Negotiating Quick Tips

Negotiating Quick Tips

Owen DashnerPro Member
Lender · Omaha, NE · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes

This past week was a pretty good week for my real estate business in getting several new houses under contract.  Each seller's situation was different, and each person had a different personality type, negotiating style and level of motivation.  It got me thinking about the nuances of negotiating with people in general, and I thought it might be cool to hear some quick tips from others that have been useful when negotiating.  I have a few that have really worked for me over the years, here are some of them:

1. Ask, "Is that the best you can do on price (or terms or whatever you are trying to achieve)?", and then be quiet.  I have made this one a habit, not just in real estate, but in life in general and it is very powerful.  It puts the other person in a situation where they are in essence negotiating against themselves. More often than not, it results in a better price or terms.

2. I always ask, "What do you think it's worth?" when talking to a motivated seller.  This is a good one to gauge the number they would be happy with, but do not necessarily expect to get.  It is a non-threatening question, and can lead to them telling you a lot more details about their opinion of value based on their motivation, how realistic they are about the condition of the house vs. comps, whether or not a family member or friend has an influence on them, etc.

3. After asking the above question, follow it up with, "What would you take for it?".  These questions seem like they should have exactly the same answer, but they almost never do.  However they answer this question, you are now much closer to the real number.  

4. Always talk about the seller's different options to get the house sold, and the pros and cons of each.  Depending on how the conversation is going, I normally begin by asking them if they have considered listing the house with an agent, letting them know that it is still a sellers market, etc.  In general, I try to steer them away from doing business with me, because if they are really motivated, they will sell me on why they want me to buy it instead of the other way around.  "I don't have time to wait for the house to sit on the market".  "I don't like Realtors".  "I can't afford to pay commissions and closing costs".  "I guess I thought that with the condition of the house, I couldn't sell through a Realtor".  "I don't want my nosy neighbors going through my house".  Any of these responses are helpful to determine the best approach to help them, and their motivation level. 

5. Make sure to explain to them that there is always the option to list the property "as-is" with a Realtor, with "no repairs or reports to seller".  It amazes me how many people don't realize this.  They think that in order to list their house for sale, it has to be in updated condition with all the needed repairs completed because that's what their friend/dad/neighbor told them. Explaining this is huge in establishing credibility and trust.  They may or may not end up doing business with you, but you are going to establish yourself as someone who cares about their situation and this is huge for your reputation and referral flow.

These are some that I use regularly, what are some of your best negotiating quick tips? 

3Reply
18 views

Most Popular Reply

Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
Moderator
Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
7y

@Owen Dashner these are some good tips. There are certain people, like Grant Cardone, that can talk non-stop and it actually benefits them in negotiating because they can basically sell ice cubes to an Eskimo. For most of us, I think it's better to spend our time listening and finding out what the seller really needs/wants and then finding ways to help them.

The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

12 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    7y

    @Owen Dashner these are some good tips. There are certain people, like Grant Cardone, that can talk non-stop and it actually benefits them in negotiating because they can basically sell ice cubes to an Eskimo. For most of us, I think it's better to spend our time listening and finding out what the seller really needs/wants and then finding ways to help them.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Owen DashnerPro Member
    OP
    Lender · Omaha, NE · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    @Nathan Gesner, I totally agree.  It always works better for me to ask questions and find out more about motivations and pain points than to try and just assume that I know how to solve their problems.

  • Rental Property Investor · Knoxville, TN · Member since 2017 · 147 posts · 65 votes
    7y

    I love asking question number 2.  It creates a no pressure situation and it is going to get you a better response than "What do you want for it."

  • Ellis HammondPro Member
    Investor · Leawood, KS · Member since 2017 · 178 posts · 108 votes
    7y
    @Owen Dashner Great thoughts. Your “what” questions are really key and a great takeaway I use from the book never split the difference. I’ve found that the best negotiators are those who first listen well and second aren’t afraid to start with an uncomfortably low offer at first. The book above calls this an “extreme anchor.” I’ve used it, it works!
  • Owen DashnerPro Member
    OP
    Lender · Omaha, NE · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    Thanks Ellis! I was also really hoping this post would get more traction and have some good tips/comments from others with some quick hit negotiating tactics, but maybe it ain't gonna happen...

  • Rental Property Investor · Erie, PA · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    7y

    @Owen Dashner

    Boldness and being assertive are great traits .the ability to walk into a room confident and willing to explain with gusto goes along way . I think of all the dates I missed out on in my youth simply because I was shy . The bold tend to win in business and in their personal lives .

  • Fort Polk, LA · Member since 2018 · 41 posts · 47 votes
    7y
    @Owen Dashner Chris Voss author of Never Split the Difference is a better negotiation teacher than Grant Cardone. He was the FBIs lead hostage negotiator. He's big on asking questions, and one of the things I remember when I think an offer is unreasonable, say "how can I do that?", it's used as a no, that the offer is not agreeable, and then makes the other guy think about making the deal work. His email list is also worth reading and YouTube is great.
  • Real Estate Broker · Chicago, IL · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    Super #1 book for negotiation strategies: https://www.amazon.com/Never-Split-Difference-Nego...

    Some people need to be pushed. Others need to be heard. In real estate, we need to get to the seller's motivation - why do they need to sell the house, and keep reminding them of that and tying everything back to that.

  • Owen DashnerPro Member
    OP
    Lender · Omaha, NE · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    @Dan Robbins Yes, that is my favorite book for negotiating as well. I had forgotten about the "How can I do that?" response. Great tip!
  • Corby GoadeBusiness Member
    Investor · Boise, ID · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y

    Great stuff here, thanks for taking the time to share!

  • Rental Property Investor · South shore, MA · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    negotiating has really been the bread and butter for me. Without it, none of my deals would have been deals to begin with. I got both properties for well under asking price (MLS listings) in a really hot market. I don't have the experience to find off market deals yet so I had to really work the sellers down. A couple things I did, as mentioned above, was find out the story behind the sale of the property and use it to my advantage. And I also provided data whether it be estimates for the work needed, or previous comps sale prices. I wanted to convince the seller that my top price would be the best they will get, and it would make the most sense to accept it right away.

  • Rental Property Investor · Smyrna, GA · Member since 2018 · 974 posts · 645 votes
    7y

    A key thread throughout all the answers here is that in negotiating you are selling. Even if you are buying... You are selling. Selling your ideas, expertise, passion, etc. I have worked in sales and negotiation and the best in both are those that listen. Those that have the humility to ask a genuine question and truly be interested in what the other person is saying. That genuineness creates trust and trust breaks down lots of barriers.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.