What are the bad areas in Easton, PA?

What are the bad areas in Easton, PA?

Investor · Ft lauderdale, FL · Member since 2014 · 5 posts · 1 vote

Hi,
I have been investing in Allentown / Bethlehem area, but currently looking into Easton, PA. What are the bad areas in there that I should stay away from investing? E.g. in Allentown I wouldn't invest anywhere east of 8th street and south of Tilghman. Are there areas like that in Easton and which ones are they? Thanks in advance!

1Reply
101 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2018 · 98 posts · 39 votes
6y

@Ivailo Dimov

“Bad” is very subjective. I have a property in Atown that’s south of Tilghman and close to 8th St. 12% cap and beautiful cash flow with a great tenant with a near 800 credit score. No problems at all. I don’t think Atown has a bad neighborhood compared to Philly, for example. My prop mgr (big player in Lehigh Valley area) says the properties in these “bad” areas in Atown, Bethlehem, and Easton perform the best.

See this reply in the discussion

17 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Avenel, NJ · Member since 2015 · 17 posts · 5 votes
    11y

    hello my name is Richard Wilkins and I currently live in Easton  I have some info for you on the areas

  • Avenel, NJ · Member since 2015 · 17 posts · 5 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Ivailo Dimov:

    Hi,
    I have been investing in Allentown / Bethlehem area, but currently looking into Easton, PA. What are the bad areas in there that I should stay away from investing? E.g. in Allentown I wouldn't invest anywhere east of 8th street and south of Tilghman. Are there areas like that in Easton and which ones are they? Thanks in advance!

  • Investor · Paterson, NJ · Member since 2013 · 77 posts · 18 votes
    10y

    I would like to hear the feedback about this town, I was previously interested

  • Allentown, PA · Member since 2014 · 264 posts · 120 votes
    10y

    Easton is tough in my opinion, I had about 22 units around the town in the late '90s. Near the court house was safe East of 3rd was safe... I sold them all 15 years ago.

    I know that Wilson is always a good place, much better schools than Easton High, I heard South Side is better than it was, I have a friend that lives there, there has been a lot of work downtown, but I do not know how much of the economy trickled down to make sure you have good tenants.

  • Rental Property Investor · Easton, PA · Member since 2015 · 19 posts · 5 votes
    10y

    Hi,

    I am also interested in Easton.  I am primarily looking for small multi's, and am trying to find DOMs and real experience with vacancy rates.  Anyone active there in the BP community?  Thanks!

    Tom

  • Residential Investor · Allentown, PA · Member since 2012 · 95 posts · 29 votes
    10y

    following

  • Investor · Brooklyn, NY · Member since 2014 · 92 posts · 11 votes
    10y

    Wilson is good d for me so far. 

    Just need to screen your tenants.  

  • Investor · Brooklyn, NY · Member since 2014 · 92 posts · 11 votes
    10y

    between s18 and s23 are good areas. 

  • Jersey City, NJ · Member since 2017 · 135 posts · 31 votes
    6y

    @Mark Fedorov were you in the West Ward? Seems like College Hill and the Downtown area are decent, albeit higher prices and lower COC. Are you mostly investing in ALlentown now?

  • Rental Property Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2018 · 98 posts · 39 votes
    6y

    @Ivailo Dimov

    “Bad” is very subjective. I have a property in Atown that’s south of Tilghman and close to 8th St. 12% cap and beautiful cash flow with a great tenant with a near 800 credit score. No problems at all. I don’t think Atown has a bad neighborhood compared to Philly, for example. My prop mgr (big player in Lehigh Valley area) says the properties in these “bad” areas in Atown, Bethlehem, and Easton perform the best.

  • Maspeth, NY · Member since 2016 · 75 posts · 62 votes
    6y

    @Jan Kutrzeba "Bad" is such a vague term nowadays... the only true "bad" areas are places which are run down ghettos that you see a lot in north philly, southwest philly, etc., where the murder rate it up there.   Cities like Allentown, Bethlehem, Easton don't see this sort of activity.   By the way, where about in Brooklyn are you?

  • Rental Property Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2018 · 98 posts · 39 votes
    6y

    @Jon B.

    Exactly. My office is on Bedford in Wburg but we do business from Greenpoint all the way down to Flatbush and anywhere the business takes us ie I won’t say “no” to selling a townhouse in Manhattan ;)

    Sorry for the late reply. Haven’t been here in a while.

  • Passaic, NJ · Member since 2017 · 65 posts · 42 votes
    6y

    @John Kutrzeba

    You still in Lehigh Valley? Trying to get an idea of the returns people are seeing and any tips for underwriting there.

    Thanks in advance!

  • Member since 2018 · 127 posts · 37 votes
    6y

    @Mark Fedorov @Thomas Zaremba I am looking at Allentown and Easton for investment. What is your experience with your rental units in these places and curious to know why you picked these places?

  • Member since 2020 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    6y

    @Mark Fedorov @Thomas Zaremba @Buyan Thyagarajan I am looking into investing in ABE area too! what are the pro/cons for each town?

  • Rental Property Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2018 · 98 posts · 39 votes
    6y

    @Elliot Vann

    Sorry just saw this. I’ll DM you tomorrow! In a nutshell: great returns and very happy with my property, team, and the tenant.

  • Member since 2020 · 7 posts · 0 votes
    6y

    Any opinion about Harrisburg PA?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.