Car You Drive ? vs. Investments You Have ?

Car You Drive ? vs. Investments You Have ?

Lender · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2012 · 147 posts · 76 votes

Ok, long weekend and a little lighthearted fare:

Real estate investors - what kind of car(s) do you drive? Do you prefer luxury cars? Modest cars? How many drive cars with many, many miles on them? And - if you drive a nice car - do you have a "property car" to drive when you go to meet contractors, workers or tenants at properties?

Question 2: How has the vehicle you drive compared to your net worth during the years?

I drove the nicest, most expensive vehicle when I had a much lower net worth.

Now, I drive a very modest vehicle with over 200k miles on it. I can more afford a luxury vehicle than I ever could, my net worth is higher than it ever was, but I keep thinking about that license plate frame that says, "My other car is......." and I want to get one that says, "My other car is an apartment building."

I do feel I've fallen prey to a different, more subtle type of status-seeking. That is the statement that some feel they're making by driving cheap, old cars, basically saying that they know you know they don't have to prove anything financially.

Before you write this off as silly, do note that you make faster progress acquiring wealth if you monthly vehicle expense is $600 (including gas, insurance, maintenance and vehicle acquisition costs) instead of closer to 1500 per month.

Ok, would love to hear your feedback on this. The cars? Oh yeah, they're great:

1999 Honda Civic with 200,600 miles on it.
1998 Ford Explorer Sport with 201,000 miles on it. (great for hauling stuff to the properties)

Joffrey Long

1Reply
83 views

Most Popular Reply

Lender · Tyngsboro, MA · Member since 2009 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
13y

I have always bought slightly used Saabs and kept them to somewhere between 160-200K miles. I loved my Saabs and was distraught (exaggeration) when they shut down. Recently I had parts needed to pass inspection and they were on two month backorder. And after I got that solved, I still needed $4300 worth of work. And the Blue book value was $2800. (Saab values plummeted when they stopped making them) Considering the cost of putting more money into the car than it was worth, the inconvenience of driving to the Saab guy a half hour away, and the cost of a rental while it was in the shop, not to mention that I would still have a 10 year old car with more issues on the way, I decided to shop for a non-Saab. It was painful, and I was cranky, because nothing drove like a Saab.

I bought a new BMW X-1. Spent what I consider a ridiculously large amount of money for the car. (there are no used ones because it's the first year it's offered in the US) But I'm at the point in my life where I want more play and less work and want to enjoy what I worked so hard for.

It turned out to have come in with a defective cam shaft. I've now been driving their loaner for longer than I drove my new car. The part is on backorder from Germany, and they are trying to find me a new car already in the states that matches my feature set, without ordering me a whole new car from Germany.

So the only good news is that all the miles I put on it are on their loaner and not my car. Wish I didn't sell the old Saab.

See this reply in the discussion

86 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · nowhere, TX · Member since 2012 · 242 posts · 84 votes
    13y

    2003 Honda Accord 160,000 miles (purchases used in 2005). I don't know if I can ever go back to making car payments. If this one dies on me anytime soon, I'll just go buy a $3,000 used car.

  • Joel OwensBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Canton, GA · Member since 2010 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    13y

    I have an old 97 Toyota Tercel with close to 170,000 miles on it. My mom drives a 1993 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham that I bought from my brother who is a car dealer for 2,400 cash a few years ago and it only had 74,000 miles on it!! The car was one owner and mint condition. Since that time I have put in a new drivers side seatbelt ( 230 bucks), new starter (240 bucks), new back trunk electronic latch
    ( 120 bucks ), new brakes (400 bucks). So about a grand in 2 years which is nothing and the car runs like a dream.

    I could buy brand new cars with cash but the thought of that just makes we want to feel sick that as soon as I drive off the lot it is worth so much less.

  • West, MI · Member since 2012 · 674 posts · 182 votes
    13y

    Never had a vehicle payment, never will.

    Most I have ever paid is $16k for a used one.

  • Investor · Clairemont, CA · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    13y

    2001 Ford F-150 205,000 never had a vehicle payment and only ever had 2 vehicles.

    I do have a couple motorcycles but those are more hobby than anything' 77 GS750 I'm in the process of putting back together paid $200 for (it was pretty rough haha), and a '79 GS850 that I learned to ride on.

  • Investor · San Jose, CA · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    13y

    Joffrey,

    What a timely post. I typically buy 3-4 year old cars with 50k or less miles for 1/2 of the new price. I drive them for 7 years before I upgrade to the next car. The same for my wife. We always pay cash for our cars. I drive a 2003 E500 with 120k miles on it. It's time for an upgrade, but I'm debating hard this time. Should I buy a brand new Prius, or wait a couple more years and get a brand new Tesla. Originally, I was thinking of getting a 2009-2010 Lexus LS460 or MBZ S550, but that's no longer the case.

