Searching for original blueprints for a house built in the 50's

Searching for original blueprints for a house built in the 50's

Specialist · Fayetteville, AR · Member since 2018 · 17 posts · 20 votes

I was driving around a neighborhood looking at a few listings and came upon a house that was unlike any other.  It was down a side street off a middle class neighborhood and just stuck out like a sore thumb.  The home was architecturally stunning so I jotted down the address.  When I got home I looked up the address and found that it once had belonged to one of the most well known business men in the area.  I was able to see that he purchased the land in 1955 and am now interested to see who he had design the home for him.  Is information like this easily found?  I'm assuming public records may have this somewhere but hoping someone has gone through a similar effort and can provide some pointers.

I'm new to BP and was unsure where to post this so let me know if you have a better suggestion!

0Reply
16 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Nassau County, NY · Member since 2016 · 82 posts · 43 votes
8y
@Colin Gearity - start with the local Building Department. The original building permit paperwork should have some drawings.
See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Nassau County, NY · Member since 2016 · 82 posts · 43 votes
    8y
    @Colin Gearity - start with the local Building Department. The original building permit paperwork should have some drawings.
  • Specialist · Fayetteville, AR · Member since 2018 · 17 posts · 20 votes
    8y

    @Carol C. - Thank you!

  • Dave Van HornPro Member
    Fund Manager · Wayne, PA · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    @Colin Gearity

    You could also try reaching out to the current owner to see if they have any info.

  • Dave Van HornPro Member
    Fund Manager · Wayne, PA · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    Also if the builder bought the lot initially, you could find the original architect through public record that way. The builder's firm could definitely be out of business by now, but it could be a start if their papers went anywhere.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.