My parents lost everything to a house fire today

My parents lost everything to a house fire today

Rehabber · Fort Walton Beach, FL · Member since 2011 · 240 posts · 48 votes

Today my disabled parents woke up in their home to the kitchen fully engulfed in flames. They live in New Orleans and didn't have any insurance on the property because after Katrina, rates went so high they just couldn't afford to keep it up. They only brought in a bit under 1k a month to live on. They were able to get their dogs out, but we do not know if their 2 cats survived.

It seems the back half of the house is destroyed. The fired went thru the 2nd floor, attic and roof.

For those of you that know me, you know I was just starting out and had very little money getting started and didn't come out the gate with the strongest first purchases. Having said that, I have very little means to help them and help is what they desperately need.

I am asking if there is anyone in the New Orleans area that would be willing to donate time and or materials to help rebuild. I also did a post on facebook to do a collection of donations. They got out with the clothes on their back and little else. The link to the donations page is:

http://apps.facebook.com/fundrazr/activity/f1d6eab73f234cd5bb5c2264882558c6?psid=cce452bf387847099758c1749d34ec0b
If this doesn't come thru as a link can you please copy and paste... not very good at this.
I kindly ask, if anyone can help that they do. I also ask Josh and Jon, please don't remove the link if at all possible. They have nowhere to turn and I would never post if it were not a desperate situation.

Prayers are also so greatly appreciated. Thank you so much.

0Reply
23 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Investor · the villages, FL · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
14y

Sherry- As many on BP know, I took early social security so the govt wouldn't piddle away my money! I don't receive much, but I donate it every month and have helped contacts here on BP before. Give me an address and a name to put on the check. It might give them some small relief. My heart goes out to all involved. Rich

See this reply in the discussion

25 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Joel OwensBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Canton, GA · Member since 2010 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    14y

    Sherry your post puts life in perspective. We should all be grateful for simple things in life we take for granted.

    I am sorry to hear about your situation.

    What about writing to Extreme Home Makeover,Mike Holmes,etc.??

    What about local builders in the area?? They love to get good press by helping out with these things.

    I would look into those avenues along with charities,churches,and government programs. What about Habitat for Humanity??

  • Investor · Southlake, TX · Member since 2009 · 950 posts · 338 votes
    14y

    http://apps.facebook.com/fundrazr/activity/f1d6eab73f234cd5bb5c2264882558c6?psid=cce452bf387847099758c1749d34ec0b

    Here it is linked.

    Sherry, I know you and your family have a long road ahead. I'm sure you are, but be thankful for your parents safety. Keep the faith.

  • Lender · Tyngsboro, MA · Member since 2009 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    14y

    Sherry, my heart goes out to you and your family, I'll post your link on my facebook page.

  • Commercial Real Estate Lender / Syndicator · Dallas, TX · Member since 2011 · 888 posts · 309 votes
    14y

    Sherry Lewis - Sorry to hear that. The Southeast Louisiana Chapter of the Red Cross has recently helped several folks displaced by fire. See this link, http://www.arcno.org/index.php?bShow=328&cat=1 and give them a call. Might help if you post pics on your FC donation page.

  • Mark UpdegraffBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Rochester, NY · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 689 votes
    14y

    My bro in law works for disaster relief non profit in NOLA. I can put you in touch with him, he knows the system.

    PM me,
    Mark

  • Real Estate Investor · the villages, FL · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    14y

    Sherry- As many on BP know, I took early social security so the govt wouldn't piddle away my money! I don't receive much, but I donate it every month and have helped contacts here on BP before. Give me an address and a name to put on the check. It might give them some small relief. My heart goes out to all involved. Rich

  • Investor · Union, NJ · Member since 2011 · 838 posts · 295 votes
    14y

    Hi Sherry,

    So sorry to hear about your parents fire. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

    As bad as it is Sherry Thank God they both were able to get out and were not injured or worse killed.

