Masters in finance or masters in marketing management

Masters in finance or masters in marketing management

Adams, MA · Member since 2013 · 24 posts · 3 votes

Which degree would provide better job outlook and higher pay in the years to come?

0Reply
24 views

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Brandon TurnerPro Member
    Investor · Maui, HI · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    13y

    This is just pure speculation, but I'd bet marketing management would pay better. But I don't have a real good reason for saying it. Just seems right! Thoughts?

  • Investor · Edmond, OK · Member since 2011 · 166 posts · 31 votes
    13y

    I would actually say the finance route. However, that's just speculation as well. I have a degree in finance, and I just feel there are more high paying jobs in the finance industry than in marketing. Or at least, that the high paying jobs pay higher, if that makes sense. But, I can't say anything on outlook having not researched it recently. What are you wanting to get in to would be the best question, I think?

  • Dev HornPro Member
    Flipper/Rehabber · Arlington, TX · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    13y

    As a marketing guy, I'd say you really need to think about PASSION more than PAY. Finance and Marketing are very different. Marketing offers more opportunity for creativity, which is why I love it. Finance is great, but my passion has always been with marketing.

    Where is your passion?

  • Investor · Louisville, KY · Member since 2013 · 38 posts · 15 votes
    13y

    This may not be a popular response but I say neither. As an executive in healthcare earning an income well in excess of six figures from my job plus REI experience is in dispensable. I only have a BA in Business Admin. However the experience I've gained and results I've delivered outweigh any degree anyone has. On the otherside as someone else said what do you love. I realize breaking into the workforce has created an environment where many young people have to pursue advanced degrees just to get an opportunity. I was lucky. I'm only 43 and have made it work without the added pan debt. Do you need the degree before jumping into REI? If so I understand and support the choice. I'd say MBA I'd you're in that position. If not go REI and forget the corporate world. Build your own life on your terms.

  • Adams, MA · Member since 2013 · 24 posts · 3 votes
    13y

    Thank you for the responses.

    Craig Jennings- The reason I want to get a masters degree is because I've been offered to go for free, so I can't turn that down. I originally planned on getting an MBA but this college requires 5 years work experience to get accepted into the program.

    Dev Horn- As of this moment I'm more interested in Finance. But I have no real work experience to base this off, just more into stocks, investing, $$ and numbers. My tastes tend to change often so I'm just doing my research.

    Luke Ward- Could you give some rough estimates on salary for a masters in finance. I have no work experience, I know I wouldn't be making big bucks right away. But what could I realistically expect to make a year right away? How about in 10 years?

    Brandon Turner- I was thinking the opposite. But like you, pure speculation!

  • Investor · Edmond, OK · Member since 2011 · 166 posts · 31 votes
    13y

    Chris O'brien, I didn't do a ton of digging, but this is some decent information to start with. http://career-advice.monster.com/salary-benefits/salary-information/best-paying-mbas/article.aspx

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.