Tenant disposed of a dead cat on our property!

Tenant disposed of a dead cat on our property!

Rental Property Investor · CO · Member since 2019 · 14 posts · 3 votes

Our tenant just moved out four days ago, and while taking care of yard maintenance (that they were supposed to take care) I smelled the worst smell EVER! They had removed a small piece of under pinning to the mobile home and thrown one of their dead cats under there! By the looks of it, it had been there 1-3 weeks. Anyone ever experience something like this? If so, what would you charge as a “disposal/cleanup fee”? Thanks in advance!

0Reply
8 views

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Specialist · Paradise Valley, AZ · Member since 2018 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Rachel Dixon:

    Our tenant just moved out four days ago, and while taking care of yard maintenance (that they were supposed to take care) I smelled the worst smell EVER! They had removed a small piece of under pinning to the mobile home and thrown one of their dead cats under there! By the looks of it, it had been there 1-3 weeks. Anyone ever experience something like this? If so, what would you charge as a “disposal/cleanup fee”? Thanks in advance!

     Unfortunately, how do you prove it was their cat and that they were the ones who thew it under there? I think I would just clean up the mess and call it good. I've found decaying cats, possums, raccoons, rats and bats in properties I've bought and was just glad it was only a critter.

  • Rental Property Investor · CO · Member since 2019 · 14 posts · 3 votes
    7y

    @Mike M. We’ve seen the cat inside their home while doing maintenance. It is definitely their cat and don’t think I would have an issue with them admitting to it, but just wondering what someone would charge as a cleanup fee. It was NOT a fun job!

  • Specialist · Paradise Valley, AZ · Member since 2018 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Rachel Dixon:

    @Mike M. We’ve seen the cat inside their home while doing maintenance. It is definitely their cat and don’t think I would have an issue with them admitting to it, but just wondering what someone would charge as a cleanup fee. It was NOT a fun job!

     Welcome to real estate investing. A handyman charges about $20 per hour, it took you 10 minutes so you charge him $3.33 but you have to bill him and take a nasty phone call from him arguing that it wasn't his cat.

  • Rental Property Investor · CO · Member since 2019 · 14 posts · 3 votes
    7y

    @Mike M. Thanks! I’ll deduct the $3.33 from her deposit and accept that nasty phone call :)

  • Rental Property Investor · Erie, PA · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    7y

    A dead cat is much better than a dead human . Don’t ask me how I know

  • Rental Property Investor · CO · Member since 2019 · 14 posts · 3 votes
    7y

    @Dennis M. I hope we never find ourselves in that situation, but you are correct on that!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.