Returning to Fergus Falls, MN to buy a rental!

Returning to Fergus Falls, MN to buy a rental!

Rental Property Investor · Lansing, MI · Member since 2019 · 36 posts · 11 votes

Hello BP!

I'm originally from the general Fergus Falls, MN area (+30min), and now live in Michigan. My wife and I are looking to buy a single family home as a rental, specifically to use as an AirBnB/STR. I'd love to connect with any real estate investors and professionals in the area to learn more about how this market has been performing, and things to know about.

Connections I need:

  1. investor friendly  lender (once I close with cash and am ready to put a mortgage on it)
  2. on-call "handyman"
  3. cleaner
  4. real estate photographer

Other information I'd like to know:

  1. Local REA meetups?
  2. strength or trends in local long-term rental market
  3. any known or suspected developments coming to the area (businesses, attractions, festivals, etc)
  4. any flips that will be getting finished in the next 1-6 months?
  5. what else should I know, or who else is a good person to know about real estate investing in central MN?

I look forward to hearing any and all feedback that you folks may have to offer!

-Ethan Evans

0Reply
28 views

Most Popular Reply

Residential Real Estate Broker · Fergus Falls, MN · Member since 2016 · 4 posts · 1 vote
4y

I am an agent and investor from Fergus Falls. We also have a cabin that we use as a short term rental. We also own several Buy and hold long term rentals as well. Please let me know if I can assist. Thanks 

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Hugo, MN · Member since 2014 · 283 posts · 257 votes
    4y

    Are you looking specifically in Fergus Falls for a short term rental? There's a lot of people on here who have done well with short term rentals in cabin country. I think BP gets a little finicky about people giving specific recommendations on the forums. Better to search the network section under recommended vendors. Shoot me a DM and I can share specific contacts with you. 

    I know a couple people who own long term rentals in Brainerd who have been doing well. There's not a lot of rental housing available for the population in that town at least. 

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Fergus Falls, MN · Member since 2016 · 4 posts · 1 vote
    4y

    I am an agent and investor from Fergus Falls. We also have a cabin that we use as a short term rental. We also own several Buy and hold long term rentals as well. Please let me know if I can assist. Thanks 

  • Rental Property Investor · Lansing, MI · Member since 2019 · 36 posts · 11 votes
    4y

    Hello @David E Weinrich and @Matt J.! I appreciate the feedback and responses from both of you gentlemen. The real drive for us to buy a STR in central/western MN area like Fergus Falls is that my wife and I want to get a property that will cashflow well first, and will also be close to our family, closer to the MN/ND border - so Fergus Falls is the biggest area closest to that.

    I definitely noticed as I reviewed the other listings on AirBnB that most of them are lake cabins, east of Fergus Falls in the lakes area, but I wasn't sure whether I should interpret that as that's where most of the consumer interest is, or if the immediate Fergus area was just less developed.

    I live in the Lansing, MI area, so we've got some decent LTR properties available here, and I think I'm going to be focusing on STRs first, both in Lansing, MI and in the Fergus Falls/Lakes Area of MN, and then look to add LTRs after that.

    I'll DM both of you for more info - I appreciate it!

    -Ethan

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Fergus Falls, MN · Member since 2016 · 4 posts · 1 vote
    4y

    The majority of the Airbnb are cabins in the area on the nicer lakes. They produce the most income and highly desirable. There are just a handful of STR in the city itself. Let me know how I can assist.

    Thanks 

    Dave

  • Rental Property Investor · Lansing, MI · Member since 2019 · 36 posts · 11 votes
    4y

    Thanks, @David E Weinrich, I sent you a DM!

  • Snellville, GA · Member since 2013 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    4y
    Quote from @David E Weinrich:

    I am an agent and investor from Fergus Falls. We also have a cabin that we use as a short term rental. We also own several Buy and hold long term rentals as well. Please let me know if I can assist. Thanks 


  • Snellville, GA · Member since 2013 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Ethan Evans:

    Thanks, @David E Weinrich, I sent you a DM!


     I will need your assistance on it ; Rentals in Fergus Falls.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.