Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2016 · 86 posts · 160 votes
BiggerPockets! I work at BP and I'm working on building a landing page for the city of Greenville. Would anyone be willing to share why you choose to invest in the city? What makes it so wonderful?
Real Estate Agent · Greenville, SC · Member since 2016 · 52 posts · 43 votes
6y
sorry for the deled response here. I love Greenville! The housing here is still affordable, it's a safe clean city, and on top of that we are growing quickly but sustainably. Your 3 hours to the beach, 1hr to charlotte, 2 hours to atlanta, and 1 hour to mountains. It's a great place to raise a family, and despite the state school reports, Greenville schools are amazing. We are a very international city, we lead the nation in percentage of jobs linked to foreign companies. South Carolina is tied with New Jersey for the highest percentage of jobs based on foreign investment in the market. This gives the upstate of South Carolina unmatched job security. Brands like Michelin, Lockheed, BMW, Bosch, TTI (ryobi & milwaukee tool), Bauch and Lamb, Scansource, Synnex, Ingram Micro, Miliken, and Proterra all call the upstate home! On top of that it doesn't hurt the best university in the world, Clemson University is right down the road.
I live in Greenville, SC and have found it a wonderful place to live and raise a family. There is a vibrant, thriving & walkable downtown area. The people are friendly. The public schools are great plus there are many state charter schools and lots of private schools. There are two major hospital systems here. The job growth is good and there is a lot of development in this town.
Real Estate Agent · Greenville, SC · Member since 2016 · 52 posts · 43 votes
6y
sorry for the deled response here. I love Greenville! The housing here is still affordable, it's a safe clean city, and on top of that we are growing quickly but sustainably. Your 3 hours to the beach, 1hr to charlotte, 2 hours to atlanta, and 1 hour to mountains. It's a great place to raise a family, and despite the state school reports, Greenville schools are amazing. We are a very international city, we lead the nation in percentage of jobs linked to foreign companies. South Carolina is tied with New Jersey for the highest percentage of jobs based on foreign investment in the market. This gives the upstate of South Carolina unmatched job security. Brands like Michelin, Lockheed, BMW, Bosch, TTI (ryobi & milwaukee tool), Bauch and Lamb, Scansource, Synnex, Ingram Micro, Miliken, and Proterra all call the upstate home! On top of that it doesn't hurt the best university in the world, Clemson University is right down the road.
I think Greenville is full of fantastic opportunities and the surrounding areas are constantly growing, providing even more room for growth. The economy is diverse and healthy. Gentrification is an issue that I'm hoping to help slow down as an investor as well. I started hosting meetups last year via Bigger Pockets and from networking I love seeing the diverse amount of strategies that are viable here.
Involved In Real Estate · Newport News, VA · Member since 2013 · 8 posts · 0 votes
6y
When I come back to SC I'm moving to Greenville. I'm from Spartanburg but its still relatively small and after living in VA for 20yrs I cant do small. Greenville is growing and it beautiful. I will continue however to invest in Spartanburg because that is home and I do want the opportunity to start some community redevelopment projects and build affordable home outside of what Habitat and HUD are doing.
Real Estate Agent · Clemson, SC · Member since 2015 · 56 posts · 35 votes
6y
@Lauren Hogan I'm a real estate agent and investor just outside of Greenville. I agree with everything else in this thread! The Upstate of South Carolina is beautiful. It is an excellent location for the outdoorsy type people with the lakes and mountains. The climate is great (mild winters). It is a short drive to Atlanta, Charlotte, Asheville, and Charleston. The landlord tenant laws are landlord friendly. It has the big city feel while maintaining the small community feel.
Investor · SC · Member since 2016 · 89 posts · 35 votes
5y
@Lauren Hogan - What is your goal of the landing page and for whom is it targeted? Greenville residents to find BP? BP users to find Greenville? People already mentioned the core benefits of the city, but I might be able to provide more if you help with the background
Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2016 · 86 posts · 160 votes
5y
@JR M. the page was going to be a collection of properties & resources for people who live in the Greenville area to use to help invest, unfortunately, the project was never completed! Thank you for your reply.
Rental Property Investor · Anderson, SC · Member since 2020 · 38 posts · 12 votes
5y
100%, totally agree with all the comments on this thread. South Carolina’s population has grown an average of 1.25% each year for the past 5 years. It’s currently SC’s 6th largest city and will continue go grow without a doubt. Median home values are $273,100 and median rental cost are $937/month according to “world population review.”
Additionally, I was raised here. As a Latino it’s become more diverse and community-like. I haven’t had any issues or problems interacting or even meeting new people from different cultures. I enjoy the area very much and will continue to live here.
Property Manager · Easley, SC · Member since 2020 · 5 posts · 2 votes
5y
I live and invest in the Upstate South Carolina area. Cost of living is cheaper than other places we have lived. Property taxes are also much lower (in most areas) and you have the convenience of short drives to either the mountains OR the coast! Here is a great article highlighting some of the reasons people are choosing to move here! https://www.cdanjoyner.com/pos...
BiggerPockets! I work at BP and I'm working on building a landing page for the city of Greenville. Would anyone be willing to share why you choose to invest in the city? What makes it so wonderful?
Lauren, Did you ever create this Greenville page?
Greenville is definitely a great place to invest in Real-estate. I am thrilled with how well my investments have done here. There is also a very active Real Estate club here that offers great training and networking.
Hello! I currently live/work in Spartanburg but am from the Greenville area. I am very young and am hoping to start investing very soon (next year or so). Where is this real estate connection and are there opportunities available to learn from them? Thanks!
Hello! I currently live/work in Spartanburg but am from the Greenville area. I am very young and am hoping to start investing very soon (next year or so). Where is this real estate connection and are there opportunities available to learn from them? Thanks!
Check out the local Real Estate Club that is over 500 strong. Upstate CREIA. Yes plenty of opportunities to learn. Coach Carson will be speaking at our meeting on Monday about getting to financial independence and retiring from a W2 job at an early age.