Do you set goals or listen to motivationals regularly?

Do you set goals or listen to motivationals regularly?

Private Money Lender · OK · Member since 2010 · 163 posts · 32 votes

Sorry, I just noticed I typoed motivationals in the title of the thread..

Hi! So I listened to a webinar guru guy a few weeks ago, one of his freebies. I have already studied a lot of the approaches he had mentioned, but he did say one line in his webinar that has pretty much changed my life in a manner of speaking. He stated that everyday he listened to some type of motivational speaker or something motivational whether it be Zig Ziglar, Tony Robbins or whoever or whatever. Now I've never been the type of person to listen to if it's not either music or educational but I decided to give it a go.

My first person was Zig Ziglar. I listened to him talk and immediately drew on the energy that he emitted in his speech. His words of encouragement really moved me to look hard at myself and others. After that was Dale Carnegie and then Napoleon Hill. After that I was making sure to listen to at least one of them on a daily basis on the way to work or home as well as read Proverbs or some type of scripture. I think Napoleon Hills words have been the most groundbreaking, though all of them have helped me in my way of speech and mentality towards other people and even to myself.

Another important aspect they taught me was putting my goals down on paper. As Zig Ziglar states, "You don't want to be a wandering generality, but be a meaningful specific" and "failure is the path of least resistance. Success happens when opportunity meets preparation." They spoke of the importance of putting my goals down on paper otherwise I just have jumbled ideas without any substance. Now I have my short term and long term goals written down. I have also since listened to a time management piece and have a schedule for every hour of my day which falls in line with helping me to achieve my goals. I think this has been one of the most important aspects of my life. I have since surrounded these men as my council (sounds funny huh) and even find solace in Napoleon Hill's idea of more men such as Edison and Lincoln and the likes so as to draw upon their most meaningful qualities. I think their talks have been the biggest reason for my success, though not yet in the physical, it has become so real it is solidified in my mind and inevitable to me. It is pretty much so real in my mind it exists already. I study daily in connection with my launch date goal and the fear of rejection or failure for me does not have one shred of existence for me as I know my success is inevitable. It's reality isn't empty words I speak hoping that my mentality falls in line with the spoken but the other way around and spoken with authority and not hope in what I have become certain of.

I can say with confidence that this state of mind would not have been possible without these great men who I have surrounded myself with and who helped me to believe i myself. They helped me to see that no one here or anyone we have ever heard of possessed any great power that made them able to achieve what others could not. The apostles clearly stated that God is not a God of favoritism. So therefore I know I have the same ability to succeed as anyone else, it's just a matter of how bad I want it. Since I know I want it, and know I will achieve it, then I know for a fact I will have it soon enough.

Funny, I got the most life changing advice as this from a Real Estate guru, and to me the highlight of that webinar was that one line.

Michael

0Reply
55 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Investor · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
16y

I find RE so exciting and fun that I have a hard time going to sleep. I cannot imagine needing books and tapes to keep me motivated. I also cannot imagine being in a business that requires me to have outside assistance to stay motivated.

Do something that you enjoy so much that you do not need help to be motivated.

See this reply in the discussion

25 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2009 · 118 posts · 76 votes
    16y

    I liked reading Harmonic Wealth by James Arthur Ray. He encourages writing specific goals and anti-goals every month in 5 different areas of life: spiritual, relational, physical, mental, and financial. By focusing on all 5 pillars, you will find balance, or harmony in life. And this harmony is really what life is about most!

    Something that has worked for me is dedicating a dry erase board for goals and updating every month.

    Good luck!

  • Mobile Home Investor · Spanaway, WA · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 578 votes
    16y

    It's amazing that following a few simple ideas can really have a dramatic effect on your outlook on life. When first settlers came to America they could not carry much so had to bring the best. Most had a Bible and others had Greek philosophers. Whatever, we need our country to get back to these basic building blocks!

  • Private Money Lender · OK · Member since 2010 · 163 posts · 32 votes
    16y
    Originally posted by Tom Bukacek:
    Something that has worked for me is dedicating a dry erase board for goals and updating every month!


