HOA bullying me in FL (Tower management group)

HOA bullying me in FL (Tower management group)

Winter Garden, FL · Member since 2013 · 2 posts · 0 votes

I live in Florida. My HOA management company (tower management, aka: space coast management, lighthouse properties international llc, lighthouse properties management south florida, lighthouse properties management group,) has been a nightmare, since they were hired in 09. I recently filed a BBB complaint against their constant harassment. Of course, they lied in their responses, but since I only would communicate through email, I had proof of their lies. I have had problems with them, 'misplacing,' my payments, then charging me late fees. One check they clearly cashed, (I got the cleared check from the bank,) yet they wouldn't apply the payment until I provided proof they cashed my check.
They recently insisted on communication only through certified mail, or get the lawyers involved. (They claim this is statute, to which I cannot find.) This, 8 months after I sent them a payment plan, (and an invoice for my time, long story,) certified mail yet, they claim I never sent them anything. Then, in one of their BBB responses, they scanned the letter I sent them into the site!
Now, they are not cashing my check...again. I am being harassed by this company! How is this legal? How do I get them to cash my check and do their job? I would cc the BOD through email, so they could witness the ridiculousness of this guy. He told the BOD to put my email in spam..and they did! One of my neighbors told me they laugh at me at the meetings. We are currently looking for another house, but it takes time. What can I do? How can I make them cash my checks? How do I stop them from getting lawyers involved for something so stupid? (Wasting more of our money.) What are my legal rights? What is this statute that states that communication is only through certified mail, or attorneys? Thanks

0Reply
14 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2012 · 109 posts · 22 votes
    13y

    I would find out when the next board meeting is and attend the board meeting or get the names of the board members and speak with them. Any HOA simply wants their owners to pay their dues. Not sure how far in arrears you are (as you mention a payment plan) but there could be other issues where it is beyond the point of a payment plan if the property is going to foreclosure etc but I would speak with the board.

  • Real Estate Consultant · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2009 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    13y

    You may want to review your deed/agreement to see how disputes are supposed to be handled and should have references to housing laws that should be followed.

  • Winter Garden, FL · Member since 2013 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    13y

    Thanks for the replies.
    I am paid up...if they would cash my check. House is not in foreclosure. I was on a payment plan with the old management company, because it was easier to pay monthly, as opposed to quarterly. I wasn't ever truly behind and never had a problem until SCP took over.
    I do have the email addresses of the board and have been cc-ing them on each email between myself and the management company. I did attend one of the meetings a couple years ago and it didn't end good. (My health has also prevented me from attending since-and they know this.)
    What can I do if they keep throwing my check in the trash? The only reason I'm behind now, is because they won't cash my check.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.