Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Off Topic
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Tatiana Podel
  • Accountant
  • Windermere, FL
Votes |
Crowdstreet investing experience

Tatiana Podel
  • Accountant
  • Windermere, FL
Posted Mar 2 2020, 16:54

Hi everyone, as a new investor working a full time job with two little kids, wondering if any of you have experience investing through Crowdstreet and what your thoughts on that are? Thank you all so much!

Account Closed
  • Rental Property Investor
  • California
Votes |
  • California
Replied Jul 12 2020, 11:49

@Tatiana Podel I just funded for my first investment through the portal as well.

Account Closed
  • California
Votes |
  • California
Replied Nov 27 2020, 19:51

As a follow up I have received first two dividend payments. They were exactly 5% on an annual basis. Sponsor uploads financials around the 15th of the month  and a few paragraphs on what is going on with the project. 

CV3 Financial logo
CV3 Financial
|
Sponsored
Fix & Flip | DSCR | Construction Loans Up to 90% LTV - Up to 80% Cash Out - No Income Verification - No Seasoning Requirements

User Stats

Votes
Brandi T.
  • Investor
Votes |
  • Investor
Replied Feb 26 2021, 06:38

do you mind sharing updates?  I'm interested also.

User Stats

Votes
Lisa Paolella
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Apr 7 2021, 15:44

@Neil S.how is it going?

Account Closed
  • California
Votes |
  • California
Replied Apr 7 2021, 15:49

@Lisa Paolella everything exactly as planned so far on the multi family value add. I also recently updated in a student housing value add and a Marriot hotel in Ga. all through CrowdStreet.

Know what you are getting into. If you want cash flow make sure you invest in a project that pays dividends right away. In the case of the student housing there is no dividends until refi at year 2 then a large portion of principal is returned then divideds after that. For the Marriot hotel it’s more of a business, so the dividends are large (up to 16%) but the refi and/or sale only planned to return capital, so most of the profits come to you via monthly dividends.

My point is, look at the different plans and see what you want. If you are already receiving an income and don’t need monthly cash flow you may prefer all the appreciation at the end. If you want your money back faster look for a refi. If you want cash flow heavy look for that. They have lots of choices.

User Stats

Votes
Vrushal Dongre
  • Cupertino, CA
Votes |
  • Cupertino, CA
Replied Apr 26 2021, 21:19

@Account Closed Thanks for sharing your experience. I've been sitting on the sidelines with Crowdstreet watching their projects and sometimes attending webinars. Couple of questions

- Are you investing as yourself or through a LLC? Any comments on either approach?

- Taxes: If I invest as an individual, would I get the tax benefits of investing directly in RE (owning a SFH for e.g.) or are the dividends taxed as ordinary income?

Account Closed
  • California
Votes |
  • California
Replied Apr 26 2021, 21:27

@Vrushal Dongre you can invest as an entity (LLC) but I just went in as an individual. Either way you will get a K-1 issued.

For the tax issue please refer to CPA...but, my experience is that the passive losses will only offset passive gains. So if you have no other passive gains you will not be able to have a passive loss reduce your income. It will simply carryover to later years until you have passive activity gains to offset. So if you think hey I’ll put in $100k and get this huge passive write off it simply is not true. This is misunderstood by most and put out as gospel by idiots like Grant Cardone.

User Stats

Votes
Vrushal Dongre
  • Cupertino, CA
Votes |
  • Cupertino, CA
Replied Apr 27 2021, 09:24

Thanks @Account Closed! 

Account Closed
  • California
Votes |
  • California
Replied Nov 2 2021, 12:51

Just got 2nd distribution from Hotel deal on CrowdStreet. $20k qtly Dividend. Not bad!  On track for around $80k dividend for year on a $200k investment. Wife's exact words this morning were "can we do more of those please".

User Stats

Votes
Myriam Keaton
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Jun 3 2024, 08:37

Hello, I'm looking into Crowdstreet as well. Do you have a recent update?