    That's a great idea, I think i'll have to utilize it!

    Originally posted by Realtyman:
    It's amazing that following a few simple ideas can really have a dramatic effect on your outlook on life. When first settlers came to America they could not carry much so had to bring the best. Most had a Bible and others had Greek philosophers. Whatever, we need our country to get back to these basic building blocks!


    You know, to illustrate a point Zig Ziglar pointed to a study done in a factory or some type of company structure. The factory worker when asked stated they watched about 20 hours of t.v. a week. The foreman watched 17. The supervisor watch 12-15. The manager watched 8-10. The project managers watched 6-8, the vice president watched 3-5 and the president watched only 1-2 hours of t.v. a week.

    I think his point was well taken in that whatever we apply ourselves to will determine how far we will make it in that industry.

    The President of JCPenny once stated,"Give me a stockclerk with a dream and I'll give you someone who will change the world somehow, but give me a person without a dream...and I'll give you a stockclerk."


  • Mobile Home Investor · Spanaway, WA · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 578 votes
    16y

    That is a very good point to make - if more people would turn off the TV and get out of the couch potato position there would not be so many hands stuck out for "free" government assistance!

  • Real Estate Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2009 · 120 posts · 13 votes
    16y

    You can find some great motivational CD's at Half Price Books. I found a pack of 4 discs, with 4 different speakers; one being Zig Ziglar. It cost me a total of $8.

    Take the example about the amount of tv you watch, and apply it to the amount of radio you listen to. Dedicate your driving time to listening to motivational CDs, instead of flipping around bad radio stations.

  • Real Estate Investor · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    16y

    I find RE so exciting and fun that I have a hard time going to sleep. I cannot imagine needing books and tapes to keep me motivated. I also cannot imagine being in a business that requires me to have outside assistance to stay motivated.

    Do something that you enjoy so much that you do not need help to be motivated.

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Orange County, CA · Member since 2009 · 289 posts · 95 votes
    16y

    I used to listen to that motivational stuff but to be honest, I lost interest. Now I listen to real estate related podcasts and books. That keeps me plenty motivated, plus I'm both re-enforcing old ideas and learning new ones.

  • Real Estate Investor · OH · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    16y

    Well, now that you've got all hyped up on motivational mumbo-jumbo, the real question is whether you've made any money? It's a lot easier to buy into the hype than actually become successful!

  • Pleasant Hill, CA · Member since 2008 · 428 posts · 43 votes
    16y

    I write my weekly and daily goals on a white board in my office. I have laminated monthly and yearly goals posted on my wall too.

    Educational CDs whenever I'm in the car...

    I've found a great template for goal setting on the Tim Ferris Blog. Google him and read his book too.

  • Real Estate Investor · OH · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    16y

    OK, so many of the posters on this thread have written yearly, monthly, daily, hourly, and goals for every minute. The question remains - HAVE YOU ACCOMPLISHED ANYTHING? Have you gotten out of the rat race by meeting those goals? Have you made enough money to retire? Are you meeting those goals or just writing goals?

  • Real Estate Investor · Portage, MI · Member since 2010 · 470 posts · 315 votes
    16y

    I agree with Vikram. You need a passion for what you do to be successful. If you need to have motivational materials to keep your interest and drive, it may be time for a new venture. As for as goals go....I basically make a plan. I guess you can call it a goal, but it is really more of a plan so that I can make adjustments if things are not going as I had planned. My goal is basic...do the best that I can with any venture that I take on!

  • Real Estate Investor · Fishers, IN · Member since 2009 · 408 posts · 196 votes
    16y

    Some great suggestions and examples on here. Thanks for the $8 half price idea Christie.

    To answer MikeOH, I can personally say I have visual goals posted all over my house and between my fiance and I, we have accomplished 18 of the 20 goals we set to accomplish in 1 year, and that was 9 months ago. We are working on #19 and #20 right now, and we will be sitting down in Bora Bora in two months to set new goals together!!

