Termite lesson - recommendations on a pest company in Sacramento?

Termite lesson - recommendations on a pest company in Sacramento?

Investor · Sacramento, CA · Member since 2012 · 289 posts · 151 votes

I learned my lesson in not taking chances with termite evidence. 

I bought a property in November where the inspection showed evidence of drywood termites. We got a seller credit towards treating the issue at closing, but figured we'd play it by ear before springing for the cost of tenting.

During remodel we found more evidence of termites extending up from the foundation, but the rehab exposed all the affected area in the main house. I chipped away at any soft wood and found no actual termites. The one caveat was a small addition to the house that also showed evidence, but the crawl space was not accessible to inspect. This area was not rehabbed, but the siding needs to get replaced there, so I figured I'd inspect it when I did that project. Unfortunately the rain came before I got to that, and my friends wanted to move in before Christmas, so residing got delayed. In the end, we decided not to tent, knowing there was risk the termites could still be active in the addition, or could have fully migrated to another location, but I felt okay with a 90% inspection.

Well, I lost on that gamble. It turns out the termites were active in the addition, and are suddenly in full on exploration mode. In one night they burrowed through the drywall in multiple locations of a corner of the addition. We suspect it has to do with the tenants getting an Orkin treatment, which possibly led the termites to decide it was time to find a better home.

So now I will need to call in the professionals. Even if we take all the siding off the addition and see evidence of just a local infestation, I assume we'll likely tent it. Who knows where the little buggers could have spread out to now.

Any recommendations on a good local company?

0Reply
26 views

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Cupertino, CA · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    Just about any property in CA has termites. The more you look you more ants you find.  Fumigation is not a big deal cost ~ $2500 to tent it.  After tenting it takes only one queen and a stud start another colony often at same place. I have seen as quick as 30 days they come back.

    You can shop around Craigslist check their reviews.  

    I have never see a structure collapse due to ant chewing wood. In CU, CA I see one condo complex even carports have evidence of past termite infestation. All units sold quickly regardless and they sell over $1,150,000.00 for a 2 br, 1 bath. Most sellers will not pay a penny because it has termites or no termites. The pest control company over exaggerate on the impact because they want your money.

    For home purchase I prefer stucco wall, slab to avoid exposure. 

  • Homeowner · Sacramento, CA · Member since 2010 · 52 posts · 8 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Sam Shueh:

    Hi Sam, would you elaborate:

    "I have never see a structure collapse due to ant chewing wood. In CU, CA I see one condo complex even carports have evidence of past termite infestation. All units sold quickly regardless and they sell over $1,150,000.00 for a 2 br, 1 bath. Most sellers will not pay a penny because it has termites or no termites. The pest control company over exaggerate on the impact because they want your money."

    Do you mean most buyers don't care if there is evidence of termite?

    Is that due to the current competitive sellers' market, buyers are happy to secure a deal termite or no termite? Or are you saying termites in CA don't do much damage?

    I agree with stucco.

  • Real Estate Agent · Cupertino, CA · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    Even if you tent the place there is enough wood ingested then what?  The next inspector comes along will write you up for past evidence of termite damage. Fumigation will get to those surface ants exposed to gas.  How do you know you do not have sub ants?

  • Lender · Roseville, CA · Member since 2011 · 205 posts · 86 votes
    9y

    @Derek Daun - Finley Home Services is locally owned and operated.  Mostly good feedback from clients who've used them.  http://finleyhomeservices.com/

    I've also heard good things about http://www.natpc.com/  

  • Attorney · Sacramento, CA · Member since 2014 · 300 posts · 172 votes
    9y

    I've used Fast Action Pest Control numerous times. 

  • Investor · Hanford CA · Member since 2016 · 77 posts · 11 votes
    9y

    I'm dealing with somewhat of the same situation.  They found both subterranean and dry wood termites during inspection, at least evidence of, but no actual termites.  The seller is agreeing to split the cost of the soil treatment and tent.  I dont want to have this kill the deal, but I'm not going to lie.  It scares me to think about the inaccessible structure. 

  • Rod StanbackBusiness Member
    Lender · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2014 · 92 posts · 45 votes
    9y

    Hi @Derek Daun,

    I frequently work with Pinnacle Pest control here in Sacramento. I know the owner Jim very well and he'll be more than happy to assist at a reasonable cost and quickly. 

    Click the following link: Pinnacle Pest Control

    I'm also local to the area, let's meetup and discuss REI sometime!

  • Developer · Sacramento, CA · Member since 2016 · 464 posts · 143 votes
    8y

    pro active pest control is great but they require annual contracts

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.