Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Chicago Real Estate Forum
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Umair Rizwan
  • Rental Property Investor
  • San Francisco, CA
Votes |
Multi Family Investing in Chicago?

Umair Rizwan
  • San Francisco, CA
Posted Feb 13 2020, 17:52

I am looking to purchase a 3-4 unit property in Chicago. I am originally from NorCal and have been investing here but it's getting tougher to find cash flowing properties. I am currently in the process of locating RE agent and identifying areas that work. What part of Chicago would you all say is a good mix of price to rent ratios and can easily sustain the 1% rule. 

User Stats

Votes
Henry Lazerow
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Chicago, IL
Replied Feb 13 2020, 18:09

I have sold several deals for California buyers. West Town is a good option. It won't be 1% but you can get around .8% for class A area 700+ credit renters and very strong demand. The areas with 1%+ will be lower rents and lower class renters who cause more ware/tear which makes cap/ex take up a higher percentage. The management fees change too for class A I have managers who do 5% flat but for lower class areas you are typically looking at 8%+. For 1% rule you can do Brighton Park, Mckinley Park (harder and harder now there), Belmont Craigin, Bronzeville hard to find and super hot right now but pop up once in a while and then there is of course chicago suburbs (higher taxes in suburbs but higher % ratio of cashflow so some trade offs). 

99% of deals aren't good. You buy the outliars. Most of my clients will raise rents significantly after purchase so knowing the market rents in an area is a strategy we use for an upper hand on finding cashflow potential. IL has no rent control here and many of these buildings have tenants who lived there many years and were not professionally marketed have seen rents go up 50%+ often on new lease up. 

User Stats

Votes
Tricia Gatia
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
  • Chicago, IL
Replied Feb 16 2020, 00:05

@Henry Lazerow I’ve been looking at almost all the listings and a good deal is super hard to find in Chicago especially not wanting to live in high crime-rated areas. I feel as though you’d have to raise your price in order to find good quality multi family homes in Chicago. Correct me if I’m wrong!

Demo
Practice finding and analyzing deals
Tulsa, OK
$231,902 - Median Home Value
5.97% - YoY Rent Growth
$1,351 - Median Rental Income
0.58% - Rent/Price Ratio
4.56% - Appreciation
0.77% - Population Growth Rate
Find Deals

User Stats

Votes
Henry Lazerow
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Chicago, IL
Replied Feb 16 2020, 06:25

He would be buying 25% down. Its easy to find nice area cashflow with that leverage and low 4.1% current rates.

For the low down with pmi its definitely harder but we have been finding deals that work. 

User Stats

Votes
Replied Feb 16 2020, 07:39

"I’ve been looking at almost all the listings and a good deal is super hard to find in Chicago especially not wanting to live in high crime-rated areas."

------------------------------------

"Good deal" -- whatever that term means -- is always hard to find wherever and whenever, for the simple reason that a "good deal" for the buyer means that the seller is leaving money on the table and vice versa.

In an efficient market there are no "good deals," only transactions where the return on  investment compensates (just) for risk.

User Stats

Votes
John Warren
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • 1658 N. Milwaukee Ave Ste B PMP 18969 Chicago, IL 60647
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • 1658 N. Milwaukee Ave Ste B PMP 18969 Chicago, IL 60647
Replied Feb 18 2020, 05:42

@Umair Rizwan it seems like you are trying to find an area of Chicago where you can hit the 1% rule. I would say that, in general, there are still areas where this is achievable. The north side is a little slim right now, but if you travel just a few minutes north west, west or south you will find properties that meet the 1% rule. 

Where are you looking to work or live? I always tell clients to start with their commute and then back track to find the area that makes sense for them based on their life. If you have to be in the loop every day, it may not make sense to invest an hour away just to get $200 a month in cash flow. 

Forte Properties, Inc Logo