Attacked while working on rehab!!!!

Attacked while working on rehab!!!!

Investor · -, IL · Member since 2010 · 409 posts · 616 votes

So I just closed on another rental property and was over there doing some rehab earlier today.

As I was hauling some old rolls of carpet out to the dumpster I noticed this cute squirrel that was sitting on the front porch railing watching me. I thought it was intersting that he was letting me walk within about 3 feet of him each time and was not scared or running away. Little did I know he was plotting an attack.

On my next trip to the dumpster I shut the screen door and turned just in time to see my furry little friend doing this matrix style flying leap from the railing and wrapping himself around my bare leg (had on shorts).

So there I am with a roll of carpet on my shoulder, spinning in a circle, jumping on one leg trying to get this vicious beast off my other leg. I was able to give him a swift fling into the front yard where he then scampered up a tree.

After going back inside and seeing there were only a couple scratches I got another roll of carpet and headed for the front door laughing about watching the squirrel fly from me flinging him off my leg. I open the entry door and guess what I see......the little thug sitting on the railing looking at me through the screen door. Each time I would touch the door handle he would come running and scratch at the door.

So I figured I would outsmart him and go out the side door with the next roll of carpet. As I am walking up the driveway he pokes his head around the corner (front porch runs whole width of house) and just stares me down as I walk to the dumpster. The rest of the day we both just kept our distance from each other and everything went fine. Although he did get the last laugh as he went pee on the porch railing.

This got me to thinking, does anyone else have a story about run-ins with animals while working on a property?

8Reply
26 views

Most Popular Reply

Altus, OK · Member since 2008 · 2k+ posts · 690 votes
14y

I just had to do a little chop :mrgreen:

See this reply in the discussion

24 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Homeowner · Burleson, TX · Member since 2008 · 756 posts · 376 votes
    14y

    LOL. Pics or vids? Do you need a rabies shot? :)

  • Investor · -, IL · Member since 2010 · 409 posts · 616 votes
    14y

    I have both pics and video I just don't know how to put them so people can see.

  • Investor · San Ramon, CA · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 569 votes
    14y

    LOL... not working on a property... but had a similar run in with a baby squirrel in my driveway.

    About to get into the door of our Pathfinder and feel something on the top of my shoe. I figured it was just a leaf or something so shook my foot a little as I looked down... come to find this baby squirrel just sitting on my shoe staring at me. Startled the crap out of me as I jumped about 4 feet straight up in the air and kicked the foot turning baby squirrel into flying squirrel. Probably harmless... and dang cute... but definitely not what I expected to see on my foot!

    Best of luck with your nemesis... is the rehab completed or will this be an ongoing saga?

  • Investor · Round Rock, TX · Member since 2010 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    14y

    I couldn't stop laughing reading this! Thanks for sharing. Too funny!

  • Investor · -, IL · Member since 2010 · 409 posts · 616 votes
    14y

    Nathan,

    Due to the holidays I will probably be working on the rehab for another month or so. I won't be back there until later this week so it will be interesting to see if he tries it again.

    Gonna see if I can figure out how to get pic posted.

  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    14y

    Ryan -
    You can post them in a Gallery through the Dashboard by clicking on My Photos.

    As for the story - hysterical! Did you check to see if you needed a rabies shot? Those suckers are known to be carriers -- in fact, squirrels in Denver supposedly carried the plague a few years back (or so the news reported).

  • Investor · -, IL · Member since 2010 · 409 posts · 616 votes
    14y
  • Investor · -, IL · Member since 2010 · 409 posts · 616 votes
    14y

    I am like a monkey banging two rocks together when it comes to technology. That is as close as I could get to posting the pic from my gallery.

    @Josh - I told my wife if i start foaming at the mouth to let them know about the squirrel attack :)

    Woohoo, thank you for fixing the pic. Look at that wild beast. This was taken post attack when he was taunting me.

  • Portsmouth, OH · Member since 2009 · 198 posts · 54 votes
    14y

    That's a pretty good sized squirrel. You can tell he hasn't missed to many meals lol.

  • Investor · Colorado Springs, CO · Member since 2011 · 322 posts · 238 votes
    14y

    Ryan that was a funny story, but I am concerned like the others about rabies. Squirrels are not known to attack, although they will sometimes mob attack their predators. I don’t think its defending a litter, because it’s the wrong time of year. Mammals infected with rabies, will on the other hand express aggressive behavior. Couple of things you should be aware of which you may already know 1.rabies can incubate for months with no signs of symptoms and 2. It is 100% fatal. Except for the single case of a US service member here in Afghanistan who was treated with a new drug and now has the mental capacity of a two year old. I am not a doctor or an animal expert of any kind. But I have had to learn a little about rabies because of how prevalent it is over here. We have lost a couple of soldiers to rabies in the last couple of years even though we cull and have a strict policy of no pets. So every time you see those cute Afghan dog adoption stories on the evening news, shake your head because rabies is not cute. At least talk with your doctor. Good luck with property. F-ing funny story!

