Chicago Action Investors 5/7/16

Chicago Action Investors 5/7/16

Cory GardnerPro Member
Real Estate Agent · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2015 · 65 posts · 65 votes

Hello BiggerPockets members!!!

So many people are taking action, we've got several projects underway and everyone knows the MLS is drying up so we're exploring some additional strategies to fill up that pipeline.

If you or someone you know has a knack for finding deals, maybe you know of some yourself and you've been wanting to get involved with the group but aren't sure how to take the next steps.  TAKE SOME ACTION and reach out to @Account Closed and I's FIRST PROJECT (as long as the acquisition goes as planned - foreclosure by the 20th so the window is tight).  We sent the Assignment of Contract to the sellers attorney and our attorney will be connecting with them to review the contract (attorney review period ends today but nothing serious needed to be adjusted we think)

Zach and I are going to be tenants in common, however I will be appointing the title to my LLC that I set up a few months ago.

This property is a wholesale property, motivated seller, that was brought to us from a friendly connection.

It's a 4 flat with excellent bones.  Cinderblock walls/exterior, lots of natural lighting in all rooms.  Each of the units is a 2bdrm 1 bathroom of essentially the same dimensions.

We talked about adding some thin drywall to give it less of a dorm-room look (cinderblock walls).  The kitchens need serious revamping so we discussed adjusting some of the architecture to give it more of an open feel to the room.

There are some large trees with root structures that go under the building that will need to be removed, sort of a costly piece but they really impact the look of the property.  More details to come on the scope of work after we have the property.

We're looking at about a ~2 month rehab time, ARV in the $275k range. Acquisition is costing us 75k, Rehab will be 80-85k so could be a great margin here.

The next property we went to look at is run by a fellow realtor friend named Q.  This guy was throwing BOMBS of knowledge at us, talking about his personal experiences in real estate, getting into markets early before the hype hits them *cough* south side *cough* and investing while you still can.

Here's his philosophy:

So this is what he did.  Now he's doing some projects of larger value in the West Loop.

We talked about the settling of the properties east of California (the street), every single property from the lake to California is sitting on sand so a lot of what you'll see might have some offset floors or cracking but as Q says, "it is what it is".

Q shared with us his expertise on running a successful real estate business in areas that others are afraid to - important for new investors to remember when trying to get into the business if the fish are swimming one direction, instead of blindly following find out why.  There might be an opportunity to go a different direction.

If you always do what you've always done, you'll keep getting what you've always got.

3Reply
46 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 98 posts · 52 votes
10y

Sounds like a great group with excellent synergy. I would love to know how I can connect.

See this reply in the discussion

13 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 98 posts · 52 votes
    10y

    Sounds like a great group with excellent synergy. I would love to know how I can connect.

  • Cumming, GA · Member since 2014 · 218 posts · 71 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Demetrius Davis:

    Sounds like a great group with excellent synergy. I would love to know how I can connect.

    @Demetrius Davis , send a connect/colleague request to @Cory Gardner and/or @Account Closed

    continuous success

  • Loan Officer / Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2015 · 23 posts · 3 votes
    10y

    Cory I am interested in joining Chicago Action Investors

  • Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    10y

    Hey guys I would love to join the team, but how do I connect with you guys?

  • Property Manager · Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 118 posts · 35 votes
    10y

    @Account Closed the group is having a meeting this Saturday the 10th. It will be my first time going and I am very excited.

  • Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 9 posts · 0 votes
    9y

    Hello,

    I'm interested in joining the Chicago Action Group.   What is next step to get involved with this group?

    Patrick

  • Toronto ON, Canada · Member since 2015 · 33 posts · 7 votes
    9y

    Hey guys, this looks awesome! Would love to get involved!

  • Investor · Buffalo Grove, IL · Member since 2016 · 7 posts · 0 votes
    9y

    I am very interested in learning more about the group and joining the group.  

    Please let me know of next outing.  

  • Real Estate Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 48 posts · 8 votes
    9y

    anyone have a new investor friendly title company in chicago?

  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 79 posts · 62 votes
    8y

    Hello,

    Where is your next meet up and how do we sign up? Please PM me.

    Thank you

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.