What should I consider a good cash on cash return for chicago

What should I consider a good cash on cash return for chicago

Valparaiso, IN · Member since 2015 · 5 posts · 2 votes
I have been looking at Multi units in Chicago. Specifically in the Logan Square, Ukrainian Village, West Town, and Avondale neighborhoods. My question is, what type of cash on cash return should I consider a pretty good return on my money? Thanks for any advice. Dave
0Reply
31 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 25 posts · 11 votes
9y
Dave K. In the areas you mentioned you can find stabilized deals between 5.5-6.75% CAP. I would target at least a 8% CoC depending on leverage.
See this reply in the discussion

14 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 123 posts · 64 votes
    9y

     Which direction are you looking at going into in these areas Dave? Is it cash flow  for rentals or appreciation?

  • Rental Property Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 318 posts · 307 votes
    9y
    Dave K. Definitely an appreciation area vs cash flow. 5% annually I would suggest to be a base. Especially if you are buying the MLS route. Good luck!
  • Valparaiso, IN · Member since 2015 · 5 posts · 2 votes
    9y
    Hi Aaron, I am definitely hoping for appreciation but want to have a solid cash flow as well.
  • Valparaiso, IN · Member since 2015 · 5 posts · 2 votes
    9y
    Thanks for the feedback Ibn. Much appreciated
  • Real Estate Entrepreneur / Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 688 posts · 367 votes
    9y
    Dave K. How's it going. I have a couple of investors that invest up north in chicago. It's fine if they are aware of the limited cash flow and appreciation ceiling. Those areas are very expensive because they are well developed. The property taxes are high as well. I wouldn't recommend any investors invest there for cash flow since there are better opportunities available on the west and south side of chicago as well as the suburbs as well. But if you are head set on investing up north than that's fine too lol do what you want . For the most part I only send 11% cash on cash return or better to my investors and that's difficult to find in those areas of North chicago. Now if you are trying to flip up north that's different. But even then it's hard to find a good one because I'm sure if there are good deals located up north chicago it will be gone in a day or two. Anyone can PM me for tips, advice or looking for assistance. Thanks
  • Valparaiso, IN · Member since 2015 · 5 posts · 2 votes
    9y
    Thanks Elbert. That's good info. I'm not set on that area for sure. Just doing some initial research then going to start focusing on a definite area.
  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 25 posts · 11 votes
    9y
    Dave K. In the areas you mentioned you can find stabilized deals between 5.5-6.75% CAP. I would target at least a 8% CoC depending on leverage.
  • Valparaiso, IN · Member since 2015 · 5 posts · 2 votes
    9y
    Kurt Bender thank you. I plan on putting down 25%.
  • Real Estate Entrepreneur / Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 688 posts · 367 votes
    9y
    Dave K. Sounds good. Let me know if I can help
  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 515 posts · 247 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Elbert D.:

    Dave K. How's it going. I have a couple of investors that invest up north in chicago. It's fine if they are aware of the limited cash flow and appreciation ceiling. Those areas are very expensive because they are well developed. The property taxes are high as well. I wouldn't recommend any investors invest there for cash flow since there are better opportunities available on the west and south side of chicago as well as the suburbs as well. But if you are head set on investing up north than that's fine too lol do what you want . For the most part I only send 11% cash on cash return or better to my investors and that's difficult to find in those areas of North chicago. Now if you are trying to flip up north that's different. But even then it's hard to find a good one because I'm sure if there are good deals located up north chicago it will be gone in a day or two. Anyone can PM me for tips, advice or looking for assistance. Thanks

     I am an investor on the north side of the city and I agree with what you're saying.  I invest more for long term equity growth and am willing to sacrifice the good cash flow elsewhere because my wife and I both have pretty decent paying W2 jobs that we don't plan to leave any time soon.  

    I think to make cash flow work solidly on the north side, you need to approach places where you can force equity through rehab or finishing unfinished space.  Finding a turn key property on the north side that cash flows is unlikely IMO.  

  • Crystal SmithPro Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Chicago, IL · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Dave K.:

    I have been looking at Multi units in Chicago. Specifically in the Logan Square, Ukrainian Village, West Town, and Avondale neighborhoods. My question is, what type of cash on cash return should I consider a pretty good return on my money? Thanks for any advice. Dave

    If you mean Cap Rate, which is different than Cash on Cash Return, then a good CAP Rate in the area's you're looking in would be 5%. Even that may be high.

  • Rental Property Investor · Honolulu, HAWAII (HI) · Member since 2011 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y
    A good cashflow for turn key is 8-10 percent cash on cash. But make sure you work with someone with the numbers on a spreadsheet. Chicago who high taxes and FL as high insurance that is a little hidden to the newbie.
  • Rental Property Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 123 posts · 64 votes
    9y

    Hi Taxes only come into play on investment property valued over 250k which I wouldn't consider good cash flow property in the 2-4 unit size

  • Attorney · Northbrook, IL · Member since 2017 · 719 posts · 549 votes
    9y

    A stable CAP rate is typically 4% to 5% for a nice area with no rental issues. If you are willing to venture into some less developed neighborhoods or areas that demand more attention for rent collection, you can find a CAP rate around 10% to 12%.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.