Educate me On a Job-Hopping (Salary Range)

Educate me On a Job-Hopping (Salary Range)

Investor · Manhattan, NY · Member since 2018 · 103 posts · 70 votes

I need some help with the salary range expectation I have after some research is realistic or not.

The background of this story is the following:

* My background is in Mechanical Engineering

* 7 years experience in the current job (9 years total as an engineer)

* I live in NYC

* The current salary is $93k

A recruiter contacted me for a position as follows:

* The position is a senior engineer

* I owe the recruiter to give them my salary range expectation by tomorrow.

* I talked with the recruiter last Monday and I asked them for a time to do the research before I say anything on the spot.

So, I have been researching for an appropriate numbers and my market values. After some digging, I found the average pay for the position, experience, location, etc, the number seems to fall under around $106k.

This number seems to be reasonable to me as I am expecting a 10% to 20% increase from my current job ($93k) when I do the job-hopping. In fact, a 15% increase from the current pay is about $107k.

Then for the range, I thought maybe to start with $107k for the lower end of the range, and the higher range would be a 10% to 20 % increase from the lower end ($117k and $128k), so I would either have:

1. $107k to $117k (10 % range)

2. $107k to $128k (20 % range)

Is this reasonable? Having a range of $10k and $20k seems pretty tight? I haven't really done job-hopping in my career, so I don't have that much experience and expectations from an HR standpoint.

Also, I contacted some of the employees via LinkedIn, and after speaking to them, I am very excited to work for them as it seems a lot of my values and wants are checked off. They also shared me with some benefits package, and the benefit seems very generous. One of the employees told me that the average year for employees to stay with the company is 14 years.

What do you think about the salary range I am considering to offer them??

0Reply
26 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Basit SiddiqiBusiness Member
    Accountant · New York, NY · Member since 2015 · 8k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    5y

    @Masashi Borges-Silva

    For you to get a valuable response - the person responding would have to be in the same profession as you(mechanical engineer) along with living in the same location and atleast have more experience than you.

    With that said - $106,000 sounds low to me for a professional such as an engineer after 9 years of experience living in NYC but I am speaking with no experience.

    Maybe posing this question on another platform like reddit would give you better results since this is a real estate forum.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.