How much are you spending on groceries? Am I crazy?

How much are you spending on groceries? Am I crazy?

Monroe, WI · Member since 2017 · 12 posts · 1 vote
So, as I embark in my real estate investing dream, I'm starting to analyze every where I spend money. I just read a post about how it was hard for some people to even come up with $400 in case of an emergency. Throughout that post there were several comments about how people were spending their money, and in that they were saying that $200 a month was what they were spending on groceries. Those may only be people who are single, or hsve other circumstances, but it still intrigues my curiosity. So here I am, a husband with a wife and a toddler and we spend about $180 per week between Walmart and Aldis. Now, I know we're not getting only the bare essentials but I don't feel like we're going crazy either. I'm just writing this to see if other families of 3 or 4 can comment on what their normal spending habits are for groceries per week or per month, and maybe I can realize if we're doing something really wrong, or if we're doing okay. I have tried the big box discount Club stores, but the hour drive doesn't seem to offset the two or three dollars I'll save on a 600 pack of paper towel rolls
0Reply
13 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Catskill, NY · Member since 2018 · 636 posts · 668 votes
    8y

    I'm (sorta) with you.  We spend at least $120-130/week, sometimes more, for my wife and I and two kids. However, my kids (boys) are almost 8 and 11.  I shop mostly at Wal-Mart because it's the most convenient.  I realize that convenience it's probably costing me a lot of money.  After listening to some podcasts about cutting grocery bills, that's where I plan to focus my attention to start.  Hopefully you can find a way to cut your expenses there as well.  

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.