  • Homeowner · Burleson, TX · Member since 2008 · 756 posts · 376 votes
    16y

    I downloaded a lot of Jim Rohn's speeches on my mp3 player. I don't listen to the player everyday but I do when I stumped or had a tough day. And yes I have been making money while setting goals and listening to his speeches. I have added more units to my rental portfolio this year with more yet to come.

  • Real Estate Investor · the villages, FL · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    16y

    I do not listen to motivationals, but I do set goals and always have. Yes, to MikeOh, I have accomplished most of them. They are financial, health, travel etc.
    They are also very specific. I wish I knew how to scan and post a copy of specific goals I set for getting to $10,000 per month net. I still have the goal sheet and it is fun to return and look at how and what I did. It was over about a five year period and I was doing it as an example for my kids to follow.
    I still set goals, but not as many financially. They are:

    health- stay under 162 pounds- down
    from an alltime high of 362 pounds.

    travel- hit all 7 continents and visit 100 countries. I should finish this in 2011.

    At this point, the financial isn't as important and is somewhat on auto pilot except for new projects! Rich

    p.s. You can get good motivation on here from folks like Vikram and Jon Klaus as well as others.

  • Lender · Fort Pierce, FL · Member since 2009 · 825 posts · 486 votes
    16y

    Goals are dreams with deadlines.

  • Real Estate Investor · Portage, MI · Member since 2010 · 470 posts · 315 votes
    16y
    Originally posted by Rich Weese:
    I do not listen to motivationals, but I do set goals and always have. Yes, to MikeOh, I have accomplished most of them. They are financial, health, travel etc.
    They are also very specific. I wish I knew how to scan and post a copy of specific goals I set for getting to $10,000 per month net. I still have the goal sheet and it is fun to return and look at how and what I did. It was over about a five year period and I was doing it as an example for my kids to follow.
    I still set goals, but not as many financially. They are:

    health- stay under 162 pounds- down
    from an alltime high of 362 pounds.

    travel- hit all 7 continents and visit 100 countries. I should finish this in 2011.

    At this point, the financial isn't as important and is somewhat on auto pilot except for new projects! Rich

    p.s. You can get good motivation on here from folks like Vikram and Jon Klaus as well as others.


    Rich, this is the best think I've heard on BP yet! If I could, I'd have voted for your post two times!
    Bill

    p.s. - Congratulations on the weight loss!!

  • Landlord · Seattle, WA · Member since 2010 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    16y

    I don't read or listen to motivational materials. I've been excited about RE for many years. I have to agree with what several have said that having a passion for RE is all the motivation you need.

    I set goals, long term mid term and short term. By setting short term goals my mid term and long term goals become more reachable because I am constantly doing what is necessary to get there.

    I also use management tools like budgets to insure that I'm staying on target financially as well.

  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    16y

    I never read a motivational book in my life! I'm an old jock and competition comes naturally, and what I wasn't born with the Army instilled the remaining motivavtional factors for me. Not to say that a good book doesn't get the kick in the seat it sometimes takes.

    Passion helps, no matter what you do, if you love doing it, chances are you'll be better at it than those who don't.

    One last tip, to be more successful, lower your expectations! (LOL) Bill

  • Private Money Lender · OK · Member since 2010 · 163 posts · 32 votes
    16y
    Originally posted by MikeOH:
    OK, so many of the posters on this thread have written yearly, monthly, daily, hourly, and goals for every minute. The question remains - HAVE YOU ACCOMPLISHED ANYTHING? Have you gotten out of the rat race by meeting those goals? Have you made enough money to retire? Are you meeting those goals or just writing goals?


    I understand what your saying. You made it pretty crystal clear. Am I writting or doing. Well as much as I'd just love instant business just add water, it doesn't quite work like that. What I have done is established my LLC, created a buyer webpage, created social marketing pages, bought ads, bought a new webcam for video blogs and added Wordpress for written blogs to drive traffic to my site, and setup all my business numbers/fax for marketing.

    I suppose I could just start putting out all my signs and direct mail without the buyers list I am looking for, but I guess I kind of want to have my business in line with the business plan I set up for it. So no, I guess I have done nothing that has created any capital so far.

