Top 3 questions you want answered on a potential market.

Top 3 questions you want answered on a potential market.

Real Estate Agent · Kitchener-Waterloo-Cambridge, Ontario · Member since 2013 · 408 posts · 90 votes

Hey BP community I have been asking around at some investor meetings trying to find a pattern in the initial thought process when choosing a market,I have obtained some great info here in Ontario Canada. I would like to gather some more data and see what it is like from coast to coast.

I like to ask what the top 3 questions they would like answered about a market before choosing to invest there, I have begun to see a pattern and would like to pose the same question here.

So please let me know what you think!

0Reply
8 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Stouffville, Ontario · Member since 2011 · 213 posts · 65 votes
10y

I came up with three question a few years ago when I was buying a lot of my properties. You can expand on each one. 

1. How are you going to buy this property?

2. How can you add value to this property?

3. How can you sell this property? 

My clients love these questions, they are easy to remember. The last one is the most important as it deals with location.  Hope this helps. 

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Stouffville, Ontario · Member since 2011 · 213 posts · 65 votes
    10y

    I came up with three question a few years ago when I was buying a lot of my properties. You can expand on each one. 

    1. How are you going to buy this property?

    2. How can you add value to this property?

    3. How can you sell this property? 

    My clients love these questions, they are easy to remember. The last one is the most important as it deals with location.  Hope this helps. 

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    10y

    depends on what type of investing you want to do...

    if its Vanilla anyone can do it buy and hold SFR's

    1. Jobs

    2. tenant friendly or not

    3. PM quality good quality bad

    If your looking to flip retail

    1. Jobs

    2. Days on market

    3. Can I get a bullet proof contractor

    If your looking to develop housing

    1. Jobs

    2. how tough is the jurisdiction on permiting and platting

    3. Can I get quality GC and Subs/  Days on Market

    Commerical

    1. Jobs

    2. vacancy rates

    3. future does it look bright or are you at the top

    MHP

    1. Jobs

    2. quality of park and tenants

    3. rent control

    So on and so forth

  • Real Estate Agent · Kitchener-Waterloo-Cambridge, Ontario · Member since 2013 · 408 posts · 90 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs:

    depends on what type of investing you want to do...

    if its Vanilla anyone can do it buy and hold SFR's

    1. Jobs

    2. tenant friendly or not

    3. PM quality good quality bad

    If your looking to flip retail

    1. Jobs

    2. Days on market

    3. Can I get a bullet proof contractor

    If your looking to develop housing

    1. Jobs

    2. how tough is the jurisdiction on permiting and platting

    3. Can I get quality GC and Subs/  Days on Market

    Commerical

    1. Jobs

    2. vacancy rates

    3. future does it look bright or are you at the top

    MHP

    1. Jobs

    2. quality of park and tenants

    3. rent control

    So on and so forth

    Hey Jay would you say that your commercial question would double as Multi family questions?

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    10y

    Multi is jobs ,  class of property,, competition for tenant base, and the all important PM  at least in my mind.. I am not a rental guy but I have sold a bunch of apartments and that's what my buyers look for... I look for value add and the big hits for my personal investing.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.