Rehabbing a Rental Unit in LA/Long Beach- Contractor question

Rehabbing a Rental Unit in LA/Long Beach- Contractor question

Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2015 · 8 posts · 0 votes

Hello All- Thank you all in advance for looking at this email. I had a general question for the group re: rehabbing a rental unit in Los Angeles/Long Beach area.  I am currently looking into renovating a rental unit in Long Beach.  Does anyone have a licensed contractor they would recommend that is reasonably priced? I had to pull a permit on a kitchen remodel (like for like), but now I think I have to go the licensed contractor route?  But that's $$$$....(Kitchen remodel quote was $45K and bathroom was $17K...crazy priced for a rental)...Looking for any reco for reasonable licensed contractor rates?  Thanks so much in advance!

0Reply
19 views

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2017 · 271 posts · 259 votes
    5y

    Yeah that’s a lot for a rental. We can do a full rehab for $62k.

    Can you get away with doing less of a rehab since it’s a rental? For example, keep plumbing and electrical in the same place and replace flooring, cabinets, countertops, fixtures and appliances?


    I’m not in LA but you can typically do basic replacements without needing a permit unless you start removing a wall or moving electrical or plumbing. 

  • Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2016 · 72 posts · 55 votes
    5y

    Hi Jennifer, try going on Next Door and ask for recommendations. Also please look at your rehab numbers and scope and try to work on a cosmetic rehab as opposed to something too crazy and deep. Tenants want clean, light and bright and safe.

  • Rental Property Investor · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2016 · 553 posts · 314 votes
    5y

    I'll send you a message with a guy's contact info in a minute, but expect to spend somewhere between $50,000 and $80,000 for a gut remodel depending on HVAC and moving walls. You will need a permit for this sort of work. You can pull the permit yourself and use an unlicensed contractor but that is a risky game. A licensed contractor with worker's comp, liability insurance and a $15,000 bond is a better bet.

  • Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2015 · 8 posts · 0 votes
    5y

    Hi All- thanks so much for your tips...really appreciate it! I think i'm getting a little progress...i'm actually hoping to talk to more of a licensed handyman who does rental rehabbing and know these guys charge significantly less than the licensed contractor who does more residential and luxury apartments from the ground up....If anyone knows of any licensed handyman who does rental turns, that would be great...I have one person I plan to reach out to...Thank you all again

    Jen

  • Investor · Member since 2020 · 23 posts · 8 votes
    5y

    @Jennifer Stein I'm undergoing a rehab on one of my units right now and am using https://www.turnaroundsolutions.com  

    I'd recommend them

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.