    Hang in there.

    sincerely,
    chris

  • Rehabber · Fort Walton Beach, FL · Member since 2011 · 240 posts · 48 votes
    14y

    I cannot thank all of you enough for your kind words.

    If you want to mail a donation Rich you can send it to Sherry Lewis 500 Division Street Fort Walton Beach FL 32547 I will deposit it into the account the paypal donations go in then they can access the money directly with a debit card which they should receive on monday. I just sent them mine so they could get to it as quickly as possible to get clothes, personal hygeine stuff, food etc.

    Mark I would be ever so appreciative for the contact info.

    Carlos I will definitely try to get photos up in the next day or so. I just have to find a friend in New Orleans to get me the photos and send them to me as they lost their camera. Dad lost his cell in the fire. They both lost their computers. Mom still had her cell but no charger. I have a friend looking to get her a charger so I can keep in touch with her.

    Joel, I think that is a great idea. To be truthful I just hadn't got that far yet in my thinking. I am sure you can imagine how mind blowing all of this is. I am eternally grateful that they made it out safely. My Aunt Connie actually lived with them too. She was up in PA when it happened and found out today that she has no home to come home to. Its just so sad. My mother was a writer most of her life. She had dozens of journals and was working on a novel. It is all gone. All of my childhood memories, family photos... I know we are blessed because they survived, its just hard to comprehend it all today.

    Thank you to anyone that can help out and please send them your prayers. They are really going to need them.

    Sherry

  • Real Estate Investor · the villages, FL · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    14y

    I have a paypal acct I can send from. What is the paypal acct for your parents? Rich

  • Rehabber · Fort Walton Beach, FL · Member since 2011 · 240 posts · 48 votes
    14y

    I set up a paypal account today for [email protected]. Thanks so much all.

  • Wholesaler · Del Mar, CA · Member since 2011 · 58 posts · 17 votes
    14y

    You are in my prayers Sherry.

    And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose. Romans 8:28

  • Rehabber · Fort Walton Beach, FL · Member since 2011 · 240 posts · 48 votes
    14y

    Thank you for your prayers Luis, they are very much appreciated and desperately needed.

    I also want to thank Rich Weese and Ann Bellamy for their kind donations to help them. Its funny, we have been on facebook for years and have only received 2 donations from folks. Thank you so much BP friends, your contributions will definitely help them through this nightmare. If anyone else can make a donation, it is so appreciated. It can be done directly through paypal or through facebook at the above link.

    Thank you again my friends. I feel a little less helpless because of you.

  • Rehabber · Fort Walton Beach, FL · Member since 2011 · 240 posts · 48 votes
    14y

    We have some temporary living arrangements set up for them short term that will take their pets as well. It is a small slave quarter behind a friends home. That is definitely a relief. Atleast I am not worried that they won't have a roof over their head in the next few days. They were able to locate the keys to their vehicle too. They were covered in soot and soaking in water, but after being cleaned up and dried off, they do still start the truck. I will count that as one more small blessing through all of this.

  • Rehabber · Fort Walton Beach, FL · Member since 2011 · 240 posts · 48 votes
    14y

    [url]http://www.biggerpockets.com/galleries/show/15041

    I just got back from New Orleans. I picked up my parents pets because they could not stay where they were staying. I took these photos today. When I think about it, the breath catches in my throat. No insurance. I have no idea how they are going to come back from this being disabled. I would like to thank everyone for their kind words and also thank those that made a donation. It is more appreciated then you know. If anyone else would like to make a donation it can be made through paypal to the email [email protected]. Everyone's support have been priceless to me. Thank you.

  • Rehabber · Fort Walton Beach, FL · Member since 2011 · 240 posts · 48 votes
    14y

    Well that didn't work either. I am so bad at posting links on here. I guess you can copy and paste to the browser address bar. Sorry ya'll, I don't know what I am doing wrong.