    Wife drives a 2007 E350 with 60k miles on it. We have a "vacation" car, which is a 2001 Yukon XL with 170k miles on it. I love this car. I'll drive it into the ground before I buy another SUV.

    My philosophy is different. I want to make more money so I can spend more. I don't want to make more money to save more. It's all about the quality of life. Like you, my networth is the highest it has ever been. I'm still counting my blessings day in and day out.

    As Marco said: Continued Success. :)

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Greeley, CO · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    13y

    Haha, I love cars and spend a lot of money on them because they make me happy. My spending has gone up as my net worth has gone up.
    My daily driver is a 2010 Audi S4, bought it used from California and had it shipped here because it was the cheapest certified used S4 I could find with low miles. I drive about 30k miles a year. I bought it in Sept 2012 with 17k miles and it now has 33k miles.

    I have a 91 Mustang 5.0 convertible I have had since college and it was my daily driver for year. I put a supercharger on it when the car had 60k miles and the car now has 140k miles and runs like a champ.

    I also have a 1986 Porsche 928 that I bought 2.5 years ago in New York and shipped back. It is black and beautiful. It had 116k miles on it when I bought it and has 130k + on it now. The speedo stopped working a while back so I am not sure of the exact mileage.

    My wife has a 2006 Acadia for the twins and hauling crap. It has a ton of room in it. We bought it in 2011 with 64k miles and it has 84k now.

    I guess this is why we have a house with a five car garage under contract.

    If any cares here are some of my previous cars.
    79 land cruiser fj40
    Toyota supras 87, 90 and 90 turbo
    1990 corvette, (totaled)
    2005 infiniti g35x (totaled)

  • Investor · San Jose, CA · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    13y

    Mark,

    With those two cars totaled and you're still alive, I'd like to say congrats. I've always wanted a Corvette. I was thinking of getting a 2006 Corvette last year. Wife said no Corvette for you. :(

    Maybe she will let me get one when my daughter is a little older.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Greeley, CO · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    13y

    Haha. I wasn't hurt I either accident. I was In collee with the Vette and it slid off the road in a rain storm. Flipped upside down into an irrigation ditch. The ditch was only 3 feet deep but I didn't know that until I managed to break my window and get the door open once the pressure released.

    In the infinit I was tboned by a pickup that decided to run straight through a stoplight when the power was out and everyone else knew to treat it as a four way stop. I couldn't see Jim because of a large trick blocking my view. Luckily my side airbags saved my head from slamming into my frame or windows. He hit me at about 30mph straight in the drivers side and I was totally fine.

  • Mike B.Pro Member
    Developer · Chicago, IL · Member since 2013 · 434 posts · 357 votes
    13y

    2010 Cadillac STS. Paid cash. I work very hard for my money, I'll be damned if I don't enjoy the perks of having it.

  • Investor · San Jose, CA · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    13y
    Originally posted by Mark Ferguson:
    Haha. I wasn't hurt I either accident. I was In collee with the Vette and it slid off the road in a rain storm. Flipped upside down into an irrigation ditch. The ditch was only 3 feet deep but I didn't know that until I managed to break my window and get the door open once the pressure released.

    In the infinit I was tboned by a pickup that decided to run straight through a stoplight when the power was out and everyone else knew to treat it as a four way stop. I couldn't see Jim because of a large trick blocking my view. Luckily my side airbags saved my head from slamming into my frame or windows. He hit me at about 30mph straight in the drivers side and I was totally fine.

    Wow. You're a lucky man. As the Asians typically say "your number is not up yet."

  • Investor · Tucson, AZ · Member since 2013 · 124 posts · 11 votes
    13y

    I don't have a car. I ride a bicycle and I have been doing it for a year. When my last car broke down I decided no to fix it and I promised myself to buy another car only after buying another property. Last Friday I made 4 offers for some SFR's and now I'm waiting to hear from the sellers. When I really need a car for a day or two I rent one.

  • Investor · Wichita Falls, TX · Member since 2010 · 3k+ posts · 603 votes
    13y

    2012 Hyundai Sonata Limited. Bought new in February 2012, payed off when I refi'd my primary into a lower rate in February 2013 (Yes I know I could have used this to purchase more property lol!)
    Good thing is the home appreciated so much I was able to skim a lot more off the top :)

    Car is simple, elegant, and not that expensive. I'll be driving it for a looong time.

