Contractors: Quality, Honest, Reliable - Metro Detroit Area - MI

Contractors: Quality, Honest, Reliable - Metro Detroit Area - MI

Flipper · Livonia, MI · Member since 2017 · 5 posts · 0 votes

Hello ALL, I'm new to BP. I'm trying to get any help/referrals for some quality, honest and responsible contractors and handymen.  I (along with the investors I work with) have a hard time finding quality contractors that can produce consistent (timely, cost effective, quality) work from project to project.  I need a team I can rely on to get the scope of work completed on time, rinse and repeat on the next job.  Many contractors seem to be good for one or two different houses (if that) then they fall off.  Same goes for the handy man contractors for general maintenance and upkeep of our rentals.  So any assistance in the Metro Detroit area (Detroit, Redford, Livonia, Westland, Garden City, Harper Woods, (Surrounding suburbs) would be helpful for General Contractors, Specific Tradesmen and/or Handyman.  Thanks. 

0Reply
18 views

Most Popular Reply

Property Manager · Farmington Hills, MI · Member since 2017 · 5 posts · 3 votes
9y

Hello Rich.  I'm new to BP as well.  I am on both sides, being an investor first, but I'm also a contractor.  I think we can all run into any and all personality types at any time.  When I consistently run into the same problem, whatever that problem is, I usually try to self reflect.  I have lost a few good contractors along the way, and after reflecting on why, I feel I may have tried too hard to get the prices down.  In my start, I wasn't skilled or knowledgeable enough to do too much.  I thought work should get done a little quicker and a little cheaper.  Now that I perform renovations as well as invest, I'm always surprised at how much is expected.

Just a thought, but maybe there are better quality contractors out there at a different price point?

See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Property Manager · Livonia, MI · Member since 2011 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    we do a lot of work for investors in those areas, west of detroit. i will not go east of telegraph.

    look at my profile to see the website and our work. a few BP members have used us and seem happy.

  • Real Estate Agent · Detroit, MI · Member since 2016 · 82 posts · 52 votes
    9y

    We have this problem in Detroit as well. Finding quality contractors who are reliable, consistent, do good work, affordable, and responsible is a tall order, and we are local and in the business. 

  • Flipper · Livonia, MI · Member since 2017 · 5 posts · 0 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @George P.:

    we do a lot of work for investors in those areas, west of detroit. i will not go east of telegraph.

    look at my profile to see the website and our work. a few BP members have used us and seem happy.

     Hey George, your website and areas you work in look good.  I'll look to speak with you about opportunities west of detroit. Thanks.

  • Flipper · Livonia, MI · Member since 2017 · 5 posts · 0 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Brent Maxwell:

    We have this problem in Detroit as well. Finding quality contractors who are reliable, consistent, do good work, affordable, and responsible is a tall order, and we are local and in the business. 

     Hey Brent, I had checked your website out before looks like you are doing a lot of big things also. That's interesting to here that you are also experiencing the same issues with contractors in the Detroit area.  Why do you think that is.  I'm always perplexed that people who do remolding/repair work for a living (full time) burn so many bridges when it comes to being accountable.  It seems like it they just were consistent and built a great reputation they would be so much more successful and have more work than they could handle, with referral after referral. 

  • Property Manager · Farmington Hills, MI · Member since 2017 · 5 posts · 3 votes
    9y

    Hello Rich.  I'm new to BP as well.  I am on both sides, being an investor first, but I'm also a contractor.  I think we can all run into any and all personality types at any time.  When I consistently run into the same problem, whatever that problem is, I usually try to self reflect.  I have lost a few good contractors along the way, and after reflecting on why, I feel I may have tried too hard to get the prices down.  In my start, I wasn't skilled or knowledgeable enough to do too much.  I thought work should get done a little quicker and a little cheaper.  Now that I perform renovations as well as invest, I'm always surprised at how much is expected.

    Just a thought, but maybe there are better quality contractors out there at a different price point?

  • Flipper · Livonia, MI · Member since 2017 · 5 posts · 0 votes
    9y

    Hello Justin nice feedback.  Pricing can be a whole different issue.  I wasn't even trying to address that with this topic.  We have no problem paying for quality work.  I'm just trying to find quality reliable contractors that can service different areas of Metro Detroit consistently.  The scope of work for each project determines the price points.  There are plenty of contractors who have set prices.  Such as a certain price per sq ft for refinishing floors depending the existing condition.  If I go with the price they (the contractor) have decided without talking them down or anything, then that contractor should be consistent (atleast some what) with the quality of the work and the timeline for completion.  

    Example, if you (the contractor) quotes $1000 for the job and 3 days and the next thing you know we are having a talk because it's day 8 and the floors still aren't done (not because you didn't have access), that is a problem. This is the main premise.  The 1st or 2nd project the contractor would be on point 3,4 days (basically on schedule), quality acceptable. 3rd project the contractor starts to fall behind or make other mistakes.  Hope you get me point.

  • Wholesaler · Sterling Heights, MI · Member since 2014 · 335 posts · 105 votes
    9y

    I have a guy who does hardwood floors, but he is pricey. Amazing work though and completely reliable. I'm glad to give him new business so anybody looking let me know. 

  • Property Manager · Livonia, MI · Member since 2011 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Rich W.:

    Hello Justin nice feedback.  Pricing can be a whole different issue.  I wasn't even trying to address that with this topic.  We have no problem paying for quality work.  I'm just trying to find quality reliable contractors that can service different areas of Metro Detroit consistently.  The scope of work for each project determines the price points.  There are plenty of contractors who have set prices.  Such as a certain price per sq ft for refinishing floors depending the existing condition.  If I go with the price they (the contractor) have decided without talking them down or anything, then that contractor should be consistent (atleast some what) with the quality of the work and the timeline for completion.  

    Example, if you (the contractor) quotes $1000 for the job and 3 days and the next thing you know we are having a talk because it's day 8 and the floors still aren't done (not because you didn't have access), that is a problem. This is the main premise.  The 1st or 2nd project the contractor would be on point 3,4 days (basically on schedule), quality acceptable. 3rd project the contractor starts to fall behind or make other mistakes.  Hope you get me point.

     it comes down to the quality of the person you are talking to, their ability to work with their sub contractors, their ability to schedule jobs, their ability to estimate how long a job takes, etc.

    i was on a "tree cutting forum" years ago and i saw a funny comment.... "how come the tree grew three times bigger from the time i quoted the job to the time i got the job"... kind of like any other contracting job.. :)

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.