Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
Innovative Strategies

User Stats

Votes
Justin U.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
NINA Mortages and property control

Justin U.
  • Houston, TX
Posted May 10 2020, 14:28

Hello everyone, I am seeking information on how to purchase and control a property without a job or work history. I have heard of NINA mortgages but I am not sure that that is the best route. In essence I was looking to find a property where I could put down up to 10k down payment on a mortgage ( loan ) for the property then post the property online. When the right tenant reaches out and after proper vetting I could apply the sandwich lease where I make money on the down payment and the monthly rent and lock them into a 13 month and pull residual income out of the property while saving for the next. Rinse and repeat. Is this a sound plan? What kind of Loan or mortgage could I obtain with no job history but a down payment? What pitfalls might I face? I’m in Houston TX btw

User Stats

Votes
Chris Seveney
Pro Member
#3 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Votes |
Pro Member
#3 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Replied May 10 2020, 16:01

@Justin U.

Where you getting the $ to buy a property. NINA loans are non existent at this time. Without work history you would not get financing from a traditional lender, maybe a hard money lender but with no work history or experience it will be difficult. Maybe talk to some local investors to see if you can Do work for them

User Stats

Votes
Justin U.
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
  • Houston, TX
Replied May 10 2020, 17:05

@Chris Seveney Thank you for your input, I wil certainly seek to gather some local investors. Most of what I have is savings and what I could scrape together from family members.

BiggerPockets logo
Network With Property Managers
|
BiggerPockets
Partnering with a property manager before you buy will boost your bottom line. Match and mingle with top property managers now!

User Stats

Votes
Don Konipol
Pro Member
#1 Wholesaling Contributor
  • Lender
  • The Woodlands, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 Wholesaling Contributor
  • Lender
  • The Woodlands, TX
Replied May 11 2020, 14:34

@Justin U.

First off, you’re confusing a purchase with a sandwich lease option.

Secondly, while there are people who specialize and are successful in any particular business niche, you must access your own strengths, weaknesses, likes and dislikes to arrive at an investment or business strategy that works for you, in your geographical area.

While there are ways to buy property with no job and no credit history, your universe of potential deals just shrunk enormously. Just to be clear, if there are say 100 really good deals out there, all 11 are available to a cash buyer who can move quickly. 50 may be available to a buyer that can get conventional financing, 25 to a buyer who needs to utilize hard money, and 1 or 2 to a buyer who needs to put together a deal with the seller carrying back a mortgage. Most deals where the seller is willing to carry back financing are either hard to sell or priced over market.