  • FL · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 357 votes
    14y
  • Rehabber · Fort Walton Beach, FL · Member since 2011 · 240 posts · 48 votes
    14y

    Thank you so much Raymond! LOL, I definitely felt like I was having a severe blonde moment

  • Real Estate Investor · Los Angeles/Santa Barbara, CA · Member since 2011 · 102 posts · 14 votes
    14y

    Sherry Lewis, you are in our hearts & prayers. Life is so precious-please remember that you are all blessed, even/especially during this trying time.

    Be Well.

  • Rehabber · Fort Walton Beach, FL · Member since 2011 · 240 posts · 48 votes
    14y

    Thank you so much Sandy. Your kind words and prayers are greatly appreciated. I can see the roadblocks coming our way dealing with New Orleans Bureaucracy. My fathers insurance career will not pay for his pain meds because he had them filled 2 weeks ago. Apparently his meds burning in his home along with most everything he had in this world doesn't count. Insurance companies just amaze me sometimes. Did they think he should fight his way through the flames to get to that bathroom to rescue them because they are a controlled substance? It is beyond ridiculous and very infuriating. Phew I think I needed that little rant to vent.

  • Rental Property Investor · Buffalo, MN · Member since 2010 · 511 posts · 92 votes
    14y

    I am so sorry to hear this about your parents Sherry, think positive keep your head up and your in our hearts and prayers.

  • Rehabber · Fort Walton Beach, FL · Member since 2011 · 240 posts · 48 votes
    14y

    Thank you Bryan. Everyone's kind words, thoughts, prayers, support and donations are appreciated more then anyone could ever know.

  • Rehabber · Fort Walton Beach, FL · Member since 2011 · 240 posts · 48 votes
    14y

    Just wanted to give everyone an update. There have been a group of friends trying to sort through everything. The first 2 days were not as hard as they were in the front of the house. Yesterday they moved deeper into the house. Not finding much savable as what the fire didn't get, the water and smoke/soot damage took. So grateful to those that donated and sent well wishes. It is going to be a long road ahead.

    Now looking for some advice. Mom and Dad have asked me to figure out what they should do about the property. I have sent requests to several charitable organizations without any response. Was hoping I could get someone to donate materials/labor, but that is looking pretty bleak at this point. Should I just try to get the best possible price for it as it stands with the the lot? They are in the Bywater area of New Orleans on the good side of St. Claude. Nice houses in the area are going for 200k up to 500k. Can anyone give me an idea of how I should figure out what a fair price is? Thanks so much!

  • Commercial Real Estate Lender / Syndicator · Dallas, TX · Member since 2011 · 888 posts · 309 votes
    14y

    Hard to make suggestions without some info.

    - ARV (forget if burnout salvageable or not for the moment) and DOM?
    - If salvageable, cost to rehab including demo, etc?
    - Total cost to scrape, cap utilities, get permits/inspections/etc?
    - Cost to build new?
    - Any lots available in subdivision or nearby (comps, DOM)?
    - Lots are generally valued around 20-25% of total sales price here. What is it in that subdivision? May not get this price if you sold it, but helpful to know.
    - Area and subdivision trends?

  • Rental Property Investor · Mercer Island, WA · Member since 2008 · 22k+ posts · 14k+ votes
    14y

    Really sorry to hear about their plight, Sherry.

    Is there any demand for lots at all? I'm pretty sure there are many parts of NO where there are plenty of vacant lots left from Katrina. Sounds like this may be a better area.

    Is there anything that's salvageable of the house? Or is it going to have to be removed?

  • Rehabber · Fort Walton Beach, FL · Member since 2011 · 240 posts · 48 votes
    14y

    This is in a better area. I think they can rebuild the back half of the house, but it would need all new electrical, plumbing etc as that was all in the back half of the house. This is the Bywater area, It did not get flooded in Katrina so the area is definitely desired just because of that. I don't know about lots yet. I think there are very few lots available in that area though, pretty much everything is built on already.

    Thanks so much.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.