I'm a Plumber/Investor & I'm here to help

I'm a Plumber/Investor & I'm here to help

Investor · Monrovia, CA · Member since 2012 · 219 posts · 79 votes

Please contact me with any plumbing issues

Im here to help ,I have held a Calif C36 license for 30 years,I am also licensed by the City and County of Los Angeles,,,,

I have no interest in soliciting or marketing plumbing services on this forum,,,

I am here to gleen knowledge on investing ,so if I can be useful in an exchange of information ,I'm happy to participate in this great forum,,,

I am very grateful to be a part of BP and happy to help any investor anyway I can

I am interested in Wholesaling,Rehabbing,Buy and Hold, and Probate Investing,,,

Best Regards

Dave Doyle

Los Angeles

16Reply
845 views

Most Popular Reply

Peoria, IL · Member since 2011 · 365 posts · 182 votes
12y
Originally posted by @David Doyle:

,,,,stay away from PEX ,,,,rats like it they can hear and smell the water,,,,they'll eat it when there thirsty,,,,

Some rats in my area can smell copper. They steal it and sell it for scrap.

See this reply in the discussion

202 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Portland, OR · Member since 2013 · 154 posts · 67 votes
    12y

    What a nice offer! I don't have any plumbing questions right now or I would happily take you up on it.

    Good luck with your future ventures : )

  • Real Estate Investor Downey , CA · Member since 2013 · 118 posts · 8 votes
    12y
    Welcome Dave I am also from Los Angeles!
  • Beacon, NY · Member since 2013 · 41 posts · 6 votes
    12y

    @David Doyle

    This is why I think this site is great. Thanks Dave for the offer and good luck with your investing.

  • Dawn AnastasiPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2013 · 6k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    12y

    Is Moen the best brand for plumbing fixtures? I have been told by a couple plumbers before that they will only install tub/shower faucets with Moen branded valves.

  • Investor · Monrovia, CA · Member since 2012 · 219 posts · 79 votes
    12y

    Yes Dawn that is correct,,,

    Moen valves are the best value dollar per dollar ,also they have a feature where u can shut off the hot and cold water at the shower valve to do repairs without shutting off the whole house

    A higher end valve would be Symmons

    Best value for faucets would be;

    Chicago Faucets [indestructable,,,buy them once,,,can be rebuilt over and over]

    Wolverine Brass /excellent products Made in USA

    Trouble Proof Toilets

    Kohler Wellworth

    Gerber Avalanche

    Never use Type M Copper Pipe ,,,]Red Code on pipe] always use at least Type L [Blue Code Meduim weight pipe],,,,stay away from PEX ,,,,rats like it they can hear and smell the water,,,,they'll eat it when there thirsty,,,,

    Hope this helps,,,,,[ can you help me find a long distance flip in Milwakee?,,,DD]

  • Investor · Fairfax, VA · Member since 2013 · 126 posts · 28 votes
    12y

    @David Doyle thanks for your kind offer! I have a 2-unit rental property that keeps having a backup in the main sewer line. We've had handymen rod it out three times, and each time it's paper towels and other paper products which are causing the clog (the clog is between the basement and the street). Of course both tenants deny responsibility. Landlord-tenant laws being what they are, we can't force everyone to meet over dinner and solve it like Agatha Christie or Matlock would. Any suggestions on how to narrow down the culprit? Thanks!

    John

  • Real Estate Investor · Lansdowne, PA · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 656 votes
    12y

    @David Doyle

    Welcome to BP. Happy investings & a happier holiday season to you & yours.

    Kudos,

    Mary

  • Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2013 · 205 posts · 44 votes
    12y

    Im rehabbing a house and trying to find out what the slope needs to be the bathroom on drain.

    -Mainly a bathroom that I am relocating approx. 12 feet away from main drain pipe. Mainly concerned about the toliet drain. I know I will have to make a vent pipe because the drain/vent is more than 3 feet away.

    Thanks

  • Investor · Monrovia, CA · Member since 2012 · 219 posts · 79 votes
    12y

    John the only paper product that should go down a drain is toilet paper,as its designed to break down when it contacts water.

    No paper towels ,,,or the like ,,,thats a "No No".Drains wont handle it even if theyre "pitched " or "Graded" at a 1/4" drop per foot,,,which is optimum grade for a horizontal drain line gang.,,,,

    John you might be a good Samaritan and buy them a months worth of toillet paper if,,,they'll fork over those darn paper towels,,,!!!

    Robert,,,I think I answered your question here ;

    Optimum grade is 1/4" per linear foot.

    Hope that helps,,,,DD

  • Investor · Fairfax, VA · Member since 2013 · 126 posts · 28 votes
    12y

    Thanks Dave I like that answer!

  • Peoria, IL · Member since 2011 · 365 posts · 182 votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @David Doyle:

    ,,,,stay away from PEX ,,,,rats like it they can hear and smell the water,,,,they'll eat it when there thirsty,,,,

    Some rats in my area can smell copper. They steal it and sell it for scrap.