  • Lender · Tyngsboro, MA · Member since 2009 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    13y

    I have always bought slightly used Saabs and kept them to somewhere between 160-200K miles. I loved my Saabs and was distraught (exaggeration) when they shut down. Recently I had parts needed to pass inspection and they were on two month backorder. And after I got that solved, I still needed $4300 worth of work. And the Blue book value was $2800. (Saab values plummeted when they stopped making them) Considering the cost of putting more money into the car than it was worth, the inconvenience of driving to the Saab guy a half hour away, and the cost of a rental while it was in the shop, not to mention that I would still have a 10 year old car with more issues on the way, I decided to shop for a non-Saab. It was painful, and I was cranky, because nothing drove like a Saab.

    I bought a new BMW X-1. Spent what I consider a ridiculously large amount of money for the car. (there are no used ones because it's the first year it's offered in the US) But I'm at the point in my life where I want more play and less work and want to enjoy what I worked so hard for.

    It turned out to have come in with a defective cam shaft. I've now been driving their loaner for longer than I drove my new car. The part is on backorder from Germany, and they are trying to find me a new car already in the states that matches my feature set, without ordering me a whole new car from Germany.

    So the only good news is that all the miles I put on it are on their loaner and not my car. Wish I didn't sell the old Saab.

  • Deborah BurianPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Oklahoma City, OK · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 412 votes
    13y

    Daily driver is 1993 F150 Pickup with 225,000 miles. Husband drives 2005 Passat TDI. Purchased both new with the intention of driving the wheels off.

    Pickup still going strong... going to see how far he can get. Passat TDI is a terrible car, currently parked in the driveway on it's 8th (not exaggerating) breakdown in 14 months. Shopping for its replacement which is likely to be a lightly used Subaru Outback. Considering getting a beater Honda for my daily driver when I don't need the truck for hauling.

  • Hales Corners, WI · Member since 2013 · 229 posts · 80 votes
    13y

    I am not a real estate investor yet, but we have been savers for a long time and, our net worth is above average. (we're nowhere near you guys but the idea is to start working on that!)

    My first new car was a Dodge Neon. Got rid of it after about 5 years when the a/c failed.

    Second car was a 2001 Acura TL, a very ritzy car but we ended up getting a very good end of model year, last ones they're trying to get rid of special. My husband is still driving this vehicle with 220k miles on it and it is still a very nice car, it's been a great vehicle. We just had it totally detailed and having it super-clean was a nice treat.

    I got the third new car, a 2007 Honda Odyssey minivan, after we had our second child. Now we have 3 kids, ages 8, 6, and 4 and having a minivan is great. It's got a few very unfortunate scratches but that's life.
    We really love Honda / Acura. They have been reliable, good steady cars for us.

    Our thing about cars is to buy new and drive a long time. My husband wants a new car, and our Acura may not last forever. I want to get a cash flowing house to pay for his next car. He loves the show Top Gear and would love a Porsche someday. I've always liked the idea of a little convertible but it's not too practical where we live.

  • SFR Investor · Watkinsville, GA · Member since 2011 · 83 posts · 33 votes
    13y

    Have a 2004 F350 quad can long box powerstroke diesel with 196,000 miles and use that for real estate. My daily driver I just purchased is a 2013 Hyundai Elantra. Cheapest car I could buy that met my needs and I paid cash. Didn't want a car payment on a depreciating asset.

    Speaking of the corvettes, I always had a new one every other year and finally sold my last one in 2011 (it was a 2010 GS) that was paid. Used the cash from the sale to pay down and refinance one property and purchased another one.

    But I can also say I have more free cash and a higher net worth than I have ever had and drive less expensive cars now. It's kinda funny how things change.

  • Contractor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2012 · 176 posts · 103 votes
    13y

    '04 Chevy Avalanche with 145K miles, bought in 2010. Fits my needs for the times when I do need a truck bed I have one. I like that it has a large back seat for the kids (its built on a Suburban frame) and the lockable panels that cover the bed are nice too.

    This is my daily driver now but will probably become the property junker truck soon to be replaced by something more fuel efficient.

  • Investor · El Dorado Hills, CA · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    13y

    I lease Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep vehicles through my insurance agency as the dealer is a large client of mine. I have a 2012 Chrysler 300 and my wife has a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee. I like cheap, low mileage leases on base models as I live close to work and drive under 10k miles a year. I also like having new cars every three years and never dealing with maintenance, tires, etc. I have a child and would not be comfortable with my wife and kid driving around in a older, high mileage vehicle. The safety advances every 5 years are significant.

