Real Estate News (What’s your encyclopedia!?)

Real Estate News (What’s your encyclopedia!?)

Logan SplinterPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Dubuque IA / Janesville, WI · Member since 2019 · 44 posts · 17 votes

Hello BP!

I wanted to start a discussion about where/how everyone goes to get their dose of real estate news? Best sites for looking up potential cities to buy in, rental market analysis, trends, rent prices, new laws, etc.

I have a hard time figuring out the best places to go for this information so I’m coming to you guys! Where is the best places to visit that you can call your “real estate encyclopedia!?”

Can’t wait for the reply’s!!


-Logan

1Reply
14 views

Most Popular Reply

Jeff JohnsBusiness Member
Real Estate Broker · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2019 · 14 posts · 6 votes
6y

Hey Logan, I really like FHFA.gov. On there you are able to see which locations are trending up and down. For new law information I think the best source for us in Wisconsin is WRA.org. I assume other states have their own association websites. As for finding rents out of state I am unsure of where to look outside of Rentometer. 

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Jeff JohnsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2019 · 14 posts · 6 votes
    6y

    Hey Logan, I really like FHFA.gov. On there you are able to see which locations are trending up and down. For new law information I think the best source for us in Wisconsin is WRA.org. I assume other states have their own association websites. As for finding rents out of state I am unsure of where to look outside of Rentometer. 

  • Logan SplinterPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Dubuque IA / Janesville, WI · Member since 2019 · 44 posts · 17 votes
    6y

    @Jeff Johns I’ll make sure to check those out! I’m always trying to find new resources for information! 

  • Rental Property Investor · Oconomowoc, WI · Member since 2016 · 996 posts · 431 votes
    6y

    The Wisconsin Apartment Association has laws covered very well.  They even have a lobbyist.  So any law changes I get from there, especially at the state level.  They do a decent job of sharing "local" law changes as well.  The WRA tends to focus more on sales law then rental law. Nothing against them their bread and butter is realtors so of course it's the most pertinent for their audience.  

    Rent prices I do a market survey usually consisting of Zillow, Trulia and Hotpads.  I have a spreadsheet I use to tabulate results.  

    I used to have Business Journal subscription for the purposes of local economy news (which I use to determine where to invest).  I subscription got you access to national cities as well as Milwaukee (which technically covers the state).  However it's become increasingly political over the past 5 years and its not as "straight business" as it used to be.  I haven't found a new place to land yet but when I do I'll let you know. 

  • Real Estate Syndicator · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 907 votes
    6y

    A website called city-data is THE BEST for anything relating to market data.  For general real estate news I like multifamily executive. 

  • Rental Property Investor · West Bend, WI · Member since 2015 · 931 posts · 598 votes
    6y

    Real Estate News for Investors with Kathy Fetkey, (podcast) 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.