Attorney recommendations for lowering chicago tax assesment?

Most Popular Reply

Jonathan KlemmBusiness Member
Moderator
Contractor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
4y

@Henry Lazerow - I've been working with Jerry Brown with Siegel & Callahan, P.C.

Their main focus is Chicago property tax appeals and have been easy to work with.  They don't charge unless your tax rate is lowered.....that being said mine hasn't been lowered yet.

I can provide contact details if desired, just reach out.

See this reply in the discussion

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · IL · Member since 2015 · 165 posts · 107 votes
    4y

    Interested to hear responses as well. I use a firm called Sarnoff & Baccash, they were a referral from my real estate attorney. It's somewhat difficult to evaluate a property tax attorney. Many of them charge the same percentage-of-savings based fee, and as long as their appeal produces any amount of savings I assume they have done a much better job than I would have done myself. Who else are the Chicago BP'ers using?

  • Real Estate Broker · 3412 S. Harlem Avenue Riverside, IL 60546 · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    4y

    @Russell W. I also am using Sarnoff and Baccash. We shall see how those reductions go this year... to be fair this is a challenging business for tax attorneys. We investors always expect miracles, but the reality is that taxes are bound to go up. 

  • West Hollywood, CA · Member since 2016 · 123 posts · 43 votes
    4y

    @Russell W. or @John Warren - would it be possible to DM me a contact? I would love to try it. I Farlap Associates. Very nice guy/team and relatively straight forward process. However, I didn't realize that I can't find for an appeal myself if the properties are wrapped in a LLC. So silly. So now I need to find an attorney to do the filing. But if your property is not in a LLC, I would suggest trying Farlap.

  • Real Estate Broker · 3412 S. Harlem Avenue Riverside, IL 60546 · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    4y

    @Donnie N. I will send you my attorney Zach's info. He is super responsive. Just mention that I sent him your way. 

  • West Hollywood, CA · Member since 2016 · 123 posts · 43 votes
    4y

    Thanks @John Warren! Looking forward to the info. 

  • Jonathan KlemmBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Contractor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    4y

    @Henry Lazerow - I've been working with Jerry Brown with Siegel & Callahan, P.C.

    Their main focus is Chicago property tax appeals and have been easy to work with.  They don't charge unless your tax rate is lowered.....that being said mine hasn't been lowered yet.

    I can provide contact details if desired, just reach out.

  • Real Estate Agent · Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    4y

    Thanks everyone! Reached out to the recomendations and will see how which seems the best fit. @Jonathan Klemm let them know you referred me. 

  • West Hollywood, CA · Member since 2016 · 123 posts · 43 votes
    4y

    @Jonathan Klemm - would you mind DM'ing me the recommendation as well?

    BTW, do you guys know if it's too late for re-assessment for this year in Cook and Will county?

  • Jonathan KlemmBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Contractor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    4y

    No Problem @Donnie N. happy to make the connection for you. 

    Since taxes are in arears I don't believe it's too late to assess for last year 2021, but I could be wrong.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.