  • Investor · Tucson, AZ · Member since 2013 · 124 posts · 11 votes
    12y

    @Michael Herr

    Good one Michael. LOL

  • Investor · Monrovia, CA · Member since 2012 · 219 posts · 79 votes
    12y

    Well said Michael,,,,,well said,,,

    The first thing any good rehabber should buy is good F 150 pickup with a built in toolbox,,,,

    The 2nd thing is a real mean Pitbull dog that has the run of the house and back yard at night,,,,,

    Also use some discretion about who sees what you bring in and out of a project house,,,,,,,if your dropping off $400 bucks worth of copper pipe and a $500 EPA gas water heater,,,,,,you might drop it off and move it inside around 5:00AM ,,,you know ,,,when the "bad boys" drinking beer on the porch across the street are fast asleep,,,,

    Just food for thought,,,,,,,DD

  • Douglas LarsonPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Salt Lake City, UT · Member since 2008 · 410 posts · 337 votes
    12y

    @David Doyle

    You're offer and tips so far are great!

    I have tenants that left the heat off while out of town and the copper froze and split in 5 different places. Luckily it did not cause a flood but the repairs were $750. Is there any way for a landlord to winter-proof interior plumbing with a drain or pressure-relief valve similar to anti-siphon exterior hose bibs?

  • San Jose, CA · Member since 2013 · 39 posts · 5 votes
    12y

    @David Doyle

    Do you have a standard recipe for plumbing/fixtures to make plumbing problems cheaper and easier in rental houses? You mentioned good quality and service friendly fixtures earlier. For example,

    • I install the standard ball valves underneath every fixture/sink,
    • use TOTO Drake toilets (strongest basic flush system ever!! It will take even a plumbers best log),
    • install vinyl/lino floor under sinks and dishwashers to catch leaks.. etc

    For saving space, money and reliability, which type of tankless hot water system is best for landlords?

    For clearing out the entire diameter of our sewer laterals rather than a small portion with smaller rooter tools, what question should I ask a rooter service to make sure the entire pipe is cleared? Somebody mentioned that the tools used are larger than generic rooter equipment.

    -Alex from the SF Bay Area

  • Investor · Monrovia, CA · Member since 2012 · 219 posts · 79 votes
    12y

    Happy New Year Douglas

    Your talking to a California Boy here Douglas, whose spent more time on a skateboard than a snowboard and thats the Gods honset truth.But I'll give it a try

    You should consider insulating both your hot and cold copper lines with the heaviest poly foam insulation you can buy,,,i'm talking 3/4 to 1" thick and I mean every linear foot of pipe,,,,

    Now having said that,its my understanding that in colder climates there are systems where you actually wrap your water supply piping with heating wire to prevent freezing,Of course the key here is you must have 24/7 electrical power to the wiring.

    Now to my new friend Alex M,,,

    In a word Alex ,youre off to a good start,,,,,

    For my money ,your cant beat the Noritz tankless water heater products,,,,in the first place,,,if you have a troubleshooting issue ,they send their tech guy out to your house to check out your problem with your unit,,,you heard me right,,,

    Secondly ,they are a class act,,,,I'll say it like this ,,,contractors like myself LOVE THEM ,,,because we get no call backs from Noritz products,,,,

    Bare in mind ,,,the secret to tankless is;

    You want to install them on an outside wall ,,,why? No venting thru the roof ! just keep the unit code distance away from any window,,,

    A tankless install is considered a "home improvement " gang,,,OK? You must be ready to increase you gas pipe by one size,,,if your running 3/4" black pipe get ready to increase to 1".You must run a dedicated 120 volt circuit to the unit.

    You must ready ready for maintenance ie flushing out the unit with a mild acid solution every 4 to 6 months,,,,

    If you can handle that,,,,,,the good news is ,,you now have a water heater that will last and last a long time without replacement ,,,,,if youll do the maintenance,,,,no more leaky tanks,,,,,,if your unit fails its usaully an inexpensive electronic component problem ,,easy to change out ,,,,

    OK gang ,,Im off my soapbox,,,,Best of luck in 2014

    Dave Doyle

    Los Angeles

  • Investor · Monrovia, CA · Member since 2012 · 219 posts · 79 votes
    12y

    Im sorry Alex,,,

    Your drain cleaning issue

    Some caviats;

    Never clean a drain from a roof top vent,,,,your cable can get stuck and you cant use the proper size cutter head,,,,,workmen and equipment fall of roofs and create lawsuits,,,,[not jumpsuits,,,not swimsuits,,,law suits gang ,,,Ka Ching?!!!!]

    You want to have the benefit of a COTG /Clean Out To Grade fitting,,,,,Dave what the Hell is that?

