Help me structure this deal please!

Help me structure this deal please!

Dunedin, FL 路 Member since 2016 路 8 posts 路 0 votes

So, I have found a property that a guy owns free and clear. Right now, his stance is that he wants to sell the home for $79k. He is willing to hold a mortgage, but wants $20k down. ARV is in the $110-120k range. Sale also comes with an empty lot next door ($5k value) Everything needs updating, and possibly a new roof (havent seen the home yet)... obviously, based on the above info, this is not a great deal.... but, my though is, instead of using my $20k down, we find a way for me to do the rehab with that 20k, and then we sell the house, and split the profit. But the profit would have to be based on a lot lower price than the $79k.

Can anyone see a win-win in this? Anyone structured a deal like this?

0Reply
16 views

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Consultant 路 Brookfield, WI 路 Member since 2014 路 873 posts 路 350 votes
    6y

    @Aaron Chasse is not a good deal you are just excited about the ideal Seller financing a deal. 

  • Dunedin, FL 路 Member since 2016 路 8 posts 路 0 votes
    6y

    Thanks for the honesty Michael... you're correct...

  • Rental Property Investor 路 Killeen, TX 路 Member since 2020 路 13 posts 路 3 votes
    6y

    @Aaron Chasse

    What was his terms and what鈥檚 your exit strategy? Fix n flip, rental, lease option, wrap around mortgage, or contract for deed?

  • Rental Property Investor 路 Killeen, TX 路 Member since 2020 路 13 posts 路 3 votes
    6y

    @Aaron Chasse

    Based off your exit strategy I can definitely see a deal there

  • Wholesaler, Rehabber and Landlord 路 San Antonio, TX 路 Member since 2014 路 2k+ posts 路 2k+ votes
    6y

    GO SEE THE HOUSE!!!

    Talk with the person in person. Get to know them a little. Once they start to tell you all the issues with the house, they will see that the house needs more work than they thought. When I see a house I make lots of noises going through the house. Wow, that looks bad. eek. Man, how long has that been like that? sheesh. People will unconsciously pick up on that.

    I also make lots of faces when I see stuff wrong with the house. They will realize that the house is a mess and as you talk with them and let them know that you want to bring the house back to life, they WILL go down on the down payment and maybe the price. Let them know that they will get the house back in better condition if you fail with the rehab.

  • Dunedin, FL 路 Member since 2016 路 8 posts 路 0 votes
    6y

    Great replies... I did end up going to the house and it was in a lot worse than I expected.  It needed everything... literally everything.  Offered him$20k... obviously he said no. 馃檪

  • Rental Property Investor 路 East Wenatchee, WA 路 Member since 2014 路 10k+ posts 路 16k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Aaron Chasse:

    Great replies... I did end up going to the house and it was in a lot worse than I expected.  It needed everything... literally everything.  Offered him$20k... obviously he said no. 馃檪

    In this situation I like to build rapport and thank him.  When they ask if I want to make an offer I say possibly but I like you and don't want to insult you. They'll usually say go ahead and insult me.  Get permission.  

    If it's off-market and I'm the only one looking at it, I leave him hanging a day or so.  Let me think it over and put pen to paper.  Then I e-mail a letter of intent, personable and all and submit my 3 scenario offer.  No prices have zeros on the end.  Ever.  At least make the price appear like it came from your calculator.  

    $20,000 has a higher probability of being ok as $20,462.  Still a low probability but better on paper after a day of stewing after being given permission to insult them.  

    While looking for your next opportunity, learn all you can about proper seller financing that protects yourself.

  • Dunedin, FL 路 Member since 2016 路 8 posts 路 0 votes
    6y

    Great info! Thanks Steve

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.