Building Prefab/Mobile Home in Topanga Canyon/Malibu/Etc?......

Building Prefab/Mobile Home in Topanga Canyon/Malibu/Etc?......

Investor · Topanga Cyn, CA · Member since 2015 · 26 posts · 3 votes

 Hey Guys, My name is Conor I was born and raised in TopangaCanyon and I'm very interested in buying land in the Topanga Canyon, Malibu, or Woodland Hills areas, and I'm interested in finding somebody that has experience buying land and or building mobile and prefab structures in these areas. I'm wondering if anybody knows what the rules are for mobile and prefab structures on land in these areas. Also what is the exact zone for coastal commission is it 6 miles from the beach? Do I need permits if I bring in a mobile home or similar semi mobile structure? I know certain mobile structures are allowed to be used for a single family home but what's the exact guidelines and who can verify this information or give me a list of all the rules and permits required for different types of mobile and prefab structures?

 I'm also wondering if anybody knows the costs and rules for bringing in water and power to a piece of land in these areas, I know it's different for each property but is there any possible way to get estimates on bringing in water and power to a piece of land I want to purchase before actually buying the property so I can create a general budget for buikding a home. Does anyone know who would I contact about getting quotes for brining in water and power and most importantly if anybody knows who would have true answers to these questions I would really appreciate it if you could give me their contact info.

 Any other info you guys might have on buying land and building prefab or mobile structures in these areas that would be so great. Feel free to contact me, thanks so much I look forward to the responses, Cheers!

Conor Colburn

0Reply
51 views

Most Popular Reply

Specialist · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2019 · 51 posts · 39 votes
5y

hey all - i have some experience with this. I've helped a few people with considering modular rebuilds in fire areas and there are some modular and manufactured companies that I work with with that have some specialization in the area. - Orbit is one.

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Contractor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y
    Call one of your architects to do the research for you, noone in BP will have all your answers, they are too specific, your architect and the building department will know the answer to those questions. your firm should be able to get quotes from builders mentioned on your profile.
  • Member since 2020 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    6y

    Hi Conor,

    My name is Ryan, I work for an Architecture firm in the LA area and am interested in buying a lot/land in the Topanga area as well. It's a bit harder to find any information on building submittals, zoning, etc. for Topanga than LA. I've seen you've posted multiple times on this site about this... did you end up getting any answers? Curious how the process was or if you've had any experience since the original posting. 

    Hope you are well,

  • Member since 2019 · 37 posts · 13 votes
    5y

    I had this idea too. I'd start by googling "malibu permit expediter" and talk to one of those companies about doing what you're doing. I'd also talk to companies that have built prefab homes in Malibu. They exist. I'd ask them about the process. Let us  know how it goes--I think it's such a cool idea. I was looking into it but I found a condo that was perfect for me, so I went with that.

  • Specialist · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2019 · 51 posts · 39 votes
    5y

    hey all - i have some experience with this. I've helped a few people with considering modular rebuilds in fire areas and there are some modular and manufactured companies that I work with with that have some specialization in the area. - Orbit is one.

  • Phoenix Los Angeles · Member since 2023 · 1 post · 0 votes
    2y

    Hi Conor, 

    Just checking in to see if you have any updates on your research. Have you ended up building anything in Topanga?

    Yotam. 


Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.