Real Estate Agent · Walnut Creek CA, USA · Member since 2016 · 34 posts · 6 votes
Dear Forum,
My friend lives in the Bay Area and is preparing to relocate. I would like to get everyone's opinion on how he should make his next move. He has about 550,000 dollars to spend. Should he buy a 3,000 sq ft house in Oakley, CA for 550,000 or buy a 1,000 sq ft condominium in Walnut Creek, CA for 250,000 and a 2,600 sq ft house in Plumas Lake, CA for 300,000 and rent it out. He also has a girlfriend and a daughter and works in San Francisco. Everyone's insight is appreciated in this since this is an important decision. Thanks in advance.
Residential Real Estate Broker · San Mateo, CA · Member since 2013 · 585 posts · 264 votes
10y
@George Amiri your friend is in a great position to be in. There are a ton of factors outside of the items you listed that buyers usually think about when selecting a primary residence (i.e. schools, commute, etc.) that I know you know, but that really will influence a lot of the input you would get. I will send you a PM to follow up and share my 2 cents.
Residential Real Estate Broker · San Mateo, CA · Member since 2013 · 585 posts · 264 votes
10y
@George Amiri your friend is in a great position to be in. There are a ton of factors outside of the items you listed that buyers usually think about when selecting a primary residence (i.e. schools, commute, etc.) that I know you know, but that really will influence a lot of the input you would get. I will send you a PM to follow up and share my 2 cents.
Martinez, CA · Member since 2016 · 18 posts · 5 votes
10y
Walnut Creek is much closer to Oakland & SF, and has good schools. It's a retail hub for the Diablo Valley, and is developing itself into a financial center of sorts. In the last downturn its value held better than Oakley. If he moves from the condo in some years, and rents out the condo, there is more demand to be in Walnut Creek.
Residential Real Estate Broker · Paso Robles, CA · Member since 2015 · 196 posts · 58 votes
10y
I live a block from downtown WC and absolutely love being walking distance to everything, but it's not worth the price tags. A 2BR/1BA detached SFH around 1,000sf with single car garage just sold about 10 houses down from me for $900k. I mean wtf. Seriously. I'm focusing my attention toward Brentwood and Oakley personally.