Downside of working with real estate agent who is a friend

Downside of working with real estate agent who is a friend

Tucson, AZ · Member since 2008 · 945 posts · 45 votes

:cry:I thought I was working with an agent/friend to get a house for me. We had missed each other's calls for several days and then he didn't call back when I left messages. I had hoped for a call from him on Monday, but I saw the sold sign on Sunday. He still hasn't called.
I had a feeling, but didn't act on it. I have a feeling he's bought it out from under me, or sold it to someone else. Of course I have no proof, but I got this feeling... :badwords:
I thought we had a decent business relationship.
I won't ask him to be my buyers agent again.

0Reply
16 views

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Colorado Springs, CO · Member since 2008 · 29 posts · 1 vote
    19y

    I am sorry that happened to you. That is just wrong and if they continue at that rate, they will get a bad reputation very quickly. People like that need to be exposed.

    Where do you live?

    SHEP

  • GA · Member since 2008 · 173 posts · 16 votes
    19y

    Did you have a contract on the property? If not, anyone could have made an offer and the buyer could have accepted it. If the property was listed on MLS or anywhere else lots of potential buyers may have been interested in it. Now, the fact that he is not returning your calls is very bad business. I would keep trying to contact him and see what happened. He can't stop someone else from purchasing it. As a buyer's agent he works to get you the best deal but can't stop someone else from buying it. Let us know what you find out and best of luck to you.

  • Tucson, AZ · Member since 2008 · 945 posts · 45 votes
    19y

    No, No contract on it--needed info from the agent before making offer.
    It was not listed on MLS. I saw it on a yard sign. The agent didn't find it on MLS either. Yes, I do know lots of other people could have seen it, known about it, but it is tucked away in a corner...
    I don't know that I will pursue it or him.
    thanks

  • Boonies, PA · Member since 2008 · 333 posts · 15 votes
    19y

    I try not to mix my friends with my business, some don't even know that I have rentals. It just is not worth the head ache of a friend asking you to teach them about real estate. I just feel like giving them one of my 20 books I bought then see how bad they want to learn. Some realtors work hard and are honest but for every one of those there are 20 that are not. I learned like you the hard way on how this business is. I was with my so called buyers agent at the time riding in his car and I was telling him about the offer I wanted to make, He turned to me and said "If that house would sell for that amount I would buy it". I know then working with him is not in my best interest. Now I only contact the listing agent, and every time I hear "oh I work with investors all the time let me send you some listings" I tell them thats great and also included a list of repairs needed on the property and an ARV. long story short I never hear back from them. Just consider this a nice free leason from that awsome school of hard knocks were tuition can be anywere from $1- High as you can count. Lesson lived, Lesson learned Move on

  • Tucson, AZ · Member since 2008 · 945 posts · 45 votes
    19y
    Originally posted by "mach":
    I try not to mix my friends with my business, some don't even know that I have rentals.

    He's not a social friend. I had hired his FIL's co 10 years ago to manage my rental before he was either married to the daughter or an employee. He is now broker, and as we (me and company) have always had a good business relationship, I called him. I deal more with other staff much more than him.
    Originally posted by "mach":
    He turned to me and said "If that house would sell for that amount I would buy it".

    I can't help think that's exactly what happened. He knows my financial status and knew it wouldn't be a problem for me...

    Originally posted by "mach":
    I know then working with him is not in my best interest. Now I only contact the listing agent,... Just consider this a nice free leason from that awsome school of hard knocks were tuition can be anywere from $1- High as you can count. Lesson lived, Lesson learned Move on

    You're right, and there may be another house in that subdivision that may be better for me.
  • Wholesaler · Amarillo, TX · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 659 votes
    19y

    Just about everytime I buy a house through a realtor I hear, "wow for that price I would buy it." Of course they never do (not that some wouldn't), but most people would buy the houses I buy at the prices I buy them at, but they don't. They aren't willing to put in time, money, and effort to find the houses at the prices I find them at, and then they usually don't have the kahonas to offer as low as what I offer on the house anyway. That's why I buy them at that price and they just talk about it.

    Either way if your agent, friend or not, went around you like that, then they are being extremely unethical not to mention breaking their legal fiduciary duties to you. I personally would research it and find out if he was the one who bought it. If he was I would feel obligated to atleast make a complaint to the real estate commission about the agent. Agents like that give a bad name to the ones that are honest.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.