Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Innovative Strategies
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Greg Carr
  • Residential Real Estate Agent
  • Fort Worth, TX
Votes |
Finding Vacant Properties

Greg Carr
  • Residential Real Estate Agent
  • Fort Worth, TX
Posted Oct 10 2014, 16:54

Here is something I picked up recently to find local vacants...

Call up the local water department and ask for a list of homes with the water shut off. There should be a local water code stating that you are allowed to request this information. You'll pay a fee and should receive a list of all of the homes in the area with no water. Many of those will be vacant. Now you have thousands of homes to refine your search.

Account Closed
  • Investor
  • Dearborn, MI
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Dearborn, MI
Replied Feb 20 2015, 09:26

Thewholesalesrtoolbox.com has the post office vacant property list

User Stats

Votes
Ceasar G.
  • Fort Worth, TX
Votes |
  • Fort Worth, TX
Replied Mar 11 2015, 19:33

Does it work in fort worth

BiggerPockets logo
Network With Property Managers
|
BiggerPockets
Partnering with a property manager before you buy will boost your bottom line. Match and mingle with top property managers now!

User Stats

Votes
Robert Skulka
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Stamford, CT
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Stamford, CT
Replied Mar 11 2015, 19:40

@Greg Carr

Thanks for the tip

Vacant homes not my fortay but will try it!!!!

User Stats

Votes
Jeremy Randall Perryman
  • Investor
  • Lexington, KY
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Lexington, KY
Replied Apr 7 2017, 12:35
Originally posted by @Richard D.:

@Loren Thomas if it is privately held you may run into issues with the privacy policy of the company. If it's run by the local government as most water companies are; you can file a Freedom of Information Act Request. By law they have ten business days to respond to your request. This doesn't mean fulfill it, but just respond. 

Depending on the request and how much is required to compile it, they are aloud to charge fees. If they are going to honor your request they can notify you by sending an invoice, or notice of intent to invoice. At which point you have 30 days to accept and pay or decline. If you accept, the entity that you are requesting information from has 30 days to comply and fulfill your request from the date all monies are paid and you have answered any/all questions they have about your request.

If they deny your request, you are more than welcome to submit a modified request. If you fail to pay and the 30 day period to respond has passed, you may be required to start the process over (my office requires this). This is simply because the information has changed since your original request.

Tips for request information:

1) be specific on the details of what you are looking for. 

Good: I would like the addresses of all properties that are not currently receiving service in your departments service area. (This simplistic one will normally get around privacy issues since you don't request names).

Bad: I would like address for all your customers. (No details, and you miss the ones your looking for)

2) Be courteous. When I call on a public request, the other persons responses or lack of interest in my questions will determine my attitude in wanting to complete their request. If the other person is helpful, I try and complete the request as quickly as I can. If they are uninterested, then I am uninterested in fulfilling their request.

3) Pay the fee: we had one person try and argue with our fees. They are dictated by the US FOIA laws, we don't set them. It took 110 days to complete their request, simply because we would call and ask a question just to reset the clock on them. We followed the rules set forth by the laws, and if you are not nice, then neither are we.

4) Submit your request in writing to the appropriate person/department. Failure to do so only delays the response time, or you may not get one at all. If you send it to the wrong place they can discard it.

Loren I hope these help. If it is a privately held company, you can submit request in similar fashion. But if they have a privacy policy in place, they may not be able to comply with your request.

I called our local electric company to inquire about a list. They responded by telling me that since turning off your electricity is a choice, that information is private and cannot be given out....

User Stats

Votes
BJ Butler
  • Investor
  • Virginia Beach, VA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Virginia Beach, VA
Replied Mar 4 2018, 15:33

Great advice Loren!!!