    Simply said its a "letter T shaped " pipe fitting on its back ,like an upside down T in the front yard of the property that allows the technician to access the main drain ,usually 3 to 4" pipe ,,,set up an electric cable machine with the proper size cutter that matches the pipe diameter [ usually 3-4"]

    This way the technician can safely ,properly quickly clear the affected drain line

    Mechanical drain cleaning with cable equipment only clears about 70% of root intrusion ,,for a more complete cleaning the homeowner should also consider and request a high pressure water hydro jet drain cleaning .Properly done this unit will clean out roots down to the bare wall of your pipe

    The installation of a COTG also allows the option of running a fiber optic drain camera inspection of your drain line from house to street in living color,,,

    Hope this help gang

    DD in Los Angeles

  • Rental Property Investor · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2013 · 59 posts · 14 votes
    12y
    Agree with some sort of protection system. I'm a fan of Safemart home security. Never have used a dog before. I'm a fan of AO Smith water heaters. Can get then from Ferguson or Cal Steam (same thing actually) for decent price, and AO Smith provides excellent service!
  • Dawn AnastasiPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2013 · 6k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    12y

    I have been told that Bradford-White is a really good water heater brand.

  • Investor · Monrovia, CA · Member since 2012 · 219 posts · 79 votes
    12y

    Right on Melvin!!!

    Also please check out Rheem and or Bradford White gas tank water heaters

    Again Noritz takes it as far as tankless water heater go,,,

    Bare in mind ,a tankless water heater change out from an old fashioned gas tank water heater is not just "remove and replace" its a major home improvement,,,,

    May not make sense for a simple rental house,,,,

    DD

  • Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 452 posts · 309 votes
    12y

    Hi David,

    You're input here is great! Thanks for your generosity.

    I have a question for you. I've got a shower drain that gets clogged in a master shower on a new construction project. Of course, I'm guessing that there is a rock or materials from tile installation down there. Thoughts on how to move it through the system? Something I can pour down it to get it to break up and not destroy the PVC? This is in a drain in a slab.

    Lynn

  • Investor · Monrovia, CA · Member since 2012 · 219 posts · 79 votes
    12y

    Happy New Year Lynn

    OK ,,,the matter of shower drains,,,

    The most common cause of a shower drain stoppage in my experience has been long hair in the drain as a result of our dear womenfolk shampooing in the shower.In all fairness a guys hair will clog it up too,,,especially if he's a wanna be Rock Star ,,,hair is hair.!!!!

    Usually an "Erickson machine" which is a hand operated drum or "top snake" cable machine will extract a couple handfuls of hair at about 4 to 10 linear feet down the drain.This is the usual fix.

    If this does not solve your problem I reccomend the services of a professional drain cleaning company.These folks have rolling workshops with drain equipment of every description include fiber optic cameras that can inspect drains as small as 2" in diameter.Choose a firm that strictly specializes in drain cleaning opposed to genral plumbing.These guys solve problems like yours everyday ,,,theres quite a lot to it actually,,,and these guys have seen EVERYTHING believe me,,,

    Lynn if you indeed have broken remnants of tile or concrete in your shower drain it will be very difficult to correct in a "slab job" house.You may request a technician to attempt vacumning out the remnants with a "wet dry vacumn".He can then a attempt to clear it with a cable machine or a high pressure "Hydro Jetter" machine.

    If you had a raised foundation house of course you would have the option of a plumber working under the problem area and "chopping out " the section of clogged pipe and replacing it with new material.This is one of the many reasons I do not like nor will I invest in slab houses.

    Good luck Lynn and hope this helps

    Dave Doyle

    Los Angeles

  • Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 452 posts · 309 votes
    12y

    Thanks for the thorough answer, Dave. I'll find a drain cleaning company and start there.

    Lynn

  • Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2010 · 116 posts · 36 votes
    12y

    Hi Dave,

    I've been enjoying reading your thread. Thanks for sharing all of your valuable experience and information with us!

    I have a general question: I have two plumbers that I use - one is cheaper and one is more expensive. I like the more expensive one because he seems to analyze the problem and put in a long term solution - (the cheaper one has been known to repair things with tape - but he is good for snaking clogs).

    However I have started thinking that the more expensive one might be taking advantage of me - for example, if he says I need to have a fixture replaced and not repaired, or that I need to have some drains replaced, I usually just do it. Lately, most of my calls with him have turned into big projects - a clog is a drain replacement, a leaky faucet is a fixture and valve replacement, etc. I don't want to offend him - I know that I need both of them available when the tenant's kitchen is covered in sewage on christmas eve because of a mainline clog, but is there any way I can see if he is being honest or padding his projects?

    Thanks again for this thread!

  • Real Estate Investor · Member since 2013 · 866 posts · 487 votes
    12y

    Whew! When I fist scanned the title I thought it said you were from the government and here to help.

    One of the scariest phrases known to rational beings. :-)

    Welcome aboard!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.