    I deal with hundreds of very successful investors, mostly multi family, and most of them have nice houses and nice cars. You only live once and you can't take it with you so you should enjoy life. I can understand the sentiment of flying under the radar and not showing your money so I will never be the guy in a Range Rover or S550 that costs $1500 and is extremely expensive to maintain, but I will always drive a nice, newer American car. My next car will be a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee diesel, 30 mpg in a 4wd SUV is amazing. My wife lusts after a new Audi A8, and I will get her one someday.

  • Real Estate Broker · Naples, FL · Member since 2013 · 9k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    13y

    Joffrey Long..."My other car is an apartment building." LOL!

  • Flipper/Rehabber · West Hartford, CT · Member since 2013 · 128 posts · 52 votes
    13y

    Great topic- as Joffrey Long hinted, i see many young professionals who are making "decent" money cruising around in expensive vehicles. Whether they can afford to buy them using all cash or only afford the payments is another topic of discussion all together.

    I'm new to REI but my mentor isn't. He's been consistently investing in RE for over 2 decades. Five years into his career he went to a Ferrari dealership and wrote a $140K check for a 430 spider. He sold it 2 years later after he realized it wasn't worth dusting it off in his garage every month because it's tough to collect rent checks in a Ferrari!

    He now drives a '97 Ford Explorer that he paid $1800 for. He treated himself to an $800 work truck that he's owned for the past 2 years. He's never had car payments for any of his vehicles. The miles between these two beauties are too many to even type out!

    We were working on one of our houses the other week when our new demo guy came to get started. The first time we met he was driving a newer Ford Explorer. This second time he was driving a 2012 Hyundai Sonata. I joked with my mentor that we were in the wrong business- this guys car is nicer than yours! He went on to say that "some people plan for the future, others want it today...it's your choice". Although we were both laughing and I have very limited knowledge of our demo guys' financial status, it was a very eye-opening moment for me.

  • Investor · Portland, OR · Member since 2012 · 266 posts · 128 votes
    13y

    Good topic - and I'm surprised at the responses. I expected this to be a list of 50K cars.

    I work in corporate america and do REI on the side with 2.5 rentals - though most of our net worth is tied up in more traditional investments such as a 401K/IRA/etc.

    I drive a 2008 Chevy Malibu (paid 16,500) and my wife drives a 2011 CRV (paid 23,000). The plan is to keep these for 7-10 years, though I'll admit that I'm already looking over the fence for my new car. I will also admit that i feel guilty about that after reading this thread.

  • Rental Property Investor · Mercer Island, WA · Member since 2008 · 22k+ posts · 14k+ votes
    13y

    Well, like Mark Ferguson I like cars. I don't have a daily driver per se. I have three and drive which ever one is needed that day. I have a 2000 Xterra that's my workhorse. I need to get off BiggerPockets, hook up the trailer and get to Home Depot for a load of sheetrock. It has 130,000 miles on it and I bought it new. I'm hoping to get another seven years out of it.

    I have a 2005 Triumph Speedmaster motorcycle. In the summer, its my daily driver.

    And a Mustang for me, too. A 2008 GT, bought used. I don't want to run that Xterra into the ground, so I bought something else last year. I seriously looked at Accords and Elantras, both of which are very nice cars. Boring as all get out, but nice. Then I made the mistake of trying a Mustang. That was that. That's by far the sportiest car I've ever had, except maybe the 1962 T-bird I had when I was a teen and into my college years. And, yeah, the Mustang gets worked out over at Bandimere, our local drag strip. You ever think about selling your fox body, Mark, give me a shout. I'm not a fan of how they look but I'm a fan of how they go.

    And the Mrs. has a Camry. Which is actually a really nice car. She used to drive a BMW 3 series but it reached the point where maintenance was a real issue. Unfortunately, the Camry is a 2007 when Toyota was having some quality issues. Its done OK, but isn't quite what I expected from Toyota

  • Lender · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2012 · 147 posts · 76 votes
    13y

    Wow!

    Thanks for all the responses - too many people to name, but thanks so much to all!

    And my sincere apologies to the new car industry - guess you won't get too much cash from this crowd - except for replacement parts.

    Thanks again to you all - now I don't feel quite so crazy.....at least to the extent of this issue.

    Happy Holiday,

    Joffrey

  • CA · Member since 2011 · 762 posts · 182 votes
    13y

    I lease an Accord (boring but comfortable and practical) so I have a new car every two or three years. I pay $300/mo which is about what you would expect to pay for a new car that you junk every 7 years, but I don't have to worry about repairs. I also have a 2004 Volvo with 150k miles that I use when my Accord miles gets close to the maximum allotment.

  • Rental Property Investor · Manchester, NH · Member since 2013 · 447 posts · 81 votes
    13y

    2002 acura rsx. 90k miles. Had a pmt for years and never plan on doing that again!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.