    I listen to motivationals along with RE pods etc. Do I need the motivational to keep going? No, I don't. I know what I'm capable of in life and I really wouldn't care if anyone else thought I was a failure. I never have before. The motivationals are just a 5 hour energy shot sometimes: I can get along and accomplish the same thing without it, but I sure feel good with it.

    To be honest, it really doesn't matter if some people did set goals and fail while trying to accomplish them. As long as they get back up and try again then they really haven't failed. You think aside from a couple of questions on here I've had anybody at all show me how to market or get anywhere? Nope. I've gotten my entire education through Google, articles, and podcast. I've read so many articles and books on marketing my brain feels like jelly (and yes I'm not just reading and talking I'm instituting what I've learned).

    So in answer to your question no I've made no money, but I'm not just talking either.

  • Landlord · Seattle, WA · Member since 2010 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    16y

    Sounds like you are doing some of the right things. You may want out what is working for others and implement what you can.

  • Real Estate Investor · the villages, FL · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    16y

    Thanks for the props Realtyman. Rich

  • Real Estate Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2009 · 178 posts · 62 votes
    16y

    Visualizing motivates me:

    I only sleep about 4 or 5 hours a night, though every night before I go to sleep , I visualize myself doing something I really want to do or achieve. It really works. I am a bit of a dreamer and have always sought to achieve things I was not supposed to be able to do. Part of this was me lying in bed thinking what I want to be doing. In college, for an entire year, I visualized myself receiving a specific competitive scholarship award and everyone at the conference cheering for me as I accepted my check. It took me 2 years but I finally won it.

    I used to do a specific visualization that I would be thinking about myself pretending that I was taking prospective buyers and their real estate agent through my fully rehabbed, for sale property, and them saying that they love it and want to deliver a contract that day. That one came true as well over and over again.

    I am visualizing bigger things now. Lots of things going on right now including a new day job - lots of new things to want an visualize.

    A lot of times I also visualize smaller specific things like how I would like this rehab I am just starting to look... I like visualizing end buyers saying "wow!"... theres nothing like the feeling of someone really thinking your rehab is a "wow house"... or a recent visualization is seeing a for sale sign on the front lawn before the deep Chicago snow reappears for the next 2/3rds of the year....

  • Homeowner · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2010 · 123 posts · 66 votes
    16y

    Good thread. Like Vic L. I visualize more so than write my goals down. I believe it is important to set goals and I always have which has gotten me far. Not out of the rat race but I'm still working towards that.

    I have listened to motivational/instructional CDs in the past and just bought a new one that was recommended by Kevin K.

    There is absolutely nothing wrong with needing an inspirational word to drive you forward.

  • Real Estate Investor · Hartville, OH · Member since 2010 · 148 posts · 174 votes
    16y

    I think in order to be successful in anything you have to have a deep and internal burning desire to achieve that goal.

    For me it comes from growing up very, very poor in rural West Virginia. A lot of people say they grew up poor but when I tell them some of my stories they tend to change their perspective.

    At a very young age, probably around the time I was 12 or 13 years old I made a personal promise to myself that I would never be poor. From that time on almost every major decision I made was in relationship to that goal.

    I didn't write it down, I didn't listen to some guru on a CD, I didn't read it in a book.

  • Real Estate Investor · Portage, MI · Member since 2010 · 470 posts · 315 votes
    16y
    Originally posted by JoeinOH:
    I think in order to be successful in anything you have to have a deep and internal burning desire to achieve that goal.

    For me it comes from growing up very, very poor in rural West Virginia. A lot of people say they grew up poor but when I tell them some of my stories they tend to change their perspective.

    At a very young age, probably around the time I was 12 or 13 years old I made a personal promise to myself that I would never be poor. From that time on almost every major decision I made was in relationship to that goal.

    I didn't write it down, I didn't listen to some guru on a CD, I didn't read it in a book.

    Don't forget to take time for life, Joe! Work hard...Play hard!

    Bill

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.