Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
New Jersey Real Estate Q&A Discussion Forum
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Dalwin Garcia
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Lyndhurst, NJ
Votes |
Increasing Rent in Passaic, NJ

Dalwin Garcia
  • Lyndhurst, NJ
Posted Feb 15 2017, 08:17

Good morning BP NJ!

I currently own 3 two-family properties in Passaic, NJ. I've never increased the rent on my tenants, but I'm thinking of implementing this strategy starting this year. Can anyone help me understand how rent increases work in our state? Is there a certain dollar amount? Percentage? Am I allowed to raise their rent without having done any renovations/improvements to the apartment?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

User Stats

Votes
Dalwin Garcia
  • Lyndhurst, NJ
Votes |
  • Lyndhurst, NJ
Replied Feb 15 2017, 14:14

Good afternoon BP NJ!

I currently own 3 two-family properties in Passaic, NJ. I've never increased the rent on my tenants, but I'm thinking of implementing this strategy starting this year. Can anyone help me understand how rent increases work in our state? Is there a certain dollar amount? Percentage? Am I allowed to raise their rent without having done any renovations/improvements to the apartment?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

User Stats

Votes
Arthur Soto
  • Passaic, NJ
Votes |
  • Passaic, NJ
Replied Feb 15 2017, 22:06

Hi Dalwin,

I'm a real estate investor from Passaic NJ as well. Good to meet you. In Passaic specifically, there is a rent leveling board. You should call City Hall and get the specifics. I will answer your last question: yes you can raise the rent without any renos done to the house or the apartments. You have the following reasons that you can explain to the tenants: your costs have gone up, the market has heated up,  etc. Good luck and feel free to reach out if you have any other questions.

Arthur Soto

Demo
Practice finding and analyzing deals
Tulsa, OK
$231,902 - Median Home Value
5.97% - YoY Rent Growth
$1,351 - Median Rental Income
0.58% - Rent/Price Ratio
4.56% - Appreciation
0.77% - Population Growth Rate
Find Deals

User Stats

Votes
Dalwin Garcia
  • Lyndhurst, NJ
Votes |
  • Lyndhurst, NJ
Replied Feb 16 2017, 08:00

Hi Arthur,

Thanks for that information! 

Since you invest in Passaic as well it would be great to share some tips with each other. How long have you been investing in Passaic? I've been investing in Passaic for almost 2 years now. We just closed on our 3rd 2-family and we're looking to keep growing!

User Stats

Votes
Arthur Soto
  • Passaic, NJ
Votes |
  • Passaic, NJ
Replied Feb 19 2017, 22:04

Hey Dalwin, actually I've been investing in the greater Passaic area for about the same time. Congrats on the newest deal! I'm in the process of closing my 3rd prop (not counting my primary residence) but its in Garfield. I have properties in Wallington and Passaic. And yes, its good to network and share tips and advice via BP.

User Stats

Votes
Dalwin Garcia
  • Lyndhurst, NJ
Votes |
  • Lyndhurst, NJ
Replied Feb 21 2017, 05:53

@Arthur Soto Congrats on your 3rd property! Hey, I'd love to pick your brain one of these days since you have experience in other markets outside of Passaic. 

User Stats

Votes
Stefan Tsvetkov
  • Investor
  • New York, NY
Votes |
  • Investor
  • New York, NY
Replied Feb 13 2019, 11:39

@Dalwin Garcia Rent control in Passaic applies to much any investment property except: single family home, single condo/coops, owner-occupied 2-family and new construction. A 2-family investment property would thus be subject to rent control assuming the property has been registered with the town's rent control office.

You can find the town's rent control ordinance here: Passaic, NJ Rent Control Ordinance