HELP BP COMMUNITY! NOT SURE HOW TO PROCEED ON THIS FOURPLEX

HELP BP COMMUNITY! NOT SURE HOW TO PROCEED ON THIS FOURPLEX

Huntsville, AL · Member since 2017 · 58 posts · 11 votes

Reaching out to the all-knowing BP community because I've been doing a lot of research and talking with various people in the local community here in Huntsville, AL and I am trying to commit on my first deal. I've been looking at some fourplexes in my area that are catching my eye. The one I've been analyzing is in between three universities and right down the road from the arsenal and the research park here in Huntsville.

I got a chance to talk one on one with the owner who lived there after I walked through the property and took pictures. She let me know that she was taking care of the property herself and was just exhausted and tired of it all because she is doing it all and her husband is stationed away from Huntsville but is having second thoughts about selling. 

Here's a little info about the property that I've ran through the calculator different ways.

Asking price: 175K (70% is 122,500)

Est. Repairs: 20-25K

Current Rent: 550/month (2200 total)

Vacancy: 220 (10%)

CapEx: 176 (8%)

Property Management: 242 (11%)

Repairs/Maintenance: 330 (15%)

Based on her estimates, 

Taxes: 125/month

Insurance: 125/ month 

Pest: 85/ month

Cash Flow: 373.41

COCROI: 9.53%

As you can see I put in conservative numbers everywhere and when vacancy is adjusted to 5% and repairs to 10%, it hits the estimated marks given by the 50% rule with a 600 cashflow. The only problem is I just changed jobs recently from serving food to car sales(hallelujah for being out of the restaurant biz) but now I can't use the 203K loan I was planning on because of not being in the same job field for a certain period of time. This is the real question though, what creative ways could I still take to pursue this or similar deals? I would love some feedback and hear what you all think might be some viable options.

Thank you so much in advance!

Jordan Butz

0Reply
17 views

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Hummelstown, PA · Member since 2015 · 638 posts · 653 votes
    9y
    Jordan Butz are you planning to house hack (i.e. Live in one of the units)? If so you should have more financing options available. The numbers at first glance look fantastic for a 4-plex.
  • Huntsville, AL · Member since 2017 · 58 posts · 11 votes
    9y

    @Kyle McCorkel I was planning on house hacking to begin with by using either the FHA or FHA 203k. I've thought about the possibility of using hard money but not sure how comfortable I would be with it because of how high the interests are and points they wrap into the loan. But I also thought about just not living in the unit because it is only 10-15 mins away from where I currently live and about 5 from where I work.

  • Real Estate Agent · Orlando, FL · Member since 2015 · 126 posts · 74 votes
    9y

    Hi Jordan,

    This 4-plex does look interesting, and you certainly are using conservative numbers, though the vacancy rate might be low even at 10% for Huntsville.  15% for repairs and 8% for capex are probably high if you are putting 20-25k into repairing the property upfront.  

    I have been looking at the Huntsville area for some time, and am on the lookout for a boots-on-the-ground partner in Huntsville. I've been looking at some slightly larger complexes of 10+ units in the 300k range in Huntsville that have more income potential than the small multi-families like the one you posted about. Personally, I would like to jump right to commercial properties, but I also know of several folks using the BRRR strategy successfully on SFHs in the area too.

  • Northport, AL · Member since 2015 · 24 posts · 3 votes
    9y

    @Jordan Butz Were you able to make the deal work?  I have also been looking at small multis in Huntsville.  My wife and I are thinking about moving to the area and I have been trying to learn the market a little better.

  • Redondo Beach, CA · Member since 2015 · 22 posts · 1 vote
    9y

    @Jordan Butz I would check out some of the comps in the area. A lot of 4-plexs I've seen in that area go for closer to 120-150k. Even if the numbers work for you as is, I'm sure you don't want to overpay and make a loss on the back end.

  • Huntsville, AL · Member since 2017 · 58 posts · 11 votes
    9y

    @Tobias Falzone yeah I was trying to be as conservative as possible because I like looking at all of these deals right now and trying to see how I can make them work for anyone. But with the repairs, I just put the max suggestion on the rental calc. and who knows there might be some hidden things but the 20-25K I presumed was about 3-4K per unit and 10K for the front and both side stairs. They were a total hazard so they needed to be totally replaced. But I myself don't actually know how much that costs so the initial repair costs could've been less. 

    as for the commercial, I had been looking for that also because I had the same thought but there is only one listing I know of right now. It's a 12u at the 300K asking price but I've driven by it but hadn't looked further into it. Other than that there are a bunch of much larger complexes at a much much higher tag.

  • Huntsville, AL · Member since 2017 · 58 posts · 11 votes
    9y

    Unfortunately, @Drew Brock I wasn't able to make it work I got a chance to speak with one of the owners and the wife was tired of taking care of it but the husband was now having second thoughts about selling it. Two days after I looked at it, they pulled it back off the market so maybe some time again in the future

  • Huntsville, AL · Member since 2017 · 58 posts · 11 votes
    9y

    @Chris Ready yeah you are totally right! Most of them were selling for around that price range so they were not being too realistic especially with the condition the property was in. I believe the most I would've offered on that property was 100K

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.