  • Homeowner · Burleson, TX · Member since 2008 · 756 posts · 376 votes
    14y

    I think I see a little bit of blood trickling from the corner of his mouth. haha

  • Investor · -, IL · Member since 2010 · 409 posts · 616 votes
    14y

    The only thing I can think is that this house was a REO that had a decent sized hole in the roof (big enough that when it rained a small stream of water literally came through what was left of the ceiling). The roofers are just finishing up a complete tear off and reshingle so it is water tight now.

    When I was gutting the room where the leak was, I pulled down the ceiling and the walls. I did find a couple of acorns when I was scooping up the rubble from the ceiling but thought nothing of it at the time. When I get back there later this week I am going to poke my head into the attic and I bet there is probably gonna be the squirrels stash of acorns for the winter. I wonder if he was trying to get in the house because the roof was fixed and he could not get in that way anymore.

  • Altus, OK · Member since 2008 · 2k+ posts · 690 votes
    14y

    I just had to do a little chop :mrgreen:

  • Rental Property Investor · Mercer Island, WA · Member since 2008 · 22k+ posts · 14k+ votes
    14y

    When I saw your title I thought somebody had attacked you while you were working. I'm relived its only one of these furry-tailed rats.

    They're thick as flies here in Denver. They harrass my dog and lounge on tree branches waiting for their next opportunity to be troublesome.

    Caused me plenty of trouble when I was a kid. They infested my grandpa's corn crib. My brother and I tag-teamed them. One of us would pull open the door and the other would start shooting. Unfortunately we didn't understand the difference between 22 long rifles and 22 shorts and our grandpa chewed us out for shooting holes in the roof!

  • Investor · -, IL · Member since 2010 · 409 posts · 616 votes
    14y

    No real damage done just a scratch on my leg and a bruised ego as the neighbors saw the whole thing. They really laughed when I hollered like a 7 year old girl scout.

  • Lender · Fort Pierce, FL · Member since 2009 · 825 posts · 486 votes
    14y

    Some time ago, I went backpacking in New Mexico. As I hiked along a trail that ran parallel to a stream, I noticed a squirrel in the trail about 25 feet ahead of me. The ground sloped down to the stream on my right and up towards a ridge line on my left. There were plenty of trees everywhere so I guessed that the squirrel would just run to one of the nearby trees as I approached it.

    WRONG

    It ran towards me and jumped on my leg and like you Ryan, I was wearing shorts. He only stayed there a second and then jumped off and found a "less noisy" tree.

    I worried because and I had entered the park I read signs that warned of rabid animals in the park.

    Luckily, I had no broken skin ... only stories to tell.

  • Investor · Little Rock, AR · Member since 2010 · 628 posts · 251 votes
    14y

    You have no doubt invaded his territory. I have squirrel troubles myself on a rehab. I evicted them last spring. They sat on tree branches and barked at me all Summer. I noticed a new hole in my facia the little buggers made last week. It is time to sting their little hineys with the Crossman again!!
    Don

  • Rehabber · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2011 · 8 posts · 3 votes
    14y

    Love the story! Too Funny!

  • Developer · Garland, TX · Member since 2008 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    14y

    You may have to offer the little guy cash for keys for him to go away.

  • Investor · Riverside, CA · Member since 2011 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    14y

    Squatters come in all shapes and sizes. Great story! Thanks for sharing.

  • Real Estate Investor · Member since 2009 · 34 posts · 8 votes
    14y

    Funny story....

    But I have to reply to the rabies comments. Squirrels are not typically known to be a carrier but they CAN be and you should be EXTREMELY worried about that.

    Animals that display behavior like you are describing are exhibiting the classic signs of rabies. Let me repeat that, these are the C. L. A. S. S. I. C. rabies characteristics.

    While everyone is having a good chuckle I want to point out that rabies is COMPLETELY fatal to humans unless you catch it very early. You are joking about foaming at the mouth, when it gets to that point you are already dead.

    I am not your doctor or part of your family but if you don't go see a professional about this you are crazy. It could be nothing in which case you are out the doctor's visit. On the other hand if you don't do something you could die a really really unpleasant death, it's that simple.

    Good luck with rehab and remember your health is MUCH more important.

  • Specialist · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 852 votes
    14y

    LOL!!!!! Awesome story! :mrgreen:

  • Real Estate Investor · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2011 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    14y

    How funny LOL !

  • Investor · -, IL · Member since 2010 · 409 posts · 616 votes
    14y

    Happy to report that I was back at the rehab today and the furry little thug was nowhere to be found. I did look in the attic and sure enough there was a ton of acorns, walnuts, etc. He must have been mad that with the new roof he could not get to his stash. I set most of the nuts under a tree outside so he could still have them for the winter.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.