I own a piece of land that is worth $245,000 and is in a VERY desirable part of the city. It is the last buildable lot in the middle of 1.4 million dollar homes.
I would LOVE to develop this land myself and sell a house, I simply don't have the capital.
My strategy right now is to sell the land to a real estate developer to develop the home at a steep discount ($150,000) but make a claim on the stake of the overall project to get my remaining money back, plus the profit of the build.
Is this feasible? Or are there any other "creative" strategies somebody can think of for this?
Tampa, FL · Member since 2017 · 49 posts · 29 votes
2y
I actually work with a local developer here in the Tampa/St Petersburg area and we look for EXACTLY the situation you are in! Don't low ball. What you want, and what the Developer wants, is that you go in as an Equity Partner in the deal. Your lot has to be paid off so that the Developer can get a construction loan which usually has to be in lien position one. Then you you negotiate your share of the land. The Developers want this setup because they don't have to come up with capital to buy the land. Anyone who loans them for the land wants to be lien position one, then banks don't want to lend for construction as position 2.
Find out who built the most recent homes in that area and call them and say "I'm interested in being an equity partner on a vacant lot I own and it looks like you built a home in that neighborhood recently that sold for X?"
Tampa, FL · Member since 2017 · 49 posts · 29 votes
2y
I offer this exact deal in my markets. We take care of the build, you go in as an equity partner and get paid for the lot, and a percentage of profits once the development is sold.
Providing this in Tampa, St Petersburg, and Sarasota Florida, as well as in Certain areas of Tennessee. Which market are you in?