    3y

    If you were rehabbing this property for 8 months, issues like the distressed shed and lead-based paint testing/rectification should have been handled a while ago. I'm not sure what you mean by "level up" the backyard, but I'm guessing you mean that it needs leveled. If this was for a section 8 property, or you have a local housing authority that inspects rentals prior to receiving a license, you should have obtained a copy of their requirements prior to beginning rehab. Doesn't seem like there's much you can do now besides address the concerns, though.

  • Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2021 · 9k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    3y

    Negotiate and see where the inspector is coming from, why only 4 people? Why destroy the shed? Why test for lead based paint if the house has 15 coats of paint over it? Stop being a victim. 

  • Contractor · Scottsdale, AZ · Member since 2010 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y

    Your options are probably pretty limited. I'd start by talking with a local expert (another landlord or a knowledgeable real estate agent) just to get their opinion on the matter.

    It's possible you can escalate this to the inspectors supervisor or request another opinion. But as @Alex L. stated, this is all stuff you probably should have taken care of during your rehab.

  • Investor · Brooklyn NY · Member since 2021 · 17 posts · 2 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Eliott Elias:

    Negotiate and see where the inspector is coming from, why only 4 people? Why destroy the shed? Why test for lead based paint if the house has 15 coats of paint over it? Stop being a victim. 


     how is it possible to negotiate? .  he is a very rude and   tough guy 

  • Investor · Brooklyn NY · Member since 2021 · 17 posts · 2 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Scott E.:

    Your options are probably pretty limited. I'd start by talking with a local expert (another landlord or a knowledgeable real estate agent) just to get their opinion on the matter.

    It's possible you can escalate this to the inspectors supervisor or request another opinion. But as @Alex L. stated, this is all stuff you probably should have taken care of during your rehab.



    ''It's possible you can escalate this to the inspectors supervisor or request another opinion.''   o wow how dose that work ?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.