• San Antonio
Votes |
Property managers for rent by the room in San Antonio

Joe S.
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • San Antonio
Posted May 10 2024, 11:25

So does anyone know if there are any property managers that manage properties in San Antonio where the model is rent by the room?

I have a couple of decent size houses coming up for availability and it crossed my mind.

User Stats

Votes
Replied May 10 2024, 13:24

Check your local and state regulations regarding this business model.  I own a 20 room "rooming house" in Maine.  By law if I rent more than 6 rooms, I must have a residential manager. The residential manager acts as a defacto PM, but they occupy one of the rooms for free, so run your numbers.

User Stats

Votes
Joe S.
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • San Antonio
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • San Antonio
Replied May 10 2024, 13:33
Quote from @Rich Davis:

Check your local and state regulations regarding this business model.  I own a 20 room "rooming house" in Maine.  By law if I rent more than 6 rooms, I must have a residential manager. The residential manager acts as a defacto PM, but they occupy one of the rooms for free, so run your numbers.

Thanks for the input.
My properties not near that big. Lol.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Jeremy Rosen
  • Property Manager
  • San Antonio, TX
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • San Antonio, TX
Replied May 10 2024, 16:20
Quote from @Joe S.:

So does anyone know if there are any property managers that manage properties in San Antonio where the model is rent by the room?

I have a couple of decent size houses coming up for availability and it crossed my mind.

Would you like a revenue projection for them as STRs? I manage 17 properties in San Antonio. 

User Stats

Votes
Joe S.
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • San Antonio
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • San Antonio
Replied May 10 2024, 16:51
Quote from @Jeremy Rosen:
Quote from @Joe S.:

Would you like a revenue projection for them as STRs? I manage 17 properties in San Antonio. 

Sure, let’s talk.

User Stats

Votes
Scott Mac
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Austin, TX
Replied May 11 2024, 06:25

With 6 roomies, and possibly a lot of turnover, 

(Mi cocina es la cochina de nadie)

Same for the restrooms, livingroom and yard.

Maybe some maid service to keep the place(s) as desirable living space.

I wouldn't not expect flop house types to be big on cleaning up other roommates messes .

In the past, I've seen an owner put metal military bunks in the rooms, bunkbeds.

He lived on the premises and acted as the cleaner, manager, tough guy- because bunk bed renters in that area tended to be some rather tough types.

Maybe you could hook up with one of these battered women groups, and turn the place into a shelter for battered women, Where the charity would pay for all of the rooms and just use them as needed.

Good Luck!

User Stats

Votes
Joe S.
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • San Antonio
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • San Antonio
Replied May 11 2024, 15:29
Quote from @Scott Mac:

With 6 roomies, and possibly a lot of turnover, 

(Mi cocina es la cochina de nadie)

Same for the restrooms, livingroom and yard.

Maybe some maid service to keep the place(s) as desirable living space.

I wouldn't not expect flop house types to be big on cleaning up other roommates messes .

In the past, I've seen an owner put metal military bunks in the rooms, bunkbeds.

He lived on the premises and acted as the cleaner, manager, tough guy- because bunk bed renters in that area tended to be some rather tough types.

Maybe you could hook up with one of these battered women groups, and turn the place into a shelter for battered women, Where the charity would pay for all of the rooms and just use them as needed.

Good Luck!

It doesn’t sound easy does it? Lol.
i’m assuming that’s why there’s not much of a model here for there to be property managers to go after.

User Stats

Votes
Jarred Sleeth
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied May 19 2024, 09:31
Quote from @Joe S.:

Hey Joe. Have you considered PadSplit? They just launched in the Austin/San Antonio market. Feel free to PM

User Stats

Votes
Joe S.
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • San Antonio
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • San Antonio
Replied May 19 2024, 12:27
Quote from @Jarred Sleeth:
Quote from @Joe S.:

Hey Joe. Have you considered PadSplit? They just launched in the Austin/San Antonio market. Feel free to PM

Yes, I see on the website It mentions Austin, but I did not see San Antonio.