Got toys?

Got toys?

Investor · Laurel, MD · Member since 2012 · 149 posts · 33 votes

I don't know why all the car-related threads end up in Investor Psychology. Let's assume it has to do with how people motivate themselves. :-)

The "what kind of car do you drive" thread is great, but I have a hard time believing that everyone here drives a Camry they inherited from their parents or an 11 year-old F-150 that they bought with cash. I know you guys are a modest bunch, but some people like @Jay Hinrichs and @Matt Ferguson are proud of their Cirrus and Diablo, respectively. Given my own modest financial situation, I love to see examples of others' success - it's not boasting, it's inspiration!

For forget Camrys, let's see some toys - cars, planes, bikes, killer home theater systems, cellars filled with cases of '63 bordeaux (I'm making stuff up at this point) or anything else that makes you feel a little guilty and your buddies green with envy. :-)

2Reply
23 views

Most Popular Reply

Bedford, NH · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
11y

Trophy wife.  Not posting a picture, though.

See this reply in the discussion

17 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Willoughby, OH · Member since 2014 · 560 posts · 690 votes
    11y

    I have one liability that keeps me sane. I am big into boating. We only have about 4-5 months of good weather during summer so this toy only consumes my time and money about half of the year.

  • Investor · Laurel, MD · Member since 2012 · 149 posts · 33 votes
    11y

    @Jeff Brower  - that's what I'm talking about, nice boat!

  • Investor · Howey in the Hills, FL · Member since 2015 · 24 posts · 18 votes
    11y

    This was my toy I sold to add to the REI fund. It appreciated and continues to do so. Had her for two years. I can't buy one back for what I paid for this one but I could scratch it off my dream car bucket list.

  • Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2013 · 252 posts · 92 votes
    11y

    @Leonid Sapronov

    Be Jealous everyone.  Honestly though... If I lived like everyone else, and bought the big toys i actually wanted, I wouldn't have been able to get into real estate investing.  Through investing you too can own a small 15 year old jon boat with a 2 stroke motor.  :)

  • Investor · Laurel, MD · Member since 2012 · 149 posts · 33 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Ryan Rupnarain:

    This was my toy I sold to add to the REI fund. It appreciated and continues to do so. Had her for two years. I can't buy one back for what I paid for this one but I could scratch it off my dream car bucket list.

     Love it. One of my favorite sports cars of all time. Looks like you did some tweaks to it?

  • Investor · Laurel, MD · Member since 2012 · 149 posts · 33 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Adam Drummond:

    @Leonid Sapronov

    Be Jealous everyone.  Honestly though... If I lived like everyone else, and bought the big toys i actually wanted, I wouldn't have been able to get into real estate investing.  Through investing you too can own a small 15 year old jon boat with a 2 stroke motor.  :)

     So what this tells us is we can define three groups of people:

    1) Those who buy toys first and never have money to invest

    2) Those who invest, but haven't yet made enough to buy the toys

    3) Those who've arrived and can finally buy all the toys afters years of pain and sacrifice

    Sounds like you are well on your way to #3 ;-)

  • Bedford, NH · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    Trophy wife.  Not posting a picture, though.

  • Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2013 · 252 posts · 92 votes
    11y

    @Leonid Sapronov

    Ha... I sure hope so.  I live near 3 beautiful lakes, and I really want a deck boat for me and my family.  The last two years I almost pulled the trigger and bought one, but then I realize how much return I could get on a flip or rental for the same amount.  So, that is how i ended up with a $2,500 jon boat.  LoL

  • Investor/Accountant/Builder · Meno, OK · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 918 votes
    11y

    the vacation home/rental

  • Investor · Kaneohe, HI · Member since 2012 · 218 posts · 104 votes
    11y

    @Leonid Sapronov

     I am in a different category from your 3.  I am not financially set yet, but I believe in balance so my plan is every time I buy a property I can reward myself and buy a car. Though the property has to be over $500k and cashflow or else I would be buying a bunch of $50k properties and have more cars than garage space lol.

  • Real Estate Broker · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    11y

    I love the old NSX great cars. Followed the thread. I had 2 motorcycles. 

    This was my pride and joy. This picture is before mods. I had a Hayabusa front end on it, drilled and slotted R1 rotors, 6 Piston calipers, Stainless steel lines, updated clutch, titanium race exhaust, digital gauges, Escort Redline radar detector, and frame braces. 

    I did an 800 mile long road trip with my brother riding my other bike a 1985 Yamaha Maxim X. The 400 miles way home was in the worst rain I have ever seen lol. But it is a memory he will have for life. Kind of cool to have your older brother gush about the trip you took him on years later. 

    I got out of bikes when I got married as it just wasn't financially sound at the time. I was commuting which kind of took the fun out of it. I am however planning on getting a BMW S1000RR within the next year. I'll ride strictly for fun during the day while normal people have to work LOL. 

  • Investor · Howey in the Hills, FL · Member since 2015 · 24 posts · 18 votes
    11y

    @Leonid Sapronov, yes I made a few subtle modifications to it. Honestly I feel sad for a few seconds when I look back and the pictures and remember the driving experience then I remember why I let her go and the importance of sticking to your goals.

    @Ryan DosseyThey're awesome.

  • Investor · Cedar Bluff, AL · Member since 2015 · 83 posts · 17 votes
    11y

    Retired my 2005 Ram for this.  2014 Silverado 1500 LTZ bought it with 10k miles on it.

  • Linda WeygantPro Member
    Investor and CPA · Arvada, CO · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    11y

    Funny thing about this toy - I bought it like I buy my houses.  It's an 87 and I paid $800 for it.  

  • Investor · Rosebud, AR · Member since 2014 · 133 posts · 49 votes
    11y
    Someplace to put all my tools
  • Investor · Laurel, MD · Member since 2012 · 149 posts · 33 votes
    11y

    @Arlan Potter - beautiful!

    @Ryan Dossey  - awesome story

    @Linda Weygant - I almost got one! Ended up with an '87 Interceptor instead.

  • Investor · Wilmington, NC · Member since 2016 · 11 posts · 9 votes
    10y

    My stress release...bought it when I graduated high school, pulled the motor within a year with dreams and aspirations (too many budweisers) of making it "faster and so cool!!"....reality set in and it sat for 10 years in different places - Mom and Dads garage, storage units and whatnot.  Then worked on it for the last 5 years here and there.  Finally got it back